Camera for a 10 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used only a lego camera when i was 10 years old (no joke. it was a free gift from from my bucket of lego bricks) =(

anyway, the canon ixus 860IS sounds good.

or, get the powershot A640 =)

There are lots of digicams under $200.

Kodak C613 a 6mp at $199
Samsung has one at $199 at 6mp too
Fuji also has a number (A800/A820/A900/A920) at $199 to $299 or thereabouts 8mp and 9mp.

Or if you are upgrading to a new cam, pass the old one to your daughter.

I first started digital after years with film and my 2 old 2mp cams are with my kids now. Both love taking pics and i dun control what they take. You never know how savvy they are until you view the pics on the monitor. 1/2 will come out great.

start with composition, and the rest will follow
agree with this,

technical things, can come later, first must have an eye for photography.

I bought a coolpix for my daughter, ask her to take as much photos as she can, if she has an interest, I will go on from there.

you might want to consider the olympus pns, it's shock proof, and water proof so it's just good for a 10yo even if she drops it in water..

we don't know she might be an underwater photographer.. hehe

Haiyo, 10 yr old use DSLR. Hahahaa :) Not the age thingy but I will think the bag and the lens will be too heavy for them. Maybe a powershot A550 or A570IS series will be good if you wan manual control . If not fuji a700 or nikon L10 for cheaper models =)

My 8 year old son uses my Pentax K100D with ease. A quick hands on and explanation of the exposure modes and he was taking pictures with AF and manual lenses.

Starting with a DSLR is good because they compose in the viewfinder and learn to hold the camera steady, unlike PnS cameras where you compose by looking at the LCD arms outstretched. Anyway the in-body shake reduction helps a lot.

Having the correct start makes a difference IMO. As mentioned by creampuff, the correct holding posture and the ability to make minute changes to the controls to get a better picture is a good start. Of course, I dun expect the kids to handle a pro series camera straightaway, the new beginner sets are more than enough...

Getting a cam with image stabilizer will also help towards taking better pictures, thus building up their confidence level in handling a camera.

My 8 year old son uses my Pentax K100D with ease. A quick hands on and explanation of the exposure modes and he was taking pictures with AF and manual lenses.

Starting with a DSLR is good because they compose in the viewfinder and learn to hold the camera steady, unlike PnS cameras where you compose by looking at the LCD arms outstretched. Anyway the in-body shake reduction helps a lot.
Wow... that's good to hear that your son is managing a great DSLR at his age. But did he start straight from the K100D or did he play around with a P&S first.

My point being that anybody should start from scratch (scracth might be too exagerated) before moving up to the big leagues.

Wow... that's good to hear that your son is managing a great DSLR at his age. But did he start straight from the K100D or did he play around with a P&S first.

My point being that anybody should start from scratch (scracth might be too exagerated) before moving up to the big leagues.

Initially he was given a choice between a Olympus C-5050, Nikon Coolpix 5700, a Nikon Coolpix 4600, and Coolpix 5200 that we had lying around. He had limited success with the Coolpix cameras to shoot our pet chihuahua, so when he was given the option of using the Pentax DSLR, it was a hands down no contest.

He finds it much easier using the K100D and with the built-in Pet Mode (amongst other preset modes, which I don't use), shooting the pet dog (fast moving subject) is dead easy.

Nothing difficult about using a consumer grade DSLRs. A walk through of the key controls and some explanation using any photography book to illustrate should be enough for a kid to start experimenting. Actually I find an over reliance on auto-everything features isn't too conducive to learning.

Never too young for a kid to start taking pictures. I started with a Kodak Instamatic at Primary 2, my Ricoh rangefinder at Primary 3 and my Fujica SLR at Primary 5. Boy I feel old!

Thanks to all bros and sis for the suggestions.

My son starts at 5 using my old Olympus P&S. Den he use my 350D and now at age 7 he is using my new 40D when I'm not using it. P&S is good for Kids to get to learn more about their interest. So far he had not dropped nor cause any damage to the cameras except for a few finger prints during the initial stage.

Good to just get a cheap 2nd hand P&S for a start.

well, it boils down to whether you want your kid to learn to operate a camera properly or learn to take good pictures. also, how deep your pockets are. :)

I agree with that..
composition is always the most important...

If she shows potential to become the next top photographer with amazing composition..then getting her a DSLR after a year or two wouldnt be too late....isnt it?
Do remember that many top photographers now and some decades before were using RF where there are alot less buttons...

yeah...of course, kids look cute and even cool with a huge DSLR hanging around their neck..
the weight can already kill me after a long day of shoot..let alone a 10 yrs old girl?

I totally agreed that basic is the most impt not the equipment. Then the question is to SLR or not SLR, I guess it all boil down to whether will she like it or not... if the dSLR or SLR manual control and other complex function frighten her off and kill her interest then I dun see the point in getting one..

In my view, kids will learn faster by composing the pictures thru the viewfinder than relying on the LCD screen.

Translating photographic concepts like composition don't come easily for kids. It is far better to show them why a certain picture is good or why it cannot make it (e.g. tilted images, camera shake, people cut in half, etc.). Any kid can fill up a memory card full of images, but whether they are good enough to pass muster is another thing. ;)

Destroyed my Dad's seagull when i was 7 :sweatsm: (My dad still complains about it now :devil:) Used a pentax fix focal lens film when i was 8 to 9. Started using the Powershot A95 around 11 or 12 then started using Film slr Eos 55 at 13 (cheap second hand from hong kong :bsmilie:) Then started using Dslr at 15!

I will be taking a class of photography students (9-11 year olds) next semester.

I have found some great photography books aimed at children (one of which is published by National Geographic), so it might be worth seeking them out.

A point and shoot is sufficient at this stage. Learning to love photography and enjoying the creative process is a great gift for life.

You can teach the basics of composition through playful projects, I think we all have photos where it look likes we are holding up a bridge or have squeezed a tall building between our fingers (perspective).

Children are quick to moan, as soon as they become frustrated with a blurry photos or a poor crop, this is when you step in and suggest a different camera setting. The pleasure in 'getting it right' is the quickest way to learn what technical settings to use.

Your daughter is lucky to have such a considerate father, it will be interesting to see her images.

Status
Not open for further replies.