Being a photographer should.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
or does photographer speaks with the royal pronounce?
:dunno::dunno:

gong simi?
This method was taught by Bryan Peterson in his book...

So he makes no point? :bigeyes:
i think what roygoh means is that you shouldn't blindly rely on the camera's meter, since it is easily tricked. depending on the metering mode, anyways.

0 ev all the time might not be appropriate.

i think what roygoh means is that you shouldn't blindly rely on the camera's meter, since it is easily tricked. depending on the metering mode, anyways.

0 ev all the time might not be appropriate.

Hmmm..... my impression was like u r silly if u use m mode but still use camera metering for exposure assisting...

I think like most other machines, photographers should use Manual mode as a form of manual override. I use M mode frequently when taking night shots, since my camera's metering system is easily fooled by the complexed lighting or when I intend to take really long exposures. Otherwise, I hardly use M mode. It's so much easier using A, S or P modes.

It's kinda like saying you must drive a manual car to be a true driver. You let the automatic handle the mundane stuff, and you switch to manual when you need that extra bit of acceleration.

Besides, we should all be aware that modern digital cameras today are a far cry from the manual cameras of the past... Even in M mode, electronics have automated more than 50% of the entire image taking process.

Hmmm..... my impression was like u r silly if u use m mode but still use camera metering for exposure assisting...

he probably meant that you are silly if you use m mode but use the camera metering blindly.

of course the exposure assistance is there for a reason. but if you claim to be a master when you are still a slave to the camera.. just because you use m mode.. then you are not different from someone using auto mode, just that you know how to fiddle with your camera a little more, i guess.

he probably meant that you are silly if you use m mode but use the camera metering blindly.

of course the exposure assistance is there for a reason. but if you claim to be a master when you are still a slave to the camera.. just because you use m mode.. then you are not different from someone using auto mode, just that you know how to fiddle with your camera a little more, i guess.

agreed ;)

oh gosh*

The end justifies the means :think:

Who cares if i used 'Auto' mode to capture a great shot?
(well, actually some people do, but those people need their heads examined :nono:)

i always shoot in P mode wor, lidat ok mah?:confused:

Aiya... Just shoot with a simple camera that only has 2 buttons...
1) On/Off button
2) Shutter button

Think so much for what?

oh gosh*

The end justifies the means :think:

Who cares if i used 'Auto' mode to capture a great shot?
(well, actually some people do, but those people need their heads examined :nono:)

Can you imagine? Someone comments, "A great shot!"... then proceeds to check exif... then frowns when it indicates P mode... Haha!

This method was taught by Bryan Peterson in his book...

So he makes no point? :bigeyes:

I have not read about Bryan Peterson's method...if he asks his reader to use manual mode on a camera that has auto function mode just to follow the camera's metering then yes it makes no sense.

What I have described was a person who used manual mode on a auto-capable camera only to set his aperture and shutter exactly according to the camera's metering. The exposure setting has no difference from if he had let the camera control the setting. As such, it is pointless. Just wasting time on manually setting the dial to the same as what the camera would have used, and there is nothing to be proud of.

Just like to share some thoughts.My first camera was the Nikon F2 Photomic back in 1977 and has a centerweigh exposure metering + o - system.Fully a manual camera.

But when electronics were introduced to cameras the whole genre of photography changed.
The idea of letting the camera choose the exposure settings was overwhelming.It kinda lessen the hassle for the photog to fiddle with exposures manually.With the camera handling
the exposure either AV, TV or even P mode it will be able to allow the photog to concentrate on composition,DOF etc etc.This is technology which is unavoidale unless one
chose to be left behind.

At the crux of the issue is and still be the photographer who is the one creating great
pictures.

it is the pictures that matters...it doesn't matter what mode you use...
M mode /AV/TV just gives you more control and allows for some creative shots sometime auto mode can't provide..

Well if there are indeed anyone who swears by using M mode is the "real" way, he/she is just like the same smart a** who beholds he can freeze a speeding bullet with a pns.

watever mode is only a small part of photo taking.

modes are jus tools to help photographers do their job easier, eg, filleting knife, chopper, carving knife, meat saw ... ...

modes ve nothin to do w perception, subject matter, composition, decisive moment, light and shadow, focusing ... ...things tat made up the bulk of photography.

Anyway all this talk are gonna led to the "the man behind...not the...its the photograp...la la la lalalala..." repeated song again.:sticktong

I have not read about Bryan Peterson's method...if he asks his reader to use manual mode on a camera that has auto function mode just to follow the camera's metering then yes it makes no sense.

I read Peterson's book. His point was the creative use of exposure. You do not blindly follow the camera's metering. True, he uses phrases like 'until the camera indicates the correct exposure' frequently.

