Budget Macro Lens Recommendation

Hi! Thanks for your input~ Then it seems like I have more homework to do. I know basically nothing much about lighting at this point of time.

Agree with Octarine that it depends on the purpose and subject.Flat lighting is almost shadowless so very suited to glamour portrait beauty shot of human face.You see much like painters of old like Rembrandt who only have available light,the sun (they only have candle light,not even electricity)
There's even a type of lighting named after him with that chacteristic triangular shawdow below the eye.Shadows give a perception of depth or 3D to an otherwise flat 2D painter's canvas or surface.

Hi guys, previously I was talking about getting a Sirui tripod due to my current one being broken. But after much consideration (and research), I was thinking of getting a T-series tripod (leg only) since my ballhead is still in pristine condition. As far as i know, I just need to make sure the ballhead is removable and the correct type of screw used (1/4 or 3/8) right? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, previously I was talking about getting a Sirui tripod due to my current one being broken. But after much consideration (and research), I was thinking of getting a T-series tripod (leg only) since my ballhead is still in pristine condition. As far as i know, I just need to make sure the ballhead is removable and the correct type of screw used (1/4 or 3/8) right? Thanks in advance!

Sirui Tripod has male thread 1/4" and 3/8" and will fit all standard tripod-heads. Base plates for standard camera attachment is 1/4".

So no concern at all.

By the way, what model is your tripod with broken leg and tripod-head?

Sirui Tripod has male thread 1/4" and 3/8" and will fit all standard tripod-heads. Base plates for standard camera attachment is 1/4".

So no concern at all.

By the way, what model is your tripod with broken leg and tripod-head?

Brands Velbon, I cant't really remember the model as it was quite some time ago, but it should be a combination of the following.

PRO GEO Series (Tripod Leg)
=http://www.velbon.biz/product/progeo.html=
Mine is aluminium and uses the clamp lock.

QHD-U6Q (Ball Head)
=http://www.velbon.biz/product/head.html=
Looks very similar, circular knob, with water level meter? Mine is slightly fatter overall.

Bought it at a show, the fellow forget to charge me for the ball head, so I only paid about 150 for the tripod.

Last edited:
doesn't need expensive setup to take jawdropping photos

Thats a really interesting read, I will probably hold off the tripod purchase for now and go tripod-free. Thanks for the share!

Let me shared my initial setup when I started macro.

I used Canon 500D kit lens (18-55mm) or 50mm lens with a Raynox DCR-250 (super macro conversion lens which clip onto front element of normal lens) for magnification.
The Raynox cost approx SGD 110 new.
I used manual focus 100% of time.
I used pop up flash and mount a DIY diffuser (white foam material) at front element of lens or Raynox to reduce harsh lightning on subjects.
I used a strong flash light to shine through the diffuser to offer light and assist in focusing to get sharp images or get someone to assist with focus light while you shoot.
I shoot almost 100% handheld.

hope these helps.

Let me shared my initial setup when I started macro.

I used Canon 500D kit lens (18-55mm) or 50mm lens with a Raynox DCR-250 (super macro conversion lens which clip onto front element of normal lens) for magnification.
The Raynox cost approx SGD 110 new.
I used manual focus 100% of time.
I used pop up flash and mount a DIY diffuser (white foam material) at front element of lens or Raynox to reduce harsh lightning on subjects.
I used a strong flash light to shine through the diffuser to offer light and assist in focusing to get sharp images or get someone to assist with focus light while you shoot.
I shoot almost 100% handheld.

hope these helps.

Agree with dykat2009. I started with 450D with 50mm and raynox with pop-up flash, using meiji milk bottle plastic as diffuser. LED lights will not scare your insects away. You will - with too much movements. Suggest you go out with some macro photogs, field learnings and you will get some good headstarts! Have fun with macro!

Hello everyone,
Anyone uses the Meike auto focus extension tubes or any other budget brands of auto focus extension tubes?

Agree with dykat2009. I started with 450D with 50mm and raynox with pop-up flash, using meiji milk bottle plastic as diffuser. LED lights will not scare your insects away. You will - with too much movements. Suggest you go out with some macro photogs, field learnings and you will get some good headstarts! Have fun with macro!
Shooting in a grp is always the best way but there may some of the kakis away as he find u asking too much.

So best is get click first then ur Q come later

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk