Can someone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LittleWolf said:
1/4000s might be around what you get with studio flashlights, no? :)
Huh?

I only know when Nikon launch the FM2 that time, that the first fully mechanical camera can have 1/4000s shutter.

When shooting with studio lights, camera with lens/leaf shutter can syn till 1/500s, other camera with focal plane shutter, maximum syn speed is between 1/30 till 1/250, AFAIK, only Nikon D70/D70s can syn with flash till 1/8000 (unofficial record). Anyway nobody really need that high syn in the studio.

If it is outdoor (sunny F16) condition, and I need to shoot at f2, with the lower ISO (ISO200), that the only chance that I will use 1/4000s. Btw, should use 1/8000 at the beach. But the wheather so hot, how to shoot? I would rather stay in the shade.:bsmilie:

can you recommend some places or internet,so I can start searching from there.

Try the second hand shops, but seriously you should try posting in the Buy and Sell Subforum. 10D might be a better choice. At least that one I can get anytime.

catchlights said:
Huh?

I only know when Nikon launch the FM2 that time, that the first fully mechanical camera can have 1/4000s shutter.

Hint: exposure time is determined by how long light hits the film, not how long some mechanical shutter device is open. ;)

LittleWolf said:
Hint: exposure time is determined by how long light hits the film, not how long some mechanical shutter device is open. ;)
Ok, I get what you mean now, but all alone we are talking about shutter speed here, not the flash duration. In that case, I always shoot faster than that, how 'bout 1/41600s? :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Honestly, I can't recall when I ever shoot anything at 1/4000s,

anyway, if it is outdoor under bright sun light (Sunnny f16) , for using f3.5, with 1/4000s, your ISO should be around 96000 (4½ stops).

Wah piang! heheheheh.... Seriously, you try that?!!! damn! heheh :bsmilie:

sammy888 said:
Wah piang! heheheheh.... Seriously, you try that?!!! damn! heheh :bsmilie:
Of course not lar..... just doing some exposure calculation for fun lor.

Anyway, How to set ISO to 96000? your camera can meh?:bsmilie:

I hate to ask this but why on earth would anyone want to shoot at 1/4000?

jeremyftk said:
air plane landing, space shuttle taking off, kana chase by dogs......
maybe want to shoot with wide open using f1.2 lens.....
or photographer suffer from parkinson disease....

Hmmm... Don't remember ever using such settings even when I'm chasing a plane... Haha... :bsmilie:

jeremyftk said:
Hmmm... Don't remember ever using such settings even when I'm chasing a plane... Haha... :bsmilie:
chasing plane...the highest i ever got on iso 200 is err...1/800.:bsmilie: good sunlight.

JediForce4ever said:
chasing plane...the highest i ever got on iso 200 is err...1/800.:bsmilie: good sunlight.

I think your plane is an old propeller plane. :bigeyes: You should try chasing a jet plane instead. :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Of course not lar..... just doing some exposure calculation for fun lor.

Anyway, How to set ISO to 96000? your camera can meh?:bsmilie:

Thot your can mah! hahahah.....Maybe you re-program it somehow heh.

Actually come to think of it...in these day of fully electronic and computer chip in the DSLRs.. I wonder if it can be "hack". That would be interesting heheh.. then iso96000 could be possible....

I dont need so fast a shutter speed to capture the plane....what propeller plane?Propeller planes, we don use suach a fast shutter speed to freeze the props.

LittleWolf said:
1/4000s might be around what you get with studio flashlights, no? :)

nope. each blast of studio flash will usually last quite a bit longer than 1/4000s, so u'll tend to get an underexposed pic.

anyway, when shutter speeds are slower than that of the flash duration, it has little effect on flash exposure. when shutter speeds are faster than that of flash duration, there is a tendency towards flash underexposure as could be expected.

anyway, i used to have a relatively cheap camera that could sync as fast as 1/10000s.... but only when the flash duration is faster than that (meaning the subject is very close, high iso is used or the amount of light given out by the flash per unit time is high).

sammy888 said:
Thot your can mah! hahahah.....Maybe you re-program it somehow heh.

Actually come to think of it...in these day of fully electronic and computer chip in the DSLRs.. I wonder if it can be "hack". That would be interesting heheh.. then iso96000 could be possible....
:bsmilie:
Ok lah, lets not make fun on this again, hope the thread starter can start reading some basic photography books and learn something from here.:)

catchlights said:
:bsmilie:
Ok lah, lets not make fun on this again, hope the thread starter can start reading some basic photography books and learn something from here.:)

yea u r rite. but u r wrong on one thing.

i hope u are joking abt the parkinson disease thingy, i dun see it as anything funny down here. We are here to discuss and talk things in a mature manner & not to spout rubbish.

jeremyftk said:

special effects
taken at maybe 1/30,000 of a sec
not using shutter.
using special short duration flash.
when something is dropped into a pan of milk and you freeze the splash
have you not seen pang piow kan's prize winning photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.