Can you use any microphone for video recording [Canon 60d]

ICPIXELS

Mar 30, 2012
Hi Bros,

I am very new in video making, tried a few videos I think its pretty cool.

However the sound quality is really bad, so I decided to see if I can use any external mic.

All the micphone I found are really big (shotgun mics), I just want a small/mini stereo mic to be used on my dslr.

May I know do you need any special mics for the dslr? (canon 60d)?

Can I use those small laptop pc mic?

This is not because of budget but more towards discret.

Thanks!

just get h4n or h1n , those are good recording tools since you dont like shotgun mics lol. theres lots of wireless mic too , you gotta research!

Thanks, but I am asking if I can use a pc mic for the video, I seldom use mic for the video recording, I dont have a pc mic or I would definitely have tried it out.

Let's put it another way. If you want to shoot a portrait, would you use any old lens to shoot or get a proper portrait lens with the recommended focal lengths (e.g. 85mm etc)?

The proper tool for the job is the way to approach this. As some1 else has already said, do your research.

ICPIXELS>>> Whatever rocks your boat. Just don't forget to fine tune it in post. :) I, myself, have played the pc mic before. I would say I dun like the quality. I would rather use in-camera audio. ;) And you have to be very very up-close and personal with the subject if you want to record his sounds...

Last edited:
I am asking if I can use PC mic, I am not asking for anything else. I did my research online before creating this thread.

Please kindly read my first and previous message. Please do not proclaim to be a cs police by asking people to do research of things they are NOT looking for. It is my choice whether I want to use a old len to shoot for protrait.
Let's put it another way. If you want to shoot a portrait, would you use any old lens to shoot or get a proper portrait lens with the recommended focal lengths (e.g. 85mm etc)?

The proper tool for the job is the way to approach this. As some1 else has already said, do your research.

Thanks bro, I think your advice is most useful. If the quality of PC mic is worse than the in-cam audio, I will just use the in cam audio. Thanks.
ICPIXELS>>> Whatever rocks your boat. Just don't forget to fine tune it in post. :) I, myself, have played the pc mic before. I would say I dun like the quality. I would rather use in-camera audio. ;) And you have to be very very up-close and personal with the subject if you want to record his sounds...

Last edited: