Camera bag which does not shout camera bag - what are my choices?

Yes I certainly agree with your suggestion to hide the tripod in a bag. I may not have made myself clear. What I meant was, we would usually cover up the tripod in a black bag and just mount them on the backpack, so nobody can see the tripod but only a black bag.
That is the best we could do at this moment, as it is definitely more convenient to carry only the backpacks without another bag to sling.

becare ful if u hide your tripod in a bag. the police may think u r a ninja warrior carrying a sword or a asian terrorist with a RPG.

becare ful if u hide your tripod in a bag. the police may think u r a ninja warrior carrying a sword or a asian terrorist with a RPG.

Hahaha... I would rather a police mistaken me for a ninja turtle because of my bacpack-mounted black tripod bag, do a search and questioning only to release me later, than to have a thief or robber recognizing the exposed tripod and getting away with it.
Thus it seems that (from the next door thread discussing How Do Yo Transport Your Tripod) and this thread here that many people would sling their expensive tripod in a back tripod bag, rather than mounting it (covered or non-covered) on the backpack.

a doubled layered plastic NTUC bag lined with newspaper to hide the content and a domke wrap is a good camera bag that doesn't shout a camera bag

also good for the environment since bags are recycled and also free publicity for NTUC shareholders

Hi

I have a D 80 / 18-200mm lens and SLR combination. I will also carry a couple of batteries and SD cards, thats it. I may want a pocket for pens or cash etc, that it.

This bag will have to fit into my pack for hikes or be used on its own when I am walking about cities.

However I rather not have one of the usual "Nikon", "Lowepro" etc bags which shout Camera!

Previously I used a Crumpler, but that is becoming a signal that there is something expensive inside too.

What are my other choices?
I have been looking at NG bags, and I hope to spend less than a $100 for such a small bag.

Thanks

I dont own any cam backpack, but now this seems quite cool..;p

Mountainsmith Borealis AT Backpack
508956.jpg

Rather gd reviews as well, anyone seem it in Sg? Anyone owns one..
Price varies online, not cheap though, abt S$250..:bigeyes:

Since I have been asked again, I got my bag from AP, but you can get it from MS too, just call first, to make sure they have the model you wish to buy.

It can keep my D90 with my 18-200 VR mounted, my SB 600, plus space for stationary, batteries, a paper notepad, and some filters easily.

Cheers

You guys have no idea. Bring a big squareish lowepro camera backpack around India or any other third world country and a whole lot of locals will try to relieve you of your camera. One of my friends recently had his 5D mk2 and a 70-200 f2.8 IS snitched out of his computrekker when he and I were shooting in Cairo, Egypt. Most of these theives know which bags are camera bags because of the shape and brand.

oh my gosh!!! that is why a camera bag that doesn't shout "CAMERA BAG!!" is needed!! that y i got my crumpler... cos not alot(i think at that point) know abt crumpler cam bags. haha. there is this shop i saw at iluma sells naneu pro cam bags. it sound quite good. quality wise isnt bad. an most of all it DOESN'T SCREAM "CAMERA BAG!" u can try that one. oh and currently there is like some discount to the bags so quite a good chance to get it now. i am considering though. haha. hope it helps!! :D

FOY

a doubled layered plastic NTUC bag lined with newspaper to hide the content and a domke wrap is a good camera bag that doesn't shout a camera bag

also good for the environment since bags are recycled and also free publicity for NTUC shareholders

nice one!! lol! i think it will take u quite a while to remove your cam from ur "bag". i think he meant a more user friendly plus "does not shout camera bag" kind of camera bag.

I use a Coleman cooler bag (approx. S$20.00) as my camera bag for my fishing trip on boat. Good size for my D300 and 18-200mm lens. It is weather proof and with good cushion to protect my gear. You can consider this too. :)

cool! great idea!! maybe that will make our cameras safe from those thieves!!

FOY

oh my gosh!!! that is why a camera bag that doesn't shout "CAMERA BAG!!" is needed!! that y i got my crumpler... cos not alot(i think at that point) know abt crumpler cam bags. haha. there is this shop i saw at iluma sells naneu pro cam bags. it sound quite good. quality wise isnt bad. an most of all it DOESN'T SCREAM "CAMERA BAG!" u can try that one. oh and currently there is like some discount to the bags so quite a good chance to get it now. i am considering though. haha. hope it helps!! :D

FOY

The prices are quite high. US$209 for a what has similar features to a Lowepro Vertex 100. That's like SG$320+

btw, i saw this artisan bag at OP yesterday which looks nice, look like a laptop bag instead.

http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/gcam7000.htm :)

actually i think its ok to pay a high price for bag cos its an even longer investment then lens+cams... cos some good quality bags can last u a decade or two. Since u can afford lens + cams, why not get a good bag right at the start?

am happy with my current billingham bag now which i double as my normal walkard bag. :)

hey. i think a friend of mine use such a bag. it fooled me at 1st sight too. haha. but it kinda feels there is something ex in there. i mean laptops can be another target for the thieves too. unless it looks really beaten up! haha! :D

FOY

Just to share my views after being back from the 2 cities that you mentioned.
Being yellow skinned, we do attract the attention of pickpockets/robbers in Europe.

However, DSLRs are so common these days, just look around when you are at the arch de triomphe or spanish steps.
Aunties, uncles, and I even saw a monk with a 5D+L lens.
He just walked around with the camera around his neck, (but of cos, maybe he knows shaolin kungfu!)

Unless you are thinking of venturing into dark alleys, or off-beaten tracks very often...otherwise, i think u need not be too paranoid about robbery/theives.
I usually sling the cam over my neck at places of interests, and kept in the bag when I am walking along quieter streets (especially at nights).

I use the lowepro slingshot 200AW, and felt quite safe with it.
I just pull the bag to the front when walking thru' the crowd and normal backpacked it most of the time.
I, personally felt safer with this bag than my crumpler 7MD bag.

shaolin kong fu??? haha! unless the ppl grap it from u by force i dun think anyone will steal from from u it u hang them around ur neck... but if its in the bag... and left lying around "alone" it is best to get one that does not look like a cam bag. i think is kinda like a way to "protect" the things u own bah! and to prevent having to suffer the pain of losing ur precious camera! (especially ppl who are not as lucky and will not be able to afford a new one... like me... it better to protect them as best as u can. that is wat i think lah. yups! :D

FOY

The prices are quite high. US$209 for a what has similar features to a Lowepro Vertex 100. That's like SG$320+

no lah. the shop selling at less den S$200. tat the middle one. den plus now there is discount so ard 150plus smallest one is 100. so it was quite ok. :D

FOY

Decided a backpack is a better bet than my NG sling bag...so I got this as well:

51W5J60d4wL._SS500_.jpg

Have a look at the Thinktank modular system or the Speed demon. Should be about $100-$150.

Hi. I'm looking for similar stuff. Vanguard 48 is in my consideration set but I don't know where to find it in Singapore. So Tamrac Think Tank is also in my set. I found this: http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/public/products.asp?Menu=7&Main_Cat_ID=M0019 -- but don't know which one is the one you recommend?

If anyone is looking for a backpack styled bag and intend to go hiking - make sure it is suitable!
Many of these bags are meant for street walking and have no proper straps or ventilation for long hikes.

Cheers.

guess its about looking good. like fashion?
form over function.

u guys should also take a look at ClikElite bags. :)

http://www.clikelite.com

Look for Manda Photo in the Mass Sales, they are the local distributor.

Nice but way more expensive than Kata or more basic brands.

Of course you could use a foam divider in a Osprey backpack instead, esp if you are serious about hiking...

Thanks. So some nice new names:

- ClikElite
- Kata
- Osprey

And some nice ideas:

- Foam for lens separation? (Better than Lowepro lens packs?)
- Better separation for hiking because the human back is sweaty

Now. Where can I find all these lovely brands in Singapore? I prefer to go see, touch, feel, try before buying.

Thanks!

I have the Kata you see and my Osprey Atmos 60 pack, pm me if you wish to see, some are available in hiking shops and Cathay photo.

I might be selling the Kata due to lack of use -about $110, almost new.
cheers.

Thanks. So some nice new names:

- ClikElite
- Kata
- Osprey

And some nice ideas:

- Foam for lens separation? (Better than Lowepro lens packs?)
- Better separation for hiking because the human back is sweaty

Now. Where can I find all these lovely brands in Singapore? I prefer to go see, touch, feel, try before buying.

Thanks!