Bounce Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a suggestion

do you know how wide a lens can be use with your card before the light fall off become not acceptable?

Why don't you guys spent $5 and get the plastic board from Artfriend?
It's the same material as the $18 card, and best of all, you can make at least 4 from a $5 board. It reflects better than the boards that you're using, and doesn't lose too much light..
give it a try..

oh, you may have to invest $5 in a plastic cutter though..

unseen said:
It's the same material as the $18 card, and best of all, you can make at least 4 from a $5 board. It reflects better than the boards that you're using, and doesn't lose too much light..
give it a try..

Hehe.. that's what i did! Works like a dream. :)

unseen said:
give it a try..

plastic board? hmm..might check it out tom or soon.

I just bought a jusBounce bounce card from TK Photo today at $18. Looks pretty good but don't intend to mount it on my 420EX first until i get my 430EX somewhere around mid year LOL :bsmilie:

unseen said:
give it a try..

If I remember correct, I bought from Artfriend a piece of plastic-like board (architecture students will know the correct name) for $2.40 and it's big enough to make 2 pieces of bounce card. Sent the board to my friend's workshop and it was done in minutes. I got 2 pieces of super nice bounce card for $1.20 each. Of course, you still need spend a few dollars on velcro.

The motivation to make a bounce card for myself was because I find that normal bounce card is a little too small to my liking as doesn't spread the light wide enough. Hence, I made it slightly bigger than normal.

There's a problem with your illustrations. The picture WITHOUT bounce card actually looks better. You need to specifiy whether for WITHOUT bounce card, did you point flash directly, or bounced off ceiling. It seems as if it is bounced off ceiling, the lighting looks quite diffused.

For the picture WITH bounce card, at first it looks softer. But on closer inspection, this is because the image is blur. I believe it is due to shake, as I can see some double images.

The comparisons are thus not fair. Maybe a tripod will be better?

smtan24 said:
I made a bounce card from some plastic I got from Popular. There the picture and results.

PICT00751.JPG

BOunce Card on the Flash

Breathe said:
There's a problem with your illustrations. The picture WITHOUT bounce card actually looks better. You need to specifiy whether for WITHOUT bounce card, did you point flash directly, or bounced off ceiling. It seems as if it is bounced off ceiling, the lighting looks quite diffused.

For the picture WITH bounce card, at first it looks softer. But on closer inspection, this is because the image is blur. I believe it is due to shake, as I can see some double images.

The comparisons are thus not fair. Maybe a tripod will be better?

On closer inspection you are correct. I'll try again with a tripod to see the results.

Keep us updated :D

I redid the test (used a tripod & cable release) and here are the results:

Direct_Flash.JPG

Direct Flash

White_Bounce.JPG

White Bounce Card (90 Degree)

Black_Bounce.JPG

Black Bounce Card (90 Degree)

60_degree_bounce.JPG

60 Degree Bounce

thanks for taking the trouble. just some comments/suggestions

it may be better to test all of them at the same bounce angle instead of 90 degree with bounce card, and direct/60 degrees without. that way we can see what difference the card makes. otherwise it could just be the bounce angle etc.

for some reason, only the picture with the direct flash is in focus. the others seem blur (check the flowers on the bag)

pai said:
thanks for taking the trouble. just some comments/suggestions

it may be better to test all of them at the same bounce angle instead of 90 degree with bounce card, and direct/60 degrees without. that way we can see what difference the card makes. otherwise it could just be the bounce angle etc.

for some reason, only the picture with the direct flash is in focus. the others seem blur (check the flowers on the bag)

I check the images again. The I-dog seem to be in focus in all the images only the back ground seems blur in all but the direct flash.:dunno:

I got a better solution,

Just laminate a paper of your choice and you got a durable and reflective bounce card. :D

any comments?

Just velcroed my flash and the bounce card. Looks pretty gd i must say. But my velcroing it onto the flash head, there must be an allowance for the omnibounce and by attaching the card to the flash head, it automatically gives a slight tilt forward due to the weight of the card. Gd invention!

syazkal said:
Hi,
sorry ot a bit here..........how do u use this set up to take stage event e.g manhunt, Miss Spore ......quite far away, will the flash powerful enough to cover the distance....how do u direct the flash ? thanks

Cheers
Just point yr flash direct forward.
if the even't is too big, then you will need a hammerhead, like Metz 60CT4. :)

jnet6 said:
Just point yr flash direct forward.
if the even't is too big, then you will need a hammerhead, like Metz 60CT4. :)

Yes, in this case i also always direct flash.

Indeed it is strange why they are not in focus.

Focus aside I prefer the 60deg bounce over the bounce card for this example.

smtan24 said:
I redid the test (used a tripod & cable release) and here are the results:

Just looked at the EXIF.
Perhaps the F number has something to do with it.

Breathe said:
Just looked at the EXIF.
Perhaps the F number has something to do with it.

All the pictures were shot F2.8 1/125 70mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.