He doesn't write this but the reader is likely to be one who knows some camera basics. If one knows his camera is usually x stop(s) over/under-exposed, one would have to make the necessary adjustments.

Granted, with current technology, one can use the P mode to achieve the same objective. However, the user must still know what image he wants to take in the first place, adjusting for exposure compensation.

Another point I find useful in the book is the use of spot metering: when to use it and where to meter.

I once heard someone claimed proudly that he took a picture in M mode. After some "interrogation" I realised that all he did was to set the aperture first, then check the camera's metering info while adjusting the shutter speed, until the camera told him the exposure is right for his "manual" settings, then he pressed the shutter release.

So what's the point? What he did was a merely a crippled version of Av (or aperture priority) mode.

Can you enlighten me how you use the M mode then? You adjust the two variables simultaneously? Or somehow you already mentally computed the variables before you look through the viewfinder?

Hi All, just only my concern....

I very new to photography and I'm very confuse regards to the type of shooting mode.

To achieve taking beautiful/nice/stunning photos, as a photographer should shoot only in
M mode (manual)?

If I'm using Auto mode (fully auto) or Aperture priority or shutter priority which may result in good photos taken too. Does this mean that I'm not a photographer? :cry:

I felt sad for myself to own a DSLR camera which I dont even know how to handler shooting in M mode like the exposure, aperture, shutter & composition....

Ya, not only must you use M mode, you should not do any PP on your pics also, they must be perfect straight from the camera. If not, you're not a true photographer...

Come on... dun listen to all those BS. :nono: It's as silly as those who insist on buying a manual car because they think automatic gearshift = no skill. Impt thing is to know the basics & your camera well so that you're able to compensate quickly once you find the exposure is not correct on your LCD. Nobody cares wat mode you took the pics in. :)

*For certain situation like long exposure night shoot, it does make sense to use M mode though.

Can you enlighten me how you use the M mode then? You adjust the two variables simultaneously? Or somehow you already mentally computed the variables before you look through the viewfinder?

I rarely used it as I don't see a need to. If I want to deviate from the camera's meterred setting, say for example, to compensate for backlight or to prevent under-exposure of a mostly white scene then I simply use the exposure compensation setting.

My approach is usually to use aperture priority mode, then use exposure compensation if necessary.

Exposure compensation is easier and faster on the D200 then to go to M mode then manually set the shutter speed to deviate from the camera's metered setting.

I do use M mode when doing flash photography, but that is mainly because I do not own the latest flash that has TTL capabilities with my D200. I am still using my old and trusty SB-24 and SB-26. In this case I use M mode to give me more control over the mix of flash and ambient lighting. It is cumbersome but manageable, and I do not see the need to claim "I used M mode" like it is some thing that I should be proud of.

At the end of the day, like you and many others have said, there are more than one way to get to the desired exposure setting. And M mode is probably the mose cumbersome in my opinion, at least for modern DSLRs. Most important thing is that one understands what he/she us trying to achieve and how to get there. Treating the M mode like some form of photography achievement is just a sign of ignorance.

I meant one is silly to use manual setting that follows the camera metering exactly. Like someone is silly to add numbers manually when there is a calculator nearby. Of course one can argue that the manual addition is done to excercise the brain...but it is definitely not the best use of one's time when the results are due in a short time.

To elaborate...a photographer picks an aperture setting blindly, and then turn the shutter speed dial while checking the camera's metering until the exposure meter shows that the exposure is correct. Say the shutter speed is 1/60. The photographer then happily presses the shutter release. How is that any better than just using aperture priority mode, in which the camera would still use the shutter speed of 1/60 and arrive at that setting in a much shorter time that gives the photographer a better chance of capturing the decisive moment of the scene?

To use the auto transmission versus manual transmission analogy. Imagine a car that has both auto and manual transmission mode that the driver can switch between. And imagine the car also has a "gear recommendation" indication that shows the driver which gear the auto transmission mode would be using at any time. Now imagine 3 different drivers:

1. A driver who drives in manual mode, and does not refer to the "gear recommendation" indication at all, but relies on his experience and the actual driving conditions to set the gear.

2. A driver who uses the auto tranmission mode completely.

3. A driver who uses manual tranmission, but sets his gear according to the "gear recommendation" indicator, but tells everyone that he drives "manually".

Which driver sounds like the photographer who claims that M mode is the true photogrpahy mode?

What do you mean? His nikon cam is on M mode

Read his book!

his NIKON set to M mode?

now i know why it didnt apply to me. cus last time, i use cosina, then minolta and now, Canon. never use nikon before.

maybe this is the reason i use Av 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.