Can I upgrade my HD by.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
as in, there is no sale for 1 gb of ddr stick IIRC. the maximum cap per module is only 512mb.

because now got DDR 2 already wad, so they cut production.

and btw ram prices are sky high thanks to crappy situation in taiwan, practically everyone in sls want to kick CSB ass man :D

I see....

1GB enough to do those slideshow DVD? all high res pix from my 5D...

been using this laptop for internet and email so far, did use it once to edit image...abit slow...now decided to use it to do slideshow instead of my Mac...because PC got alot of nice software for slideshows...he he...

hi matt, ghost or rather (hantu, lol, we like to call it hantu at our work place.) may work. it is not 100% because some hidden files cannot be cloned. i got customers when we try to clone it with ghost, the system can start and load windows but will hang frequently.

but then if max's hdd is fully clean. no bad sectors or whatsoever. shld not be a problem

Wanz,

Which version are you using? We're using version 2003 and version 10 at my office (9 has some issues) and both have been solid performers. When used correctly, every file can be copied (except those in bad sectors) and if you do a complete image, even non-standard partitions can be copied.

_

mac better mah. got keynote and iPhoto. aperture also. LOL.

hmm in that case. i suggest you get a full fledge system to do these kind of stuff. 5D pics on laptop for editing and stuff confirm die. LOL.

IMO 1 gb cannot go too far to edit photos. 5D pics around 10mb plus, use photoshop, eat up dunno how much ram liao. not to consider the number of other background processes you have.

as for slideshows, i believe it is possible.

dun mind intro system for u now. LOL.

intel E6300
ram 2 gb
hdd 80gb + 250gb
graphic card just get normal. 7300GS can liao. lagi better. integrated.
some decent PSU. antec 430W true
CM5 or CM 532

for power system you just need fast processor lots of rams and fast hdd.

if you are willing to wait, wait for quad core intels.

and btw ram prices are sky high thanks to crappy situation in taiwan, practically everyone in sls want to kick CSB ass man :D

Yah! Extremely high...:angry:

I bought 2 pieces of 1GB 533 RAM for SG$129 each for my new system...when I went back a week later, to get 2 more, I found that it had shot to SG$179 :eek: Decided to live with 2GB and wait a while...:cry:

_

Wanz,

Which version are you using? We're using version 2003 and version 10 at my office (9 has some issues) and both have been solid performers. When used correctly, every file can be copied (except those in bad sectors) and if you do a complete image, even non-standard partitions can be copied.

_

that's why. one will never know if the hdd has bad sectors or not.

my experience with hdds that have no bad sectors all yield postitive results

non standard partitions definitely too:D

i use RAID 1. :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

mac better mah. got keynote and iPhoto. aperture also. LOL.

hmm in that case. i suggest you get a full fledge system to do these kind of stuff. 5D pics on laptop for editing and stuff confirm die. LOL.

IMO 1 gb cannot go too far to edit photos. 5D pics around 10mb plus, use photoshop, eat up dunno how much ram liao. not to consider the number of other background processes you have. Also, this laptop small and easy to carry also...very light.

as for slideshows, i believe it is possible.

dun mind intro system for u now. LOL.

intel E6300
ram 2 gb
hdd 80gb + 250gb
graphic card just get normal. 7300GS can liao. lagi better. integrated.
some decent PSU. antec 430W true
CM5 or CM 532

for power system you just need fast processor lots of rams and fast hdd.

if you are willing to wait, wait for quad core intels.

Thanks Wanz,

I need to stick to laptop because I want to bring laptop to hotel to do those express slideshow.Now I bring home to do with Mac...alot of time wasted in travelling, sometime hor, I become late for the evening shoot...

This laptop not good for photo editing...abit slow...thats why no PS in this laptop....only PS element...
Thats why I thinking of upgrading this entry level laptop...

Thanks Wanz,

I need to stick to laptop because I want to bring laptop to hotel to do those express slideshow.Now I bring home to do with Mac...alot of time wasted in travelling, sometime hor, I become late for the evening shoot...

then i think whack ram and hdd liao. have a point, sometimes CF card run out of space need to transfer, wedding shoots also need to present slide shows at night as well?

512mb ram is 103 dollars.

100gb hdd is 154 dollars,
120gb hdd is 192 dollars

160gb a bit ex, near 300.

why not consider external hdd solution? perform quite well as well. :D

Thanks Wanz,

then i think whack ram and hdd liao. have a point, sometimes CF card run out of space need to transfer, wedding shoots also need to present slide shows at night as well?

if you are in luck, some other stores may have the 1 gb module, old stock. but then need to pay high prices man.

120gb hdd is 192 dollars

120gb hdd is 192 dollars

Yah thats what I thought lor...

I think 100-120gb should be enough liao....let say I shoot 1000 to 1200pix, its about 6-8gb only... If no major editing, should be fine...now have to know how much HD can this laptop take...can't find on the net.

Yah thats what I thought lor...

I think 100-120gb should be enough liao....let say I shoot 1000 to 1200pix, its about 6-8gb only... If no major editing, should be fine...now have to know how much HD can this laptop take...can't find on the net.

i guess u are well enough with 80gb already. u need speed. not exactly capacity. since you can transfer all over to ur main system when reach home.

get the 7200rpm version. :D

as for external ones if u dun mind the bulk, grab the 3.5 inch one. 750gb of hdd space. :lovegrin:

Not so worried about the capacity too..actually I have 2 200GB Ext HDs attached to my Mac for me to backup files when I finish a job. Heavy lah...imagine full gear plus laptop plus ext HD....Full Battle Order...ha ha

Hmmm..if 80GB I do have one in one of my Digimate....:think: but I thought when image file is opened up in photo editing software they'll use up about 3 times the size in the HD...meaning a 36mb file become 108mb? Read it somewhere before...

Not so worried about the capacity too..actually I have 2 200GB Ext HDs attached to my Mac for me to backup files when I finish a job. Heavy lah...imagine full gear plus laptop plus ext HD....Full Battle Order...ha ha

Hmmm..if 80GB I do have one in one of my Digimate....:think: but I thought when image file is opened up in photo editing software they'll use up about 3 times the size in the HD...meaning a 36mb file become 108mb? Read it somewhere before...

that one i not very sure. but then editing does take up a hell lot of space. page files and action history. stuff like that. lol.

Thanks Wanz & Matt, really appreciate your help....now just wait for Sitex....

Thanks Wanz & Matt, really appreciate your help....now just wait for Sitex....

BBB. :bheart:

you're welcome :)

u can use your digimate as ext hdd if not enough space

luckily my office laptop got 1.5GB ram, dunno where they go and find 1GB module that time

Hey Max. If you need help with Ghost, I can help you. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.