Can 1 cent coins still be use to transact in local?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I was woking part time as a cashier, on the eve of chinese new year, we had ran out of all coins except 5 cent coins. When I gave back a customer 5 cent as change, he rejected, saying '5 cent no class' So if 5 cent 'no class', what about 1 cent?:bsmilie:

This is highly interesting... heres a direct link to the Currency Act

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...title=CURRENCY ACT%Oa&date=latest&method=part

Look under PART III Section 13 (3)

Subsection (4) and (5) talk about the use of the money to settle a debt. If I interprete it right, it says that a payee can reject all your one cents if he has given written notice. If he has no written notice then you can settle your $2 debt in one cents.... (Correct me if I am wrong)

Slightly OT but further down the act theres a section on photography of the currency....

i think your interpretation is correct.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...title=CURRENCY ACT%Oa&date=latest&method=part

Subsection (4) and (5) talk about the use of the money to settle a debt. If I interprete it right, it says that a payee can reject all your one cents if he has given written notice. If he has no written notice then you can settle your $2 debt in one cents.... (Correct me if I am wrong)

Slightly OT but further down the act theres a section on photography of the currency....

Back when I was woking part time as a cashier, on the eve of chinese new year, we had ran out of all coins except 5 cent coins. When I gave back a customer 5 cent as change, he rejected, saying '5 cent no class' So if 5 cent 'no class', what about 1 cent?:bsmilie:

those ppl u described who rejects 5 cents coins r "the not-so-poor and trying to show that they have class." it had often been said that if u throw a bag of 1 cent coins at a group of people, u will discover that only some will pick it up. those who pick it up comes from the opposite end of the pole - the haves and the have-nots. the haves pick it up bcz they got a use for it. the have-nots pick it up bcz they have a need for it.

ot a bit -
1. most asian countries has tight laws which requires u to respect the currencies eg if u deface by tearing, burning , caricature or show contempt is a criminal offence.
2. u often see in newspapers of demonstrators burning US currencies in USA but not seen burning of local curriencies in other countries (of course we see alot of demonstrators burning the currencies and flags of other countries but not their local currencies/flag)

hah...my 7-Eleven store downstair dun even accept my 50cent coins for a $10 transaction.
either I pay him a $10 bill or he wont sell me..

I thought retailer cannot reject currency/coins..
haiz...

it's not that the staff dun wan to take in your $10 worth of 50cents.
cos they have to count to make sure that it's really $10, nothing more, nothing less.
this will hold up the queue.
furthermore, each pos will have sufficient amount of coins for the shifts.
even not enough, the staff can change coins with their partners.

it's not that the staff dun wan to take in your $10 worth of 50cents.
cos they have to count to make sure that it's really $10, nothing more, nothing less.
this will hold up the queue.
furthermore, each pos will have sufficient amount of coins for the shifts.
even not enough, the staff can change coins with their partners.

$1 coin are the easiest to count, while 50 cent coins are in second place. It would take less than 1 minute to count 50 cent coins worth SGD 10. In fact, where I used to work, we love people who give SGD 10 worth of 50 cent coins. 50 cent coins run out fast! Sometimes, I have customers who pay for SGD 70 using coins. :thumbsup:

$1 coin are the easiest to count, while 50 cent coins are in second place. It would take less than 1 minute to count 50 cent coins worth SGD 10. In fact, where I used to work, we love people who give SGD 10 worth of 50 cent coins. 50 cent coins run out fast! Sometimes, I have customers who pay for SGD 70 using coins. :thumbsup:

wow...
i the staff at my store does that sure kenna wack by the next shift people cos like that sure not enough notes to last for the next shift.

I can confirm 1 cent coins still in use. Call Pizza delivery last Saturday. Cost $18.85, i was given five 1 cents coins and one 10 cent for return change of $19.00 by the delivery guy. Apparently, he kept a pouch of 1 cents coins to be given to buyers when there is short of 5 cents coins in use.

