Canon’s Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]

Halfmoon

Feb 26, 2005
Hougang, Singapore.
timthumb.php

Fall 2012
Once again, we hear about a new “entry level” full frame camera being added to the Canon lineup in the fall. The specs for the camera have been quite broad, which is normal when there are various prototypes out and about. Below are the most talked about specifications, and probably the closest to the actual camera.

Specifications

22mp (Same sensor as 5D3)
19 AF Points
4fps
ISO 100-51200
3″ LCD
Smaller than the 5D Mark II
More Plastic than metal in the construction
Pop-Up Flash (On at least one prototype)
$1999 USD at launch
Launched with a new non-L full frame kit lens (Undisclosed what the lens is)
Compatible with full frame STM lenses

Lots more to come on this topic.

cr

Canon New Full Frame......... very interesting, and at rumored US$1999 launch price.... it is very tempting............. if it is true...........

Everything's a rumour until officially announced. But still gd news for those upgrading to FF.

Sounds like a FF 60D, with a 7D AF module ?

Would be useful to have the T4I's articulated touch screen though. Hope they don't take away the micro-adjust feature of the higher end bodies at that price point.

Everything's a rumour until officially announced. But still gd news for those upgrading to FF.

Wow, forgot to turn on the Pop-up Flash layer when save as jpg.....................

This will make a great second body for a MkIII user.

At a rumoured introductory price of US$1999, it'll probably take sales away from new or 2nd hand 5D MkII. Any owners of the 5D MkII who intend to sell their cameras better sell them soon or take a substantial discount in price.

At a rumoured introductory price of US$1999, it'll probably take sales away from new or 2nd hand 5D MkII. Any owners of the 5D MkII who intend to sell their cameras better sell them soon or take a substantial discount in price.

Take a look at DP review's RAW comparison page and you'll realize that the IQ of the 5D MkII is actually slightly better then the mark III - at least up to ISO 1600 and to my eyes ISO 3200. ;-) I don't know why nor have I the means to compare them for my self. Use the cursor tool and look at the feathers, then the kodak chart with the numbers and the red black and orange bands. Take a look at the watch face. In all instances the MkII looks better. From ISO 6400 onwards the MkIII RAW shots look the best. The Comparison Tool at DP review allows you to select any camera model. I compared the Canon 5DmkII/Canon 5DMkIII/Nikon D800/Nikon D700. The Nikon D700 is no slough either and has a rather nice high ISO output. Also the Nikon colours "out of the box" are subjectively nicer. But if you need to do some videography then it's hobson's choice - you either nave to pick the D800 or canon's offerings. A FF camera with 12MP like the 5D or Nikon's D700 would be nice esp if they did not include videography and focused on photography. A simple digital box. But I know that wont happen unless they hire a Fuji marketing guy. :)

Last edited:
I'm not surprised with this rumour, just wondering why Canon took so long to consider this.

A lower-end FF camera with specs that are lower than the higher-end APS-C to attract users and increase their EF audience. It's never the camera that really earns them their $$, it's the lenses. Curious to see what the final specs will be.

Haha I find it odd that Canon 1D/ 1Ds product separation is happening on semi-pro bodies. In future we will have 7D Mark II and entry-level FF bodies; one for sports another for landscapers and studio photographers :p

Then after few years Canon will announce a 7DX lol!

Sound like a FF+60D+7D combo ... at sub USD$1999.00 is the sweet spot ... let's wait ...

" ... The best way to predict future is to invent it ..."

This would be a present from Canon. ;p

launch it together with the 24-70L II.. double happiness for Canon users :bsmilie:

launch it together with the 24-70L II.. double happiness for Canon users :bsmilie:

I don't think I can afford the 24-70 II, and I think it will cost more than the FF body. :dunno:

I don't think I can afford the 24-70 II, and I think it will cost more than the FF body. :dunno:

I won't pay 3K for a freaking general purpose zoom seriously... at that price I'd rather buy a 70-200L II or some good primes! :bsmilie:

But nonetheless, many dudes are waiting for it. :)

I don't care much for the 24-70 II since I have my eyes set on Tamron's version with VC already :bsmilie:

Sadly... No Money No Talk for me.... LOL :bsmilie:

Waiting for launch/reviews then see how...