Broadband Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
dreamerz said:
dun think u can ve 2 plan under 1 address...coz ur hse cable point are all link together...mayb u can consider using singnet...

wrong. u can sign up for additional access plans under the same address for starhub. just call 1630 to enquire.

Why do you need to sign multiple plan whereby you can sign for a starhub ultimate ?

See posts #8 and #18.

alwayschampion said:
Why do you need to sign multiple plan whereby you can sign for a starhub ultimate ?

What do you mean by household plan and your own plan ?

You mention it is placed in your house.

Household plan = for the whole family living in that house
My own plan = for my own computer only.

alwayschampion said:
What do you mean by household plan and your own plan ?

You mention it is placed in your house.

Bump up for more comments :)

vince123123 said:
Bump up for more comments :)

Vince,

What I knew with MOL (mol4k or mol6k5) is using cable modem as a bandwidth limiter.
So if you have 2 MOL modem, theoretically you will get 2 twice of bandwidth.
But you should understand you might not get bandwidth MOL(a) + MOL(b),
because of others outside of you house.

Now the problem is
1. whether SH is allowing for it, you need to ask them.
2. according to you every room has a cable point,
you need to check this cable point, whether is not a cascade with your other MOL/SCV
devices.

About your question regarding
“On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house? “

I’m assuming, if you are moving house whether you can bring along the account with you. For SH (MOL + SCV), yes because I have moved house about 2 years ago, and they just asked my new address for sending new bills.
I heard for ST, you will incur a disconnect and reconnect fee, probably other CS’er who on ST can give you more information

Cheers :)

Thanks for sharing your experinces laheyhv.

If the Starhub guy I called on the phone can be relied on for what he says, he says that it doens't matter whether it is in your house or in your neighbourhood - the shared bandwidth is based on a per area and not a per house methodology.

Hence if your house only has one modem, and if the area has 50 others, having a second modem would just mean your house is 2 out of 52 instead of 1 out of 51 previously. There won't be any 1 out of 2 in your house.

Also, he gave this site to test the transfer rate : utilities.starhub.com - and you can also see minimum tranfer rates there.

My only reservation is, they keep saying that we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues - but I can't help but question the authenticity of the transfer rates that they put on their site using these tests.

laheyhv said:
Vince,

What I knew with MOL (mol4k or mol6k5) is using cable modem as a bandwidth limiter.
So if you have 2 MOL modem, theoretically you will get 2 twice of bandwidth.
But you should understand you might not get bandwidth MOL(a) + MOL(b),
because of others outside of you house.

Now the problem is
1. whether SH is allowing for it, you need to ask them.
2. according to you every room has a cable point,
you need to check this cable point, whether is not a cascade with your other MOL/SCV
devices.

About your question regarding
“On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house? “

I’m assuming, if you are moving house whether you can bring along the account with you. For SH (MOL + SCV), yes because I have moved house about 2 years ago, and they just asked my new address for sending new bills.
I heard for ST, you will incur a disconnect and reconnect fee, probably other CS’er who on ST can give you more information

Cheers :)

vince123123 said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences laheyhv.

If the Starhub guy I called on the phone can be relied on for what he says, he says that it doesn’t matter whether it is in your house or in your neighbourhood - the shared bandwidth is based on a per area and not a per house methodology.

Vince,
Based on my experience work on “DOV = Data Over Voice” modem,
This SH or ST or PN, should use an “exchange station”, before it distribute their data to our house.
So the configuration is:
i.e. [SH or ST or PN] Data Centre => F.O. (Fiber Optic) => Main Exchange Centre [Pickering St.] => F.O. => Branch Exchange [Bukit Batok] => Coaxial / Phone Wire => House [Bukit Batok Central].

The different between ST and SH (I’m not sure about PN), SH using Hub Method, while ST using Star method.
Hub or Star method is a term in the “Networking Stuff”.

So he is right.

vince123123 said:
My only reservation is, they keep saying that we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues - but I can't help but question the authenticity of the transfer rates that they put on their site using these tests.

This statement come because traffic from SH or ST or PN to the world is variable.
The safety point is between your station to their intranet.

What I can suggest is to measure between intranet and extranet/world.

Cheers

laheyhv said:
The different between ST and SH (I’m not sure about PN), SH using Hub Method, while ST using Star method.
Hub or Star method is a term in the “Networking Stuff”.

which is why Starhub access is termed the Fat Green Pipe cos the "last mile" connection to homes is actually shared. that's why if there are a lot of SH users in your immediate area, your connection speed actually drops.

Singtel/ PacNet (which operates over phone line) has only limited bandwidth over "last mile" although it's dedicated connection up to the telco exchange only.

vince123123 said:

rest assured the transfer rates from their server to urs is authentic (they have no reasons to cheat u), but ONLY for local traffic. overseas traffic are not under their perview, cos very obviously the overseas networks are not managed by them. that's why they say "we can't use other sites to test cos different sites have different internet traffic issues"

So that means that Singtel/Pacnet has a longer length of dedicated time right?

The way the FLASH advertisement for SH, they are saying that their non-dedicated pipe is bigger than ST's non-dedicated pipe. But they forget to mention that ST has a longer length of dedicatedness than them.

mervlam said:
which is why Starhub access is termed the Fat Green Pipe cos the "last mile" connection to homes is actually shared. that's why if there are a lot of SH users in your immediate area, your connection speed actually drops.

Singtel/ PacNet (which operates over phone line) has only limited bandwidth over "last mile" although it's dedicated connection up to the telco exchange only.

vince123123 said:
So that means that Singtel/Pacnet has a longer length of dedicated time right?

The way the FLASH advertisement for SH, they are saying that their non-dedicated pipe is bigger than ST's non-dedicated pipe. But they forget to mention that ST has a longer length of dedicatedness than them.
correction...SN is dedicated up to atm only....oversea bandwitdh is still throttled...
whereas SH is tat 1 area share a pipe to the server exchange...if some1 in ur are doing intensive traffic stuff like heavy bt...ur speed will suffer at ur end...may nt b due to oversea throttle BW but by tat user bting in ur area...

Yes, thats my point, Singnet has a longer length of dedicated access - at least its dedicated up to the exchange.

For Starhub, its non-dedicated ALL THE WAY.

dreamerz said:
correction...SN is dedicated up to atm only....oversea bandwitdh is still throttled...
whereas SH is tat 1 area share a pipe to the server exchange...if some1 in ur are doing intensive traffic stuff like heavy bt...ur speed will suffer at ur end...may nt b due to oversea throttle BW but by tat user bting in ur area...

vince123123 said:
Yes, thats my point, Singnet has a longer length of dedicated access - at least its dedicated up to the exchange.

For Starhub, its non-dedicated ALL THE WAY.
then yup u gt it...but sn is more promt to dc than starhub...:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.