Then yesterday, i order McDonalds breakfast delivery and in return i gave the five 1 cents coins as part of the payment. Delivery guy accepts without questioning.

yes, affirmative. do note that Mas has stopped producing 1 ct coins.

I can confirm 1 cent coins still in use. Call Pizza delivery last Saturday. Cost $18.85, i was given five 1 cents coins and one 10 cent for return change of $19.00 by the delivery guy. Apparently, he kept a pouch of 1 cents coins to be given to buyers when there is short of 5 cents coins in use.

Then yesterday, i order McDonalds breakfast delivery and in return i gave the five 1 cents coins as part of the payment. Delivery guy accepts without questioning.

Well, if u're a boss of a retail shop and a customer uses this law to his effect to make u accept 1cent coins which u have no idea what to do with it....

Lets see if there would be a happy customer-happy retailer relationship if everyone were to quote laws at every turn. :think:

Well, if u're a boss of a retail shop and a customer uses this law to his effect to make u accept 1cent coins which u have no idea what to do with it....

Lets see if there would be a happy customer-happy retailer relationship if everyone were to quote laws at every turn. :think:
The point is that retailers cannot not accept the 1 cent coins or 5 cent coins outright for payments within the law. They can only do this if they have given a written notice.

What some have been facing is that they have tried to make payments with small change and have been rejected outright and mostly without an explaination. This is on the retailer's part rejecting legal tender! This wouldn't make much retailer-customer relationship either. I don't think retailers would want customers going to forums to complain about their shop right?

What would not be good is retailers and customers going at each other's necks and reciting quotes from the law. What would be good however, would be retailers giving an explaination for rejecting the 1/5 cents. They can even put up a written notice. If they didn't, then they can still try getting an understanding from the customers. If tghe customer still wants to pay in small change, then the retailer cannot reject it as its within the law.

I quoted the above law not for CSers to go about printing this and reciting it to shopkeepers.(though they can do this). I quoted it to clear up the doubts about using small change. I know that retailers have a hard life serving customers' fancies and requests. However, that is what the service industry is about.

Hope this will clear doubts up.

The point is that retailers cannot not accept the 1 cent coins or 5 cent coins outright for payments within the law. They can only do this if they have given a written notice.

What some have been facing is that they have tried to make payments with small change and have been rejected outright and mostly without an explaination. This is on the retailer's part rejecting legal tender! This wouldn't make much retailer-customer relationship either. I don't think retailers would want customers going to forums to complain about their shop right?

What would not be good is retailers and customers going at each other's necks and reciting quotes from the law. What would be good however, would be retailers giving an explaination for rejecting the 1/5 cents. They can even put up a written notice. If they didn't, then they can still try getting an understanding from the customers. If tghe customer still wants to pay in small change, then the retailer cannot reject it as its within the law.

I quoted the above law not for CSers to go about printing this and reciting it to shopkeepers.(though they can do this). I quoted it to clear up the doubts about using small change. I know that retailers have a hard life serving customers' fancies and requests. However, that is what the service industry is about.

Hope this will clear doubts up.
I'm not very sure abt what most ppl's perception of what 'service industry ought to be' actually.

But personally, I dun dig up 5cents or 1cents change to make up a single digit amount if I have dollar notes.

Imagine, just imagine.... U're working at the cinema counter selling tickets, its a Friday evening and the queue's horrible. The customer in front of u passes u 2x $10 note to pay for a $14 ticket, the customer's friend hops in and say, "Hey wait. Dun pay first. Pay seperately. I need to get rid of my coins." and digs out.... $7 worth of 10cents, 20cents and u have to count them twice manually (with no coin counting machine available) cos any shortage would simply mean u have to fork outta of ur pay to make up the difference in the shortfall between the registered amount and actual amount. :bigeyes:

Speaking from experience from more than 8yrs ago BTW. :bsmilie: Think of the poor chap who probably have to count them twice over, keep that smile AND serve others quickly.

