Bicycle?? Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But a thick lock should be good right? How much do you think it will cost normally for a thick lock?

if u buying a cheap bike, just get a normal lock can liao... just to prevent casual thief and passer by from taking the bike and ride away.

i just saw last week at mustafa

they selling a full sup bicycle and come with disc brake for only $199

is it a good buy?

thanks

is it a good buy?

thanks

What brand?
A MTB from hypermart such as Carrefour, Giant, Mustafa will cost from $80 to $300.
But i wouldn't spend more than $150 if i were to get from these places.

is it a good buy?

thanks

A relatively good pair of disc brake alone without a bike cost you about 4-5 of the kind of bike you buy. If you are not into self servicing, they are a pain to maintain and align the brake calipers that sits just millimetres away from the disc. So the float is crucial. Now imagine your cheap bike with brake disc? You looking for nightmare you do not want on your bike after using it for a while.

Now if they break, your bike is as good as gone because to replace those brake discs will cost you alot more then your entire bike. And this cheap brake discs...I doubt you can find spare parts for them. There is also the matter of the brake oil that works the hydraulic to pump the oil that will activate the caliper clamping down on the disc to stop the bike. So you want that kind of hassle? Not going to impress anyone with brake discs. Those who know bikes myself..one look we know if that are good or not good. So don't care about the Bling Bling factor...unless you are buying the real deal. That is just my advice.

Go with a bike that use the normal U brakes. They are easy to maintain, powerful braking power, tough and easy to fix and clean if something go wrong. And it is also lighter compare to those cheap brake disc.

Also note...with a bike that has brake disc...USUALLY...fixture that let you change from brake disc system to normal U brake system might be missing some mounting points. If that is the case for sure you will have no way to change over to the cheaper U brake when it comes time to change over to save you some cash.

Recommend you check out Cannodale on Frankel Ave, near Siglap. I remember they occasional bring in budget range Cannodale mountain bikes. Always sold out within a week. Look for Daniel and tell him "the other ipod slut"(dun ask) sent you. May be slightly more expensive, but you would appreciate the difference in the bikes.

For me, I am sticking with my 13 year old trak. Darn hard-wearing mountain bike! Not sure if they make them like this anymore.

Recommend you check out Cannodale on Frankel Ave, near Siglap. I remember they occasional bring in budget range Cannodale mountain bikes. Always sold out within a week. Look for Daniel and tell him "the other ipod slut"(dun ask) sent you. May be slightly more expensive, but you would appreciate the difference in the bikes.

For me, I am sticking with my 13 year old trak. Darn hard-wearing mountain bike! Not sure if they make them like this anymore.

they do and they are actually called TREK. :sticktong:devil::sweatsm: And Cannodale MTB are not cheap even for their taiwan made ones leh heheh....

Last edited:

Any idea how much I am looking at for the budget Cannondales?

Or can just go for the entry level MTB from GT and Giant.
The GT Avalanche 3.0 and Giant Boulder are around the range of $400+.
Frame is much better built and lighter, more decent components.

thought cannondale min about 1k plus. i'm still using my 1998 cannondale v700

A relatively good pair of disc brake alone without a bike cost you about 4-5 of the kind of bike you buy. If you are not into self servicing, they are a pain to maintain and align the brake calipers that sits just millimetres away from the disc. So the float is crucial. Now imagine your cheap bike with brake disc? You looking for nightmare you do not want on your bike after using it for a while.

Now if they break, your bike is as good as gone because to replace those brake discs will cost you alot more then your entire bike. And this cheap brake discs...I doubt you can find spare parts for them. There is also the matter of the brake oil that works the hydraulic to pump the oil that will activate the caliper clamping down on the disc to stop the bike. So you want that kind of hassle? Not going to impress anyone with brake discs. Those who know bikes myself..one look we know if that are good or not good. So don't care about the Bling Bling factor...unless you are buying the real deal. That is just my advice.

Go with a bike that use the normal U brakes. They are easy to maintain, powerful braking power, tough and easy to fix and clean if something go wrong. And it is also lighter compare to those cheap brake disc.

Also note...with a bike that has brake disc...USUALLY...fixture that let you change from brake disc system to normal U brake system might be missing some mounting points. If that is the case for sure you will have no way to change over to the cheaper U brake when it comes time to change over to save you some cash.

That's really a sound good advice from an experienced biker.
Never buy a bike with cheap disc brakes.
After much research and advice from hardcore bikers, go for something decent
like spending at least 1K if you are wanting to go disc.

Any idea how much I am looking at for the budget Cannondales?

A budget Cannondales with V brakes cost around S$800 more or less depending on
the model of your choice and the LBS selling price policy.

A disc brake Cannondales, you will have to pay at least S$300 to S$400 more.

I think the price range is getting further and further away from TS price range :)

I like the price / weight / performance ratio of my Raleigh (see the contact given earlier), for 200-300, thats fine.

Obviously those with deeper pockets can explore higher brands. Most important, just do it.... buy and get out there!

I cycle around the Pierce Area, in case anyone wants to join me, very light casual stuff, no long range cycles.

I cycle around the Pierce Area, in case anyone wants to join me, very light casual stuff, no long range cycles.

Good to learn that there is a possibility for a photographers' cycling activities
to be organised in the near future.

List here and continue here for those interested:

1. petetherock
2. sammy888
3. forward
4. ?

----------------------------------------
The soul and the cycling itch...
the soul is always thriving on
remembering that two wheels
is better than four. Feed it with fond
memories and it will come alive.
Don't keep that bike at home.

:)

Good to learn that there is a possibility for a photographers' cycling activities
to be organised in the near future.

List here and continue here for those interested:

1. petetherock
2. sammy888
3. forward
4. ?

----------------------------------------
The soul and the cycling itch...
the soul is always thriving on
remembering that two wheels
is better than four. Feed it with fond
memories and it will come alive.
Don't keep that bike at home.

:)

Wahsay...how did my name get up there? heh.. I am not the lone wolf for nothing heheh...

Forward
I don't cycle very far, but if people are keen for a short cycle around the Peirce area, some pratas over CNY, some photo shoots of non XMM material, then sure...

Best to start our own new thread though

Cheers

Forward
I don't cycle very far, but if people are keen for a short cycle around the Peirce area, some pratas over CNY, some photo shoots of non XMM material, then sure...

Best to start our own new thread though

Cheers

Don't worry, am just doing the same thing - slow leisure cycling to enjoy the
peace and quietness of the environment. Perhaps as one has more cycling
buddies, he or she will have more encouragement to make more efforts in
what one is doing.

Like the saying "monkey see, monkey do". Who knows through the
assoication with regular cyclists one will pick up more strength through more
positive mental power and finally achieving a more healthier life.

You can start another thread if you like anytime and even after CNY.
Take it slowly and enjoy every minute while you are up on the saddle.

:thumbsup::)

Just to bring this up in case anyone wants to get Raleigh bikes cheap - NOTE - I am not related to them

You can also go to a distributor and get a Raleigh cheap:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...0253#msg390253

Hiap Guan Metal Industries (Pte) Ltd
Blk 4 , Tagore Lane
Singapore 787469 (65) 64564584

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.