Beginner... and newbie too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello...welcome. Hope you'll get your cam too.

Perhaps you would like to consider other brands too, there are lots of 2nd hand cams around.

Yeah i've considered other brands. A few frenzs of mine got pentax camera. One of them brought it along for fun on one of e gatherings n i asked to see it. It was quite good as canon n asked him abt it n its functions. I even asked him if i can rent it! haha.. Of cos not, he so a worriesome guy so he said no but he could let mi use it for e gathering only lol.. :p Well, it's not e only reason. E other reason I know a bit abt canon than pentax so i figured i'd get 2nd canon first. When i've practised/improved on my photography n have more $$ (haha), i might switch to other brands, like maybe nikon or pentax but that's far ahead. For now, i'll try canon first.

I knew it! There's no 300 bucks of any camera around, rite? Well, it doesnt matter. I long knew it wasn't possible. :) Someone's selling mi 350D, haven't tried it before so i guess i'll get it. :) Sadly i've set that amt aside for e trip soon so it's another a month long for waiting before i get a real camera! ><

best way to learn all the features is to do hands-on...shoot shoot shoot! - I totally agree! Which is why i asked for advise on second hand camera on my first try here! Before i signed up, i've been reading up lots in forum here for abt 3 -4 days to make sure i know wassup here. Hmm, speaking of that, a frenz told mi reading up is no use, get a camera first n then shoot. Is that true?:what:

"engineers are boring pple. they take up the most boring hobbies, which are so technical they bore most pple to death." - Good one! ;)

i wun say reading up dun help, but practical shooting let u learn much faster...

IMHO, if u start using canon, stick to canon else u will have to change most, if not all, your gear as the lenses, flash and all that cannot be used... only things that you can keep when you switch brands