Botanic in HDR

rcheong1282

Jun 30, 2010
West
Trying my hands with HDR at Botanic Gardens, here goes..

DSC_0002_sum.jpg

DSC_0035_sum.jpg

DSC_0041_sum1.jpg

DSC_0069_sum.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0014_sum.jpg

DSC_0072_sum.jpg

DSC_0084_sum.jpg

DSC_0096_sum.jpg

Last edited:
Overall I would say it's a very good effort...
The compositions are pleasing.

There are a few comments:
1) #1 would have been nicer with strong sunlight shining through the hanging roots to give a more uplifting mood. As it is, it looks a bit dull.
2) Similar comments with #2 and #3. Not sure if it was due to overcast weather or your PP style. Take note that the water looks a bit too magenta in #2.
3) Colours are a bit too saturated in most of the photos, to the point where it starts to look unnatural.
4) Is the water really purple in #7?
5) The B&W doesn't work for me, coz the shades are a bit flat and lacking in contrast. Not sure what is your focus/subject.

Overall I would say it's a very good effort...
The compositions are pleasing.

There are a few comments:
1) #1 would have been nicer with strong sunlight shining through the hanging roots to give a more uplifting mood. As it is, it looks a bit dull.
2) Similar comments with #2 and #3. Not sure if it was due to overcast weather or your PP style. Take note that the water looks a bit too magenta in #2.
3) Colours are a bit too saturated in most of the photos, to the point where it starts to look unnatural.
4) Is the water really purple in #7?
5) The B&W doesn't work for me, coz the shades are a bit flat and lacking in contrast. Not sure what is your focus/subject.

Thanks for comments, the shots were taken in between the rain as you can see the floor were wet, no strong sunlight at all.
Taken note of the over saturation, will go easy on my next session.
On the B&W, was just thinking maybe thinking of the good old times.

Good try in processing but pictures have no life to them.

Compositions are okay, I see foreground & background interest and intended main subjects, but emotionally it's lacking.

HDR is not about just increasing dynamic range, retaining detail in highlights & shadows, but to use that increased dynamic range to bring forth moods and emotions on what the place is and what it (would/could) feel like. Bring attention to the important areas and less to unimportant areas. Imagine having control over the sun, do you choose to light everything or do you select what you want lighted?

The most noticeable trend of the photos are that everything is bright. There is no play of light, no intended highlight, and no intended shadow. An overcast sky is good in a way, it helps to expand your creativity. Not every composition will work of course, so let's take the first photo as an example. You have overhead cover, naturally giving light & shade onto the path, vegetation along the path is unnaturally bright. I think we share the same conclusion on why it would make a good photo, it has the potential of being mysterious or dramatic under proper treatment. However, this HDR totally wiped that prospect out.

My advice is to study the scene once you've decided this would make a good photo. Decided which elements require an extended dynamic range and then expose for them. Bracket as little or as much as you need be it 3, 5, 7 or 12 shots. In photomatrix or which s/w you use, instead of dumping all in, select which files you want instead. Or if the s/w doesn't give what you want, manually blend them instead. Software operate in algorithms, it doesn't know how to manipulate a mood into what it's processing.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/08/portfolio-alexandre-deschaumes/
T
his was shot in overcast conditions too and while I don't know to what extent HDR was used, maybe not more than a few exposures each, but mood and emotion is retained and notice how not everything is well exposed. Our Botanic Gardens is 180° opposite of those peaks but the thought process is the same.

Sorry I didn't intend to write so much and make it like a critique. Must be suffering some withdrawal symptoms.

Continue having fun shooting, cheers~

Good try in processing but pictures have no life to them.

Compositions are okay, I see foreground & background interest and intended main subjects, but emotionally it's lacking.

HDR is not about just increasing dynamic range, retaining detail in highlights & shadows, but to use that increased dynamic range to bring forth moods and emotions on what the place is and what it (would/could) feel like. Bring attention to the important areas and less to unimportant areas. Imagine having control over the sun, do you choose to light everything or do you select what you want lighted?

The most noticeable trend of the photos are that everything is bright. There is no play of light, no intended highlight, and no intended shadow. An overcast sky is good in a way, it helps to expand your creativity. Not every composition will work of course, so let's take the first photo as an example. You have overhead cover, naturally giving light & shade onto the path, vegetation along the path is unnaturally bright. I think we share the same conclusion on why it would make a good photo, it has the potential of being mysterious or dramatic under proper treatment. However, this HDR totally wiped that prospect out.

My advice is to study the scene once you've decided this would make a good photo. Decided which elements require an extended dynamic range and then expose for them. Bracket as little or as much as you need be it 3, 5, 7 or 12 shots. In photomatrix or which s/w you use, instead of dumping all in, select which files you want instead. Or if the s/w doesn't give what you want, manually blend them instead. Software operate in algorithms, it doesn't know how to manipulate a mood into what it's processing.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/08/portfolio-alexandre-deschaumes/
T
his was shot in overcast conditions too and while I don't know to what extent HDR was used, maybe not more than a few exposures each, but mood and emotion is retained and notice how not everything is well exposed. Our Botanic Gardens is 180° opposite of those peaks but the thought process is the same.

Sorry I didn't intend to write so much and make it like a critique. Must be suffering some withdrawal symptoms.

Continue having fun shooting, cheers~

Thank you for your in depth comments, now that i understand more I look forward to improve in my coming shots. :D

I like 6! Very clean, strong colours, and little distraction in the picture.

Picture # 2 and 3 is nice. HDR shots often need a little work in Photoshop to bring out the colours naturally. It all depends on your own taste.

Last edited:
Picture # 2 and 3 is nice. HDR shots often need a little work in Photoshop to bring out the colours naturally. It all depends on your own taste.

Thanks for dropping by & also for your comments Daoyin. I do agree with you that it is all subjective to one's taste but I it is always good to hear from the experts & learn from evrybody...;)

Last edited:
rcheong1282 said:
Thanks for comments, the shots were taken in between the rain as you can see the floor were wet, no strong sunlight at all.
Taken note of the over saturation, will go easy on my next session.
On the B&W, was just thinking maybe thinking of the good old times.

Maybe different people different view. HDR should be taken in high saturation n high in contrast. What I viewed in those photos are prefect except #5 lack of contrast and if possible to take those statues closer to look the photo in 3D effect.

I replied to zerocool.

Maybe different people different view. HDR should be taken in high saturation n high in contrast. What I viewed in those photos are prefect except #5 lack of contrast and if possible to take those statues closer to look the photo in 3D effect.

Thanks for your comments, will take note.

#2,3,6 are nice! The B&W, would prefer more contrast. Keep it coming!