Botanic Gardens Episode II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Kho King
super sharp! Any tripod used? Can't imagine going that close...whithout blur. Is it because of the flash that freeze the photo?

thanks, nope tripod wasn't used, the flash allowed shutter speeds like 1/200s to even 1/1000s to be used, so freezing any camera shake.

Originally posted by Tweek
Thanks again for all the nice comments. :)

revenant, my flash setup looks like the below:

flashsetup.jpg

I just attach a white card to the top of the flash head using velcro, and the card is inclined at 45 degrees to the flash head. When taking the macros, sometimes I will detach the flash from the bracket so that I can position it at more desirable places, esp when the area is constraint.

oh ok. How you place the flash? It's seems like it will need a support below.

Originally posted by revenant
oh ok. How you place the flash? It's seems like it will need a support below.

the flash is attached to the flash bracket lor, the part where the black handle is. I handheld this setup for my shots.

Really nice! :thumbsup:

Have you ever tried taking with the built in flash with a tripod instead? Will it be able to achieve similar result as yours?

Hmm... Now I'm wondering if my cousin's Nikon SB-25 can be attached as the external flash of my C700UZ. Can anyone advise?

Originally posted by ultrazoom

Have you ever tried taking with the built in flash with a tripod instead? Will it be able to achieve similar result as yours?

Hmm... Now I'm wondering if my cousin's Nikon SB-25 can be attached as the external flash of my C700UZ. Can anyone advise?

Thanks ultrazoom. Built-in flash won't do because it fires a direct flash and may blow out the pic. You can add a diffuser to soften the flash, but it can only function more like a fill-flash than an illuminating flash. Which means, shutter speed may be slow if the ambient light isn't enough. For that, you will have to use a tripod, and the shutter speed should be at least 1/100 or faster to prevent blurring. Also, the direct flash of the built in flash comes from the front, and may be unnatural, unlike the bounced light from the external flash, which emulates better the effect of natural sunlight.

That said, wanna say that you can still take good insect macros without using flash, totally relying on ambient sunlight, just that you have to hope that the light is enough for you to use a fast shutter speed, and you'd most probably have to use a tripod.

The SB-25 probably can't be fixed to your c700uz as I believe it is a dedicated flash only for certain Nikon systems. You will need a flash that has a terminal for sync cords. You will also need the olympus cable FL-CB04 to connect the c700uz to the flash.

yes i think you can use the SB25. You will need to get the FLCB04 cable plus an hotshoe adapter.

Originally posted by zhapchit
yes i think you can use the SB25. You will need to get the FLCB04 cable plus an hotshoe adapter.

Great! May I know how much it costs for each accessory? Any particular brand/model when getting the hotshoe adapter?

Tweek, thanks a lot for the advice. By the way, did you use any noise reduction software, or are the pictures as is? Now your pictures are really tempting me to getting all these accessories. ;p

Great! May I know how much it costs for each accessory? Any particular brand/model when getting the hotshoe adapter?

FLCB04 is around $90 and the hotshoe adapter is around $10-20.
Can get them both either at AP or CP. Think they only have one brand there.

Tweek, thanks a lot for the advice. By the way, did you use any noise reduction software, or are the pictures as is? Now your pictures are really tempting me to getting all these accessories. ;p

No problem, nope no noise reduction was performed, only very slight adjustment in levels and some unsharp mask applied. Go get those accessories if they are ok with your budget, they opened another arena of photography for me! ;)

Thanks a lot zhapchit for the price info. ;) The prices are still well within my budget. Just need a second opinion on whether the SB-25 will work fine with it.

And Tweek, sorry but hope you don't mind this one last question... For the Sharpness & Contrast on the C700UZ, what should I set to? Currently it's set to Normal. Actually this will affect the LCD or the end result of the picture?

And Tweek, sorry but hope you don't mind this one last question... For the Sharpness & Contrast on the C700UZ, what should I set to? Currently it's set to Normal. Actually this will affect the LCD or the end result of the picture?

I set both to the default normal. I have tried taking pics with different sharpness and contrast settings, and I could only tell very small differences, therefore I stuck to the default. Some people prefer to set sharpness to low, so that you can do your own sharpening (unsharp mask) to your own preference after that. I guess it's all up to personal taste and preference. Why not try taking the same subject with different settings and see which one you like best?

Thanks a million, Tweek. Wouldn't have learnt so much today if you didn't share with me. Hope to see more nice pictures of yours. Meanwhile, I'll brush up my skills and hopefully can take pictures as good as yours one day. :)

Thanks a million, Tweek. Wouldn't have learnt so much today if you didn't share with me. Hope to see more nice pictures of yours. Meanwhile, I'll brush up my skills and hopefully can take pictures as good as yours one day. :)

no probz, buddy, I learnt all those from the nice pple in clubsnap too. This is a learning community! :D Hope to see more of your shots too, and don't strive to take pics like me, you should aim higher for megaweb's standard!

Sorry Tweek, I'm back with 2 questions.

How far were you away from the dragon flies? I find that if it's 10-15cm away, wouldn't you scare them away?

Also, where and how much did you pay for the flash bracket? Any particular brand and model?

Sorry Tweek, I'm back with 2 questions.

How far were you away from the dragon flies? I find that if it's 10-15cm away, wouldn't you scare them away?

Also, where and how much did you pay for the flash bracket? Any particular brand and model?

You would scare them aware if you were too fast in your approach, it takes practice to approach them tactically, or wait for them to come into your intended position. Generally, dragonflies being scared away mildly will return to the same spot in seconds. But if your presence is too overwhelming, they may never come back. Some dragonflies don't even fly away, they just stay there. Do not set at 10-15cm straightaway, start a bit further, then approach slowly, until you can get a good magnification you want, or until you feel that the dragonfly is starting to get uncomfortable.

See this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4686 for details on my setup and the flash bracket. ;)

Thanks a lot for the great tips and the link. :)

Just wondering, what's an hotshoe adapter?

And what's with the flash that you guys were always talking about for Sony's F707?

Something about hotshoe also...

Originally posted by Necroist
Just wondering, what's an hotshoe adapter?

Hmm... You make me wonder too...

it is an adaptor to convert the pc cord connector to a standard hotshoe mount with the contact. Say if a flash does not support a pc cord, and the camera only supports pc cord and not hotshoe, we can connect a pc cord to the camera, attach the adaptor to the pc cord, then mount the flash onto the hotshoe of the adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.