Camera and Lens combinations

If budget not an issue, get the D3s ! :devil:

i 2nd that... pair with the 24mm F1.4 or the 35mm F1.4.. make an ideal all situation walk about combo..:)

I think the D800 will be around SGD4000 and above. If it has higher megapixel, be prepared to buy a real good and expensive FX lens, like the 24mm f1.4G, 14-24mm f2.8, 70-200 VRII, 200mm f2, etc. Any crappy lens will defeat the purpose of getting such expensive D800.

And the current D700 is already good enough for any assignments, not to say for hobby only. You can grab it at SGD2600 and below in Malaysia and B&S section now. It's real cheap for such high performance DSLR.

I think the D800 will be around SGD4000 and above. If it has higher megapixel, be prepared to buy a real good and expensive FX lens, like the 24mm f1.4G, 14-24mm f2.8, 70-200 VRII, 200mm f2, etc. Any crappy lens will defeat the purpose of getting such expensive D800.

And the current D700 is already good enough for any assignments, not to say for hobby only. You can grab it at SGD2600 and below in Malaysia and B&S section now. It's real cheap for such high performance DSLR.

i agree with you, tho i dun think the lens that works well on D700 should have no issue with D800. i'm sure D800 will be using the new sensor with higher res, altho lower res = larger photosite = better in low light (but all everyone needs it).

anyway, i was waiting since last dec for the D800 launch so that i can grab a cheaper D700 in upgrade sale by others. but i gave up the wait in jan and have been enjoying so much with my D700 to bother about the saving i may get from the long wait.

Hi TS, if I was in your situation and having the same subject interests... I'd make my decision as follows...

You first need to decide whether you want to stay with DX or want to go into FX.

1) Landscape generally needs wide angle lenses, smaller apertures for depth field, and you want good resolution and details in your shots. The larger sensor in a FX body would naturally give better image quality, in particular if you wish to have big enlargement prints. In this case a D700 with a used AF-D 24mm/f2.8 would do fine.

2) For portraits (you didn't mention what style or kind of portraits) but generally a lens with larger aperture in the range 85mm to 135mm would work. Here again, the FX sensor is likely to give better tone gradation for skin tones, and if you're shooting indoor portraits with available light, the high ISO performance of the FX sensor will be very much appreciated. And in my case, I shoot unposed but candid children's portraits, so I use a AF-S 70-200mm/f2.8 VRII to be able to isolate the subject from the background, shooting from a distance to catch the children in their natural state.

I have been using a D700 body for over 3+ years. I don't see a need to upgrade even if the D800 is released. In fact, when this happens, the D700 price (new or used) would drop further. I might even buy another D700 as a backup body.

If you go FX, your lens combinations can be:
Combo A
AF-D 24mm/f2.8
AF-S 70-200mm/2.8G VRII

Or just a AF-S 24-70/f2.8G

Hope this helps.
Fred