Camera and Tripod problem

think the way he painted it, seemed like ballhead creep. well , at least to me.

in any case, even people complain about markins and RRS creeping, and those are relatively expensive already...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=36141251&changemode=1

so it *is* a common problem, and i won't just dismiss it as a possible explanation.

if indeed there is some play as TS describe, i'm not quite sure if this is necessarily the definite problem. the only way to know for sure is to try to resolve the play and see if this problem continues. for all we know, maybe it's a bit of both.
usually symptoms of ballhead creep will be described like:

"I frame my shot through the viewfinder and lock the ballhead. When I release my grip on the camera, the view through the viewfinder moves a little/lot"

If TS describe that he can tilt the camera up by a bit, and also mentions a gap between plate and batt grip, I would not be so quick to jump to the 'ballhead creep' conclusion either.

usually symptoms of ballhead creep will be described like:

"I frame my shot through the viewfinder and lock the ballhead. When I release my grip on the camera, the view through the viewfinder moves a little/lot"

If TS describe that he can tilt the camera up by a bit, and also mentions a gap between plate and batt grip, I would not be so quick to jump to the 'ballhead creep' conclusion either.

sure, so let's be clear:

it could be either problem, so there is no need to say that one is right, or the other is wrong. what is clubsnap for? to try to provide solutions or to happily find trouble with all suggestions to elongate one's self-perception of masculinity? i think if people happily tell him that his lens is the problem, we can all agree that this is a ridiculous suggestion. if you agree that ballhead creep is a possible explanation based on what is read, with the plate tightness being a SEPARATE problem, then why are you viewing all innocent suggestions relating to this as an attempt to "ridicule"?

are we here to try to show off more prowess in solving problems, or do we want to solve the problem? :) maybe from now on you could be more objective and filter out the "ridicule" orientated suggestions from the genuine suggestions... if not, i could help you out to be the Public Defender of Clubsnap Newbies Corner, as ironic as it is. :bsmilie:

btw, maybe you haven't been in clubsnap long enough, sometimes people have very funny way of describing things - or are you 100% certain, until TS confirms, that angle definitely does not refer to the angle of view in the viewfinder?

Last edited:
... hmmm fine.
Seems my comments aren't appreciated in this thread.
Sorry to waste everyone's time.

TS... I guess getting a more expensive ballhead will really solve this problem.

... hmmm fine.
Seems my comments aren't appreciated in this thread.
Sorry to waste everyone's time.

TS... I guess getting a more expensive ballhead will really solve this problem.

still adopting that attitude that A must be right, or B must be right?

please, let's grow up a little, there is no need to throw a minor tantrum when people disagree with your approach. A could be right, and B could be right. your information is not useless, it is of use, just that there is a need to clarify the fact that there was no intention of ridicule, and there is no reason to throw that explanation out of the window. just think about it, what's wrong with highlighting this possible explanation - if the TS resolves the lens plate problem, and it still happens (and it might), then how? besides, i don't see the TS being offended by any such suggestion - it's a valid suggestion as well, since you really can't just magic ball out a clearcut answer based on text sometimes.

have a nice day.

Last edited:
throwing a tantrum?
errr... I got better things to do than that.

Anyway TS has some idea what to do I guess. Hope he solves the problem and can continue happily shooting.

Hi Guys,

I have 2 problems when I shooting around.

1) Tripod plate turn loose after shoots.

I often have to tighten my tripod plate with the camera. It seems removing my camera from tripod and when i adjusting the camera it slowly turn loose. Does this happen often?

2) There seems to be space betwen my tripod plate and camera base (Suri 1004 + 500D Thrid-party battery grip). When using lens like 70-200 f4 I have a hard time adjusting the camera on tripod. Once I have adjusted my tripod and release the camera, the angle will fall off a bit, may be some mod the the camera base can help in this?

Thanks everyone in advance for advise =)

hey ZerocoolAstra and NM bros...chill...
allow me to put forward what i really think...

I THINK BOTH of you are right...

Base on what TS has said...there are 2 PROBLEMS:

1. A tiny gap between his 3rd party grip and plate
2. His ballhead does creep...yes

So TS, to help u out a little...
a better ballhead AND a SUITABLE plate (which fits your 3rd party grip nicely) will help

The part in blue does happen often...especially with what i call "non-dedicated" plates
For eg, markins makes plates esp to fit certain specific camera body models
It has a curve to prevent the camera from fidgiting (keeps it firmly in place)...i hope u can visualise it...

A better ballhead will also prevent a problem which u posted in (2), "angle will fall off a bit"...this is creep in my opinion from what you describe

Hope this helps :cool:

hey ZerocoolAstra and NM bros...chill...
allow me to put forward what i really think...

I THINK BOTH of you are right...

Base on what TS has said...there are 2 PROBLEMS:

1. A tiny gap between his 3rd party grip and plate
2. His ballhead does creep...yes

So TS, to help u out a little...
a better ballhead AND a SUITABLE plate (which fits your 3rd party grip nicely) will help

The part in blue does happen often...especially with what i call "non-dedicated" plates
For eg, markins makes plates esp to fit certain specific camera body models
It has a curve to prevent the camera from fidgiting (keeps it firmly in place)...i hope u can visualise it...

A better ballhead will also prevent a problem which u posted in (2), "angle will fall off a bit"...this is creep in my opinion from what you describe

Hope this helps :cool:

thanks - it could be one, it could be another, it could also be both. that's my point. i think the TS might benefit from the rather cordial discussion that i had linked earlier.

cheers :)

Last edited:
thanks - it could be one, it could be another, it could also be both. that's my point. i think the TS might benefit from the rather cordial discussion that i had linked earlier.

cheers :)

Yes so chill guys probably u both set off at the wrong tone :sweat:
It can be NONE of what we have guessed and deduced, OR only ONE of both, OR BOTH, OR another possible culprit is the 3rd party grip...(just my speculation...)

TS, if you really need serious help, posting a few pictures will help very much...or if you wish to get personal assistance, maybe drop by T K Foto and look for this young chap called Ark..i've dealt with him before, nice and friendly guy :D

TS says he is going to post pictures of the problem. Why don't everyone wait till he does that before the mud sling fest.

TS says he is going to post pictures of the problem. Why don't everyone wait till he does that before the mud sling fest.

it would certainly make things slightly clearer.

anyways, i don't see any mudslinging - just a bit of overreaction here and there. but i guess it has been clarified for now. communication is non-existant if the idea behind what is communicated is not conveyed properly.

Alamak...I just went to Target for some groceries and you guys had a wonderful mud fest without me. How can? :bsmilie: :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

On a serious note...lets wait for TS to post some pictures before we continue round 2. ting ting... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: