Budget Airlines discussion thread - Asian and abroad (whine, praise, condemn etc)

A flight from Changi Airport to Kuala Lumpur International Airport cost less than a cab ride from Jurong to Changi and as people always says, you get what you paid for.

Local budget airlines such as Tiger Aiways are modelled after Ryanair (infamous for planning to impose toilet surcharge), though I have better than expected customer services and hospitality on-board Air Asia and Firefly.

what ? go toilet must pay money ? :sweat:

If they use aerobridge, they gotta pay the ground handlers. Thats how they squeeze out the low fare.

Of course I know about this extra fees.

But what surprise me is, more then once, when I landed in PEN or JB with AirAsia, when there is an heavy rain, they use the sky-bridge.

But again LCCT don't have sky bridge.

Personally i can't say Jetstar's price is competitive enough with other budget airlines e.g. AirAsia and Tiger Airways. but for the service, i believe it's better than Tiger Airways.

I called Tiger's customer service once and got answered after 45 minutes. The worst experience that i had with their customer service was the one in airport, very rude lady was hired to serve their customers. I was 10 minutes late for check-in (my mistake), and the counter was closed already, the lady choose to have back and forth argument with me (i felt that she scolded me ;p ) rather than helping me to check-in or check another flight and get me another ticket to solve my issue. and how she answered my questions, super rude.

So far i dont have any delay experience with Tiger, and i can say they almost very on-time specially when they close the counter for check-in :cool:

I only fly tiger once. The flight wasn't delayed or anything. But, the service on flight was poor. My seat was very close to the cabin crew rest area. I could hear them talking and giggling loudly when i was trying very hard to sleep on a midnight flight.

They are really loud. I even saw people seating 3-4 rows in front of me standing up to see who's making so much noise. In the end I couldnt take it anymore and i went over to ask them to lower down their volume...:sweat:

No more tiger for me.

I have found that budget airlines does not mean that their prices are lower than full-service airlines. I just booked a return flight to Bangkok and found that the budget airline prices (AirAsia, JetStar & Tiger) all cost more than CX. Unless there are promotions from budget airlines, $1 tickets (excl. taxes, etc), their prices may not be lower.

It pays to do a search of all airlines and if you can pay the same or lower price on a full-service airline, it is well worth going to the full-service airline. To me, the price difference between budget and full-service has to be substantial enough to warrant me to use a budget airline, as their service is not only poorer, but seats are more cramp.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/310518/An_inconvenient_fee.html

Late last year, budget airlines Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia also increased their convenience fee from $5 to $6 for every one-way flight booked online.
Tiger had first introduced its convenience fee at $4 in 2007.
So, if you buy a pair of return tickets from either of these two airlines online, you have to fork out $24 in convenience fees instead of $20 previously.
For a pair of AirAsia return tickets, you have to pay $20 in convenience fees.
All three carriers said the fee goes into implementing and maintaining their online payment systems.

:thumbsd::thumbsd:

I do not against any budget airline.
Unfortunately, many of my friends experienced delayed flight with Jetstar departing from Singapore to Penang / Bangkok. 1.5 - 2 hours, there is one case 11 hours (of course this is special case).

AirAsia flying to KL LCCT also get some delayed. but not so significant (less then 1 hour)

I have travel extensively with budget airline for business and it has really help to keep travel cost down for small business like mine.

Budget flights from Singapore to Japan in July
http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/356466/Budget_flights_from_Singapore_to_Japan.html

BUDGET carrier Jetstar on Thursday announced plans for a Singapore-Taipei-Osaka service commencing July 5.
The flights, which will operate daily, are still in the midst of regulatory approval, said the low-cost carrier in a statement today.

Fares will start from $198 all-inclusive, one-way.
Daily flight 3K521 is scheduled to leave Singapore from 7am to Taipei, followed by a 12.20pm departure from Taipei to Osaka. The return leg will leave Osaka at 4.50pm to Taipei, and then at 7.10pm from Taipei to Singapore.
The service will operate between Kansai International Airport in Osaka, Taoyuan International Airport in Taipei and Singapore Changi International Airport (Terminal One).
"On board Jetstar will offer Japanese meal options, Japanese content in the carrier’s in-flight magazine and all flights will have Japanese speaking crew," said Jetstar.
As part of the launch, Jetstar is offering the $198 fare on Thursday (April 22) from 2pm to midnight. Sale fares valid for travel between July 5 and November 19, 2010, excluding a July 15 to August 31 blackout period.
Jetstar will continue the sale on Friday till Monday, but prices will be upped to $248

Haiz. Via taipei. using A320 all the way. Sit until back pain ;)
Not sure will it be just a stop over (to fill fuel etc, but passenger remain on board) or will have change of plane (go down and boarding again)... If remain on board, really cannot tahan.....

Read somewhere else A320 not suitable for flight more than 4 hours. But I just realised all the while Jetstar to taipei is by A320 and it takes about 4.5 hours....

Edit: And I've just check their website, seems the flight code is the same for SIN-Taipei; Taipei - Osaka, so I guess will have to remain on flight? Gosh....

Last edited:
Time to plan to travel to Osaka for photo shoot liao!

Read somewhere else A320 not suitable for flight more than 4 hours. But I just realised all the while Jetstar to taipei is by A320 and it takes about 4.5 hours...
Why not? It is well within the maximum operating range of the A320. Only a question of comfort, book early and you might just have a chance at an exit row seat. ;)

4554207669_fe51f081ab_o.png

Karl L. Swartz's Great Circle Mapper

Total flight time of approximately 9 hours from Singapore Changi International Airport to Kansai International Airport via a 40 minutes stopover at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.

Last edited:
Of course I know about this extra fees.

But what surprise me is, more then once, when I landed in PEN or JB with AirAsia, when there is an heavy rain, they use the sky-bridge.

But again LCCT don't have sky bridge.

I was given an umbrella.

Going really budget...

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...veiled-20100914-15ad6.html?rand=1284447337070

Saddle up: world's smallest airline seat unveiled

Craig Platt

September 14, 2010 - 4:28PM
Click for more photos Smallest airline seat ever

Saddle up ... Aviointeriors seat design offers just 23 inches of leg room. Airline economy class typically offers 31 inches or more.

If you find economy class seats too cramped for comfort, we have bad news: they may be about to get even smaller.
Italian airline seat and interiors manufacturer Aviointeriors has designed a saddle-like seat with just 23 inches of seat pitch (the space between seats) – significantly smaller than the average 32 inches in economy class. Even the highest-density airline seating normally offers 28 inches of seat pitch.
Aviointeriors says its design, named the 'SkyRider', is for an ultra-high density seat designed and engineered to offer the possibility to “further reduce ticket prices” through the creation of a new basic class – below economy.

The seats would allow more passengers to be crammed into aircraft. The design also allows for partial overlapping of seating between rows, allowing even more seats to fit in.
Aviointeriors says the passenger's seating position is “similar to that of a touring motor-scooter rider”.
It says the seats have been engineered and have reached the stage of final testing.
The seats were being unveiled at Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas 2010 in Long Beach, California this week.
The announcement comes as low-cost airlines continue to seek ways to increase profits by adding ancillary charges and increasing the number of passengers they can fly on aircraft.
In July, Ryanair raised the prospect of 'vertical seating' – a proposal that would see the back 10 rows of its short-haul aircraft converted to standing room space.
In Australia, Tiger Airways' managing director Crawford Rix has said he would consider all options to keep fares low, including vertical seating.

I had great experiences with Southwest Airlines in USA, Spirit Airlines and Easyjet, but the local ones have been quite poor.

I had several good experiences with easyjet too. :) I agree that the local budget air pale in comparison. However for flights 4 hrs and below,I will still consider flying budget(sometimes) :)

I've flown on Tiger, Jetstar and Cebu Pacific..... while I can't said all my trips are trouble free... for trips that are no more than 4hrs... I'll stick with Buget Airline to save $$$$ :bsmilie:

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/companies/story/0,4574,407094,00.html?

Growling passengers could give up on Tiger

By VEN SREENIVASAN
LOW cost does not have to mean low reliability. All budget carriers need to get this ingrained in their corporate psyche. For the airline industry is a cut-throat business at the best of times, with yields constantly under pressure and margins subject to the vagaries of the marketplace. And tattered reputations - in the form of low reliability - are something that all players, including low-cost carriers, can't afford to have.
For Tiger Airways, this is particularly important if it is to emerge from the fiasco of flight cancellations which, if not well managed, could tarnish its reputation.
Last weekend's newspapers and the blogsites were awash with reports of travellers being left stranded as the Singapore Airlines budget associate cancelled about a dozen flights a day last week.
Some analysts reckoned that Tiger's daily cancellation rates last week ranged from 27 to 38 per cent - much higher than Jetstar Asia's 4 per cent or AirAsia's 2 per cent averages. In the absence of other data, these comparisons may not necessarily be fair. But Tiger still needs to take note that flight cancellations have led to talk of tardiness, with the media getting calls and letters from irate travellers complaining about cancelled or delayed services - not just in Singapore but also at the airline's other destinations around the region.
Last week's events have forced the issue to the fore, and threaten to have serious consequences for the airline.
As RBS noted in a report on Monday: 'No airline can withstand weeks of sustained high cancellation rates without lasting damage to its reputation. While Tiger's tickets are cheap, this means nothing if passengers cannot fly.' Worse, all this is happening as the peak year-end travel season approaches.
It is well known that the airline industry, especially in Asia, is facing an acute pilot shortage. Some weeks ago, Tiger itself acknowledged it lost about 20 pilots earlier this year.
When asked by reporters and analysts, the airline insisted last week that it had enough pilots to cope with its needs. It said it had recruited new pilots from regional carriers like Air Mandala and other airlines, and had 110 pilots - enough for 10 A320 planes.
Instead, it blamed the cancellations on technical issues with two aircraft. While this could be the case, it is hard to convince irate travellers that two aircraft, out of 10, could cause such massive disruptions.
Tiger's officials also blamed Changi Airport Group's failure to update the departure notice boards at the airport. Apparently, services which were cancelled or terminated weeks or months earlier were still being displayed on the notice boards. If so, the actual cancellation rate would not be as high as one would believe from reading the electronic departure notice boards, they argued. But even on this front, checks by analysts revealed that only a fifth of the cancellations were such 'false cancellations'. In short, 80 per cent of the 40 or more flights cancelled last week were 'real cancellations'.
Tiger's explanation of the problems and its handling of the situation seem to have fallen short of reassuring affected passengers and analysts. The result is turning out to be a crisis of confidence. And if it is not resolved soon, it will take a toll on the company's reputation - and ultimately its bottom line.
What is needed now is for Tiger to reassure customers that it will be able to resolve the issues (whatever they may be) within a reasonable time.
Meanwhile, its share price, already high on a price-earnings basis, is looking wobbly this week. Jittery shareholders are beginning to wonder if all the negative publicity will impact the company's earnings and its stock price.
Tiger chalked up some $28 million for the year to end-March 2010 and $1.9 million for the first quarter of the current financial year. As some analysts noted, to hit a consensus full-year earnings of some $60 million, the airline has still a long way to go for the remaining three quarters.
To be fair, Tiger could be the victim of its own success. In just six years, it has grown to become a pan-Asian carrier with a network that stretches from China through South-east Asia, Australia and the Indian sub-continent. It has bases in Australia and Singapore, and will soon start a third base in Thailand.
One wonders whether the Tiger is suffering a case of indigestion after biting off more than it can chew. But indigestion or not, the events of the past week have not exactly been reassuring to the thousands of travellers who book themselves on Tiger's cheap flights every week. If the airline does not manage its growth and resources well, it will effectively have scored an 'own goal' against rivals AirAsia and Jetstar, who will be delighted to take its business.