budget around 1.2k....what the best dslr can i get???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentax Kx with 18-55 kit lens is at this price. Well within your budget at ~$960
Very good Noise Reduction at high ISOs
On body shake reduction
HD video
On body lens drive motor
Proper spot meter function

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Very little lacking from a so called 'entry level' model. Compare the specs vs the competition yourself.

I second pinholecam advise on Kx.

I gone down this road before......and i brought pentax kx as my first dslr. no regrets so far.
dont worry about what the typical Canikon peopel will tell u ..... "about hard to find lens etc etc".
in one month of owning a pentax I had collected 5 lens covering 18 to 300 mm and a manual prime lens 50mm f1.7.

Go with the Kx dual lens kit 18-55 n 55-200. if you go the pentax path. the lens kit produce good IQ

here a review link.
http://macro-photography-blog.com/2...s-canon-eos-500d-vs-nikon-d5000-vs-sony-a550/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...gital-slrs/pentax-k-x-642482/review?artc_pg=1

Last edited:
A used S3 Pro ($500) and a used Nikkor 16-85 VR ($700). Superb colour.

The Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, and Canon 500D are pretty similar in specs to each other and with kit lens they are under $1200.
Well, except that the Pentax K-x is ~$960 and for $1200 you can get the 2 lens kit (18-55mm + 50-200mm), whereas $1200 only gets you the basic 18-55mm kit lens with Nikon or Canon.

aha so many different choices.. TS ran already :bsmilie:

get the Nikon D5000~~

I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models. You might wish to read up on the 2 review before you make your choice. Some folks might as D90. Well, if money is no issue of coz. But then, since we all have a budget, might as well just work within it? Further kenrockwell mentioned at D5000 is between D40 and D90, and since its newer than both, it is not all that bad.

New or 2nd hand? That is a question you have to ask yourself if you can tahan 2nd hand items. I cannot so I will not consider a 2nd hand body and lens. Furthermore as a newbie, how I know if the condition of the 2nd hand item i purchase is really as what the seller says and not being ripped off with a faulty equipment? We are dealing with electronic equipments (camera body) now as compared to the old manual 35mm film SLRs. Lots of things are not within our knowledge when it comes to such gadget. So for me in order to ensure I spent my money well, I go for something new which I know will definitely be safer.

I read through some threads that some folks has posted in the forum. I do agree with one fact though. It's the person behind the camera that produces good picture. Pro equipment or not, if the photographer is not good, give him the most expensive body and lens will also not unleash their full potential.

Lastly for your own thinking please. What DSLR? You have a brand preference? Or you have a kit preference if you buy brand new either Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc? Its really personnal. Follow you heart.

Have fun choosing and nights dreaming. :)

I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models.

kenrockwell is very nikon-biased.

just for the ts' information. :)

I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models. You might wish to read up on the 2 review before you make your choice. Some folks might as D90. Well, if money is no issue of coz. But then, since we all have a budget, might as well just work within it? Further kenrockwell mentioned at D5000 is between D40 and D90, and since its newer than both, it is not all that bad.

New or 2nd hand? That is a question you have to ask yourself if you can tahan 2nd hand items. I cannot so I will not consider a 2nd hand body and lens. Furthermore as a newbie, how I know if the condition of the 2nd hand item i purchase is really as what the seller says and not being ripped off with a faulty equipment? We are dealing with electronic equipments (camera body) now as compared to the old manual 35mm film SLRs. Lots of things are not within our knowledge when it comes to such gadget. So for me in order to ensure I spent my money well, I go for something new which I know will definitely be safer.

I read through some threads that some folks has posted in the forum. I do agree with one fact though. It's the person behind the camera that produces good picture. Pro equipment or not, if the photographer is not good, give him the most expensive body and lens will also not unleash their full potential.

Lastly for your own thinking please. What DSLR? You have a brand preference? Or you have a kit preference if you buy brand new either Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc? Its really personnal. Follow you heart.

Have fun choosing and nights dreaming. :)

omg, u got a D5000? do you know you will need AF-S lens for the AF to work?

I would go for:

1. Body with anti-shock
2. 3" LCD screen or bigger and you can tilt it
3. High ISO(>64000) low noise

pentax Kx or Sony A500 ... experience Sony liveview system

I would go for:

1. Body with anti-shock
2. 3" LCD screen or bigger and you can tilt it
3. High ISO(>64000) low noise

Sound so A550 to me hahaha

if d90 better than d5000, i guess i might do some part time job...over my budget maa...:eek:huhhh..

I second pinholecam advise on Kx.

I gone down this road before......and i brought pentax kx as my first dslr. no regrets so far.
dont worry about what the typical Canikon peopel will tell u ..... "about hard to find lens etc etc".
in one month of owning a pentax I had collected 5 lens covering 18 to 300 mm and a manual prime lens 50mm f1.7.

Go with the Kx dual lens kit 18-55 n 55-200. if you go the pentax path. the lens kit produce good IQ

Wah, you got converted to Pentax men so firmly and quickly :bigeyes:
Do share some pix of your Vietnam trip hor
I am seriously thinking of changing to 500D in 6 mths time after I have 'worn out' and 'dump' my current 'GF' :flush:

Yup. I know. But that will give me the excuse to buy better ones after I hone my skills. hehe.

errr ok....sorry but just still can't accept the fact that a D5000 actually cost $1.2k. I rather pay abit more for D90, or if i have 1.2k only, will get a Sony A550 or Canon 500D.

get a 2nd hand, when u are used to it, buy a first hand. best if u can go down to a camera shop for a feeling touch :D

Status
Not open for further replies.