Canon 1D Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by megaweb
so when is Willy going to get it ??? put in the buying list liao ?

Dunno... now that Foveon technology is announced, I will wait till after PMA to see if any of the new canons are fitted with the x3... otherwise I might get the D60.. 1D or not will have to depend on business needs... otherwise I'm not able to justify the price for 'hobby' purposes...

Personally, isn't it quite dumb basing purchasing choices on technology that's either rumoured, or not even on the market for buyers?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Hi, are you going pro or something?

Don't forget cost of computers and printers.

I don't know if I may be 'qualified' to go pro yet... I haven't shot enough with SLRs to be pro there.. Hopefully the skills and the little knowledge I gathered can get me started somewhere..

Originally posted by Richard
Personally, isn't it quite dumb basing purchasing choices on technology that's either rumoured, or not even on the market for buyers?

PMA is on the 24th Feb... just a few days more to wait.... that's when they will be all announced... so it won't be a rumour then... until then... I'm just planning to be able to budget... am I doing it wrongly?? Or should I just buy what is available now and regret 1 week later when I learn that the D60 is fitted with a X3 foveon and goes for $4.5k??? (How I wish...)

Nope. It's just that all these cameras won't be available until at least six months after announcement. And after that, you haven't factored in reviews that will give you the pluses and minuses of the camera itself. What happens if the rumoured D60 has a major flaw that will only be fixed by Canon 3 months later after the market release? That's like at least 9 months down the road in purchasing the camera.

hmmm....yo willy, wouldn't really suggest you taking the plunge so soon....wait a while first....see if there are any problems with the camera, 11K is a lot of money....not to mention the accessories.....IMHO...

Originally posted by Richard
Nope. It's just that all these cameras won't be available until at least six months after announcement. And after that, you haven't factored in reviews that will give you the pluses and minuses of the camera itself. What happens if the rumoured D60 has a major flaw that will only be fixed by Canon 3 months later after the market release? That's like at least 9 months down the road in purchasing the camera.

Understood... that's when I would have to balance the features vs waiting time to see if it makes sense... ie.. if the D60 is indeed a better value than the 1D and costs half the price, then I woudn't want to blow 11k on a camera that I would regret.

The point is probably just holding back a while more (3 days) to see what's available next. I'm not in a terrible hurry, I just don't want to make a choice I might regret. 10k less will make me a very poor man... 20k less and you will find me sitting on the floor along orchard road shooting 8fps at people throwing coins into my hat.

Originally posted by dragos
hmmm....yo willy, wouldn't really suggest you taking the plunge so soon....wait a while first....see if there are any problems with the camera, 11K is a lot of money....not to mention the accessories.....IMHO...

I know... if I'm getting the 1D, I will have a business justification for it... (I might not be coming out the money myself)... otherwise I'll get the D60 from my own pocket... unless there are other cameras available by the time I get it... which may not be that fast... I tend to do quite a bit of research before getting something..

There is also a good timeframe before the product is available where the pro reviewers will test the stuff and post their opinions for me to consider...

Originally posted by willyfoo

Understood... that's when I would have to balance the features vs waiting time to see if it makes sense... ie.. if the D60 is indeed a better value than the 1D and costs half the price, then I woudn't want to blow 11k on a camera that I would regret.

The point is probably just holding back a while more (3 days) to see what's available next. I'm not in a terrible hurry, I just don't want to make a choice I might regret. 10k less will make me a very poor man... 20k less and you will find me sitting on the floor along orchard road shooting 8fps at people throwing coins into my hat.

Hat not deep enough... I'll bring a pail... :bsmilie: ;p

Wat rumours have your heard about the D60?? I am waiting for it to see whether it is a good buy....

epos

Personally, I find that 1D is very ex. And most users probably hv no need of all its features, esp the 8fps.

Willy, think you should wait and see. Hopefully, Canon will turn up something during this PMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.