Bowens or Elinchrome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your contribution. I really learnt a lot here.:thumbsup:

Initially, I started this discussion with the purpose of deciding on either Bowens or Elinchrome. But now, I have discovered there are 2 additional good choices in Singapore: Hensel & Multiblitz :D

Multiblitz changed agent some time ago due to some service and repairs issues. Currently, the new agent seems quite stable. Hensel is represented by Ruby Imaging, which is also the agent for the renowned Phase One DCBs, and I would consider them a very stable partner.

With the new Hensel Expert series priced competitively, (indeed very, when compared to Bowens and Elinchrome, here in Singapore), Hensel appears to be a good choice. At least, all units comes with built in fans to cool the mono lights which Bowens and Elichrome don’t offer at the 500ws range.

Frankly, I am quite attracted to Hensel’s expert series now. Does anyone here know the Pros and Cons of Hensel Flash system? Are they rugged and are the output consistent?

Thanks,
Digi-Learner :)

Digi-Learner said:
Dear all.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your contribution. I really learnt a lot here.:thumbsup:

What did you learn?

Hello Digi-Learner, I am also looking for lights. You said that Multiblitz have changed agents, do you happen to know who the new agent is? Also what is the pricing for Hensel? Thanks!

Last time, the Multiblitz agent was somewhere in IMM Jurong East. I remembered calling them some months back, (got the initial address and phone from Multiblitz's website) but was told they no longer represent Multiblitz. I guess the website info wasn't updated promptly at the time I made the call.

Recently, someone mentioned SLCC and I discovered it is Stanley Lim Color Center. You may visit them and test out their units if you are keen on Multiblitz. I have the impression that they are quite helpful and friendly.

As for Hensel, it wouldn't be nice for me to quote prices here on a public forum. Personally, the bundled package (eg. 2 500ws lights with packaged accessories) are quite attractive. In fact, I found these packaged info from Hensel's own website before calling Ruby Imaging for a quote. Not bad, you may want to pay them a visit at Toa Payoh, look for Mr Charlie for assistance.

I hope someday, someone will be willing to represent the Korean brand too. :)

Digi-LearnerAs for Hensel said:
Which is why I can't figure out why anyone would pick up a Multiblitz set (no offence to Multiblitz users/sellers) if you can find Hensel in the same market. Like I had said earlier, it's also German made quality, the specs are very similar (frankly a little better on the Hensel side), Hensel has a wider range of accessories, and support is very very good locally. The agent has been the same one for many years.

If you compare Hensel to Elinchrom, it's a different story because the specs are different esp. wrt flash duration & recycling speed which can be critical to some end users. On this, Elinchrom generally has the edge. Bowens is another brand to consider with it's own unique competitive advantages as well.

There's still Balcar and Profoto to consider if you have more money to spend.

kahheng said:
Which is why I can't figure out why anyone would pick up a Multiblitz set (no offence to Multiblitz users/sellers) if you can find Hensel in the same market. Like I had said earlier, it's also German made quality, the specs are very similar (frankly a little better on the Hensel side), Hensel has a wider range of accessories, and support is very very good locally. The agent has been the same one for many years.

If you compare Hensel to Elinchrom, it's a different story because the specs are different esp. wrt flash duration & recycling speed which can be critical to some end users. On this, Elinchrom generally has the edge. Bowens is another brand to consider with it's own unique competitive advantages as well.

There's still Balcar and Profoto to consider if you have more money to spend.

I do wish to emphasise that I am speaking generally about the entry level offerings from all the brands mentioned

Here's a tip:
Buy a Bowens but leave out all the accessories. Get the cheaper China-made ones instead. Digicolor (a KL company) sells Bowens-compatible light modifiers (softbox, barn door, snoots etc) for pennies.

Grub said:
Hello Digi-Learner, I am also looking for lights. You said that Multiblitz have changed agents, do you happen to know who the new agent is? Also what is the pricing for Hensel? Thanks!

Like Digi-Learner Mentioned, the agent for Multiblitz is Stanley Lim Colour Centre. To find out more, there is actually a sticky in Consumers Corner. The thread shows a few of its range of products available. perhaps we can compare the specs over there. I'm sure why when it comes to buyin things like camera bodys n lenses, we wouldnt buy stuff from china n korea.The reason is clear n i belief it should apply to lights too.

hotlink to the Multiblitz sticky in consumers corner-
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=152733

Digi-Learner said:
Last time, the Multiblitz agent was somewhere in IMM Jurong East. I remembered calling them some months back, (got the initial address and phone from Multiblitz's website) but was told they no longer represent Multiblitz. I guess the website info wasn't updated promptly at the time I made the call.

Recently, someone mentioned SLCC and I discovered it is Stanley Lim Color Center. You may visit them and test out their units if you are keen on Multiblitz. I have the impression that they are quite helpful and friendly.

As for Hensel, it wouldn't be nice for me to quote prices here on a public forum. Personally, the bundled package (eg. 2 500ws lights with packaged accessories) are quite attractive. In fact, I found these packaged info from Hensel's own website before calling Ruby Imaging for a quote. Not bad, you may want to pay them a visit at Toa Payoh, look for Mr Charlie for assistance.

I hope someday, someone will be willing to represent the Korean brand too. :)

Visited BKK Thailand photo fair, happen to see Hensel was make in Thailand now, just like some other brands of car now also make in Thailand. Will the quality as good as original make in German??? To me is not. Just like buying car. Make in Japan and Thailand the price is difference by so much and the quality too! That's why you must know.

Many cool innovations n light formers i came across too from several european brands. Like for Bron Colour, I belief is the first ever company to start manufacturing studio lights, from Germany too, has a reflector head that looks like a satelite dish. Its huge n got many metal panels joined together that form a huge silver dish.

And for Multiblitz, a Heat resistant ball head, looks like a sphere head street lamp in parks, that is used for a great way to light up interiors for shooting. Its translucent and completely covers over the flash n the modelling lamp. Looks like it illuminates 360 degrees of light. So cool hey!

rz67 said:
Visited BKK Thailand photo fair, happen to see Hensel was make in Thailand now, just like some other brands of car now also make in Thailand. Will the quality as good as original make in German??? To me is not. Just like buying car. Make in Japan and Thailand the price is difference by so much and the quality too! That's why you must know.

Hey thanks for bringing this up. Which Hensel models are Thailand made would you know, or are all of them?

Do the Thais make things that are THAT bad? After what you just said I am getting very concerned about my D200 and IBM harddisks now.

rz67 said:
Make in Japan and Thailand the price is difference by so much and the quality too! That's why you must know.

Well... to my knowledge, the (toyota) camrys assembled in thailand actually have a statistically lower rate of failure opposed to those assembled in japan. Its actually in a study that was published one or two years ago, so don't assume that made in thailand is bad.

Use Guang Bao (光宝) lah, made in China !!! LOL

darrelchia said:
Well... to my knowledge, the (toyota) camrys assembled in thailand actually have a statistically lower rate of failure opposed to those assembled in japan. Its actually in a study that was published one or two years ago, so don't assume that made in thailand is bad.

Judging by the superior quality of their chilli bean paste, I have to agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.