Camera on board the plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so in the end, how true and how correct is the instruction that we have to switch off the cameras (rather than be careful of the handling of the camera) during take off and landing?
All airlines will instruct that *all* electronic devices be switched off, regardless of whether they actually interfere with flight electronics or not, because it is far easier to give a blanket advise then to actually say "Please switch off all electronic devices which transmits signals which may interfere with the aircraft's operations". Telling people that "cameras are ok" has the real likelihood of camera phone users insisting on switching their phones on because they are merely going to use the camera function.

I, for one, has regularly used both consumer and DSLR on my flights, including during take-off and landing. Not a single flight attendent has ever asked me to switch them off, compared to one instance when I forgot to switch my mobile phone off and was quickly advised to do so by a watchful SQ flight attendant just before take-off.

Perhaps the airlines are afraid your tiny devices are triggers for the bomb you have in the cargo hull? If u blow up a plane in mid air and take everyone onboard with you, that's sad. But if you blow up the plane during take off or landing, we might be forced to close the airport for a day or two. Imagine the financial losses if that happens. So passengers, turn off all your iTriggers during take-offs and landings. We'll take our chances with you in mid flight :D

It is correct, switch off all electrical devices during take-off and landing, and you can use your camera anytime on the plane before, in between and after just like how you would in public.

yup. Actually it is reasonable to keep your heavy DSLR during take off and landing. Not everyone fly as well, I for one HATES flying and taking off and landing is pretty stressing. If my neighbour passenger is carrying a heavy unsecured DSLR, it is DEFINITELY dangerous if there anything goes wrong during take off and landing.

Most flights insists that heavy stuff like laptop and hand carry and DLSRs have to be secured during take off and landing.

Wow... Guys... I'm shocked to see 3 pages on this! Thanks! I think I got my answer.

Wow... Guys... I'm shocked to see 3 pages on this! Thanks! I think I got my answer.

That makes 2 of us! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

And remember kids, All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

most aircraft normally tries to maintain an maximum altitude of around 8000ft..it's not possible to maintain sea level pressure when it's cruising above 30000ft..the fuselage is not designed to withstand such a huge pressure differential

most aircraft normally tries to maintain an maximum altitude of around 8000ft..it's not possible to maintain sea level pressure when it's cruising above 30000ft..the fuselage is not designed to withstand such a huge pressure differential

Nope, most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft.

This thread is pretty funny. I could have sworn that I've logged on to ClubSnap and not the International Airplane Forum! :bsmilie:

Either way, it sure makes great entertainment!

And my 2 cents worth: Pressure definitely isn't constant in the cabin. Constant pressure might be the aim of what the aircraft engineers what to achieve, but as we all know, nobody and nothing is perfect, thus it is impossible to have a constant pressure throughout the flight. Heck, we can even achieve constant pressure in the elevator! :bsmilie:

i rest my case

i think wat sunnyday meant was tt most airplane CABIN ALTITUDES are maintained at 8000ft, when the airplane itself is cruising at 39000ft for example. Hence there are still pressure changes within the cabin as the aircraft climbs.

Anw, time to dump tt DSLR and get a fully mechanical camera. Just kidding.

On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.

On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.

If they allow laptops to be used on flights without requiring users demonstrate that they know how to turn off wifi, I'd say the powers that be are not too worried about the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

Just contributing to the thread with a simple question that just refuses to go away :)

does most DSLR have wifi?

i think wat sunnyday meant was tt most airplane CABIN ALTITUDES are maintained at 8000ft, when the airplane itself is cruising at 39000ft for example. Hence there are still pressure changes within the cabin as the aircraft climbs.

U'll be surprised that the aircraft fuselage is able to withstand such pressures. I'm working in the airline industry so i fully understood what this pressure thingy's all abt.

if you are working in the airline industry, then i must say i am really surprised by yr statement that says "most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft."

U'll be surprised that the aircraft fuselage is able to withstand such pressures. I'm working in the airline industry so i fully understood what this pressure thingy's all abt.

if you are working in the airline industry, then i must say i am really surprised by yr statement that says "most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft."

as a laymen without any technical background, that is to my knowledge too...

I shan't elaborate further since TS is only asking a generic question. I'll leave the technical stuff out.

just bring it along with u in the cabin lah .. unless u are so sure that your camera will be in GOOD hand inside the baggage stowaway. For me, I will not allow other ppl to lay their hands on my camera .. hahaha .. but 100% confirm. there is no issue bringing camera inside the cabin.

Cabin crew, prepare for landing! :bsmilie:

when commercial aircraft is mentioned, i assume we are talking abt the airbuses and boeings which are the 2 most common aircrafts being used now

from my limited knowledge, typical cruising altitudes should be between 33000ft-39000ft depending on aircraft weight and ambient temperature

short sectors like KL, probably will climb to around 20000ft-24000ft

as a laymen without any technical background, that is to my knowledge too...

Status
Not open for further replies.