I believe in a proverb "Do unto others what others would do unto you". Its not a "Customer is King" thingy I feel.

Anyway, just a personal thought. Peace. :)

I would say its more of a mutal understanding for the person at the counter and maybe the rest of the people in a queue. Please don't get me wrong, I am not the type who subcribes to the "Customer is King" mentality. Retailers don't want so many coins at once. Customers want to throw off all thier coins at once. Instead of using all your 10 years of change collection at once, one could use them on vending machines (indirectly you may make someone count more). Use them to top up your ez-link card at the MRT machine, buy more drinks from the vending machine at the corridor etc... Use them slowly over time rather than all at once which can piss people off. Another method is to plan your purchases so that you don't get so many coins back, or use notes and coins together ie, for a $5.95 purchase, you can use 5 dollar note and 95 cents of coin. Its about being actively considerate about how the shopkeeper will feel as well as getting rid of your coin stockpile.;)

Or you can write in to MAS and ask them to abolish coins and use notes only....:confused:

something from mas website. for info.

[Dear Sir,

I refer to "Shopkeeper refused to take my 5-cent coins" (The New Paper Speak Up, 2 October 2006).

2. Under the Currency Act, retailers must accept payment in any denomination within the legal tender limits. For 5-cent coins, the legal tender limit is $2. If retailers do not wish to accept a particular denomination of currency notes or coins, they should display notices prominently at their premises. This is stated in the Currency Act.

3. Mr Tan may want to provide MAS with details of the retailer concerned to enable us to advise them on the various legal limits for coin denominations under the Currency Act. Mr Tan can contact either Mr Muthusamy Silvarajoo (tel: 6349 4660) or Ms Agatha Goh (tel: 6349 4615).

Yours sincerely,
Angelina Fernandez
Director (Communications)

Last modified on 26/3/2007
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Best viewed using IE 6.0+ at 1024x768 resolution
Copyright © 2007 Monetary Authority of Singapore]

I thought this is a cashless society?
I would say its more of a mutal understanding for the person at the counter and maybe the rest of the people in a queue. Please don't get me wrong, I am not the type who subcribes to the "Customer is King" mentality. Retailers don't want so many coins at once. Customers want to throw off all thier coins at once. Instead of using all your 10 years of change collection at once, one could use them on vending machines (indirectly you may make someone count more). Use them to top up your ez-link card at the MRT machine, buy more drinks from the vending machine at the corridor etc... Use them slowly over time rather than all at once which can piss people off. Another method is to plan your purchases so that you don't get so many coins back, or use notes and coins together ie, for a $5.95 purchase, you can use 5 dollar note and 95 cents of coin. Its about being actively considerate about how the shopkeeper will feel as well as getting rid of your coin stockpile.;)

Or you can write in to MAS and ask them to abolish coins and use notes only....:confused:

Why were coins invented?:confused:
I'm not very sure abt what most ppl's perception of what 'service industry ought to be' actually.

But personally, I dun dig up 5cents or 1cents change to make up a single digit amount if I have dollar notes.

Imagine, just imagine.... U're working at the cinema counter selling tickets, its a Friday evening and the queue's horrible. The customer in front of u passes u 2x $10 note to pay for a $14 ticket, the customer's friend hops in and say, "Hey wait. Dun pay first. Pay seperately. I need to get rid of my coins." and digs out.... $7 worth of 10cents, 20cents and u have to count them twice manually (with no coin counting machine available) cos any shortage would simply mean u have to fork outta of ur pay to make up the difference in the shortfall between the registered amount and actual amount. :bigeyes:

Speaking from experience from more than 8yrs ago BTW. :bsmilie: Think of the poor chap who probably have to count them twice over, keep that smile AND serve others quickly.

I believe in a proverb "Do unto others what others would do unto you". Its not a "Customer is King" thingy I feel.

Anyway, just a personal thought. Peace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.