Calibration of Tamrons lens ... cost?

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
Any idea what is the cost for calibration of tamron lens due to front focusing problem. My lens no local warranty

How will i know if my lens got front or back focusing problem?

Don't think it will be cheap. Last I heard, for serious cases, they have to send the lens to Japan. And if that is the case, you will have to bear the costs of all the shipping and the calibration as well.

Front or back focus problem is usually caused by the AF sensor not the lens. The lens has no way of knowing if it had focus correctly or not since focusing is driven by the AF sensor instead of the lens. If the AF sensor is not calibrated correctly, you would get Front or Back Focus issues. Why you may see it on some lenses and not others on the same body is because of the different depth of focus of the various lenses. You are more likely to see it on lenses with shallow depth of focus (not field) though.

There could also be genuine cases with the lens at fault but it is much rarer. That usually happens when there is significant aberrations in the lens such that the light is not focused to a point but spread over a significant space. That would confuse the AF sensor to which is the correct focal point. This could happen if the lens elements are misaligned or mispositioned. This would require the lens to be sent in for calibration

I suggest you send your body and lens to your camera service center for calibration instead of sending it to Tamron

Last edited:
Front or back focus problem is usually caused by the AF sensor not the lens. The lens has no way of knowing if it had focus correctly or not since focusing is driven by the AF sensor instead of the lens. If the AF sensor is not calibrated correctly, you would get Front or Back Focus issues. Why you may see it on some lenses and not others on the same body is because of the different depth of focus of the various lenses. You are more likely to see it on lenses with shallow depth of focus (not field) though.

There could also be genuine cases with the lens at fault but it is much rarer. That usually happens when there is significant aberrations in the lens such that the light is not focused to a point but spread over a significant space. That would confuse the AF sensor to which is the correct focal point. This could happen if the lens elements are misaligned or mispositioned. This would require the lens to be sent in for calibration

I suggest you send your body and lens to your camera service center for calibration instead of sending it to Tamron

For cameras with no AF fine tune feature (software), if you adjust the AF sensor to fit one lens, you will screw up the AF for all the other lenses. You need to ask yourself if that is what you want to do? And it is not really the AF sensor you are calibrating. You are actually adjusting the mirror distance by tuning the mirror stopper. It can be done easily by turning a screw hidden behind the mirror of a camera body. So this adjustment is only useful if ALL your lenses front focus or back focus in the same amount and in the same direction.

To tune AF for the camera (will affect all lenses):
Nikon: http://leongoodman.com/sergei/backfocus.htm
Canon: http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod9.html

BTW, you can calibrate a lens for AF accuracy... Don't believe me, read on: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=30916099

Last edited:
The Tamron SC in SG is pretty hopeless if you ask me..they practically send everything back to Japan..dun seem like they do any kind of servicing in SG at all...

I keep reading about this front focusing and AF problem of the Tamron, are these problems really so bad that it is hard to get one which can focus well? Do the local shops let me test a few (ruler test) before buying?

I really like the specs of this lens and hope to get a good one without the focusing problems.

Tested my 1yr old 18-270 VC and 2yrs old nikon 18-55 VR.

My nikon's focus is good in all focal lenght.

From what I tested my lens seem hv back focus problem when shoot in 18mm. but tested in 100mm and 270mm, focus is sharp. Or maybe back focus in 18-270 VC Tamron lens is normal at 18mm?? Or time to send in for calibration??:sweat:

Here is the test shoot.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150276166922488.348107.693582487&l=2259f81cc8&type=1

Tested my 1yr old 18-270 VC and 2yrs old nikon 18-55 VR.

My nikon's focus is good in all focal lenght.

From what I tested my lens seem hv back focus problem when shoot in 18mm. but tested in 100mm and 270mm, focus is sharp. Or maybe back focus in 18-270 VC Tamron lens is normal at 18mm?? Or time to send in for calibration??:sweat:

Here is the test shoot.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150276166922488.348107.693582487&l=2259f81cc8&type=1

BTW how did you manage to see front or back focus? The pic is so small, and the light is not good. Best is if you can attach a flash and point it upwards and shoot when testing focus. Bad lighting can cause focus inaccuracies as well.

I called JeL tamron service center, under warranty calibration for front and back focus at no cost,

I tested my 18-270 vc with max f. and on tripod with timer auto release. shhot on focus test chart in 45deg method.(that shld be the way to test)

After sent for calibration(FOC), seem like focus quality at 18mm more worse. I'm wonder why? Really need to see what's the problem with my system liao.

I sent my tamron once at jel for calibration and got the lens back after 3 days. I did not notice any improvement though

just to chk with u all, is it normal when we test the focus, with same focal length, diff f value, the sharpness will diff too?

I found that my 18-270 vc produced sharpness like back focus till 20mm when setting in 18mm, max f, but when in 18mm, f8 above. it shown sharpness ok in the center focus line.
All other length like 35mm above seem like ok.

These is the tested result. do hv a look and comment. :) The setting is indicated on the picture name.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxibongtrading/?donelayout=1

When testing focus, you should be setting your lens to max aperture, ie largest aperture opening, ie smallest F-number.

BTW, it looks fine to me in some of the pics...
6185448385_e6a626f42c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Jel corp sent my tamron 17-50 non bim to japan. Cost was $130 if i recalled correctly. That was around 1 yr plus ago.

Ya, its ok in some. But do chk with 18mm max or largest apurture 1. I saw its not ok leh. Don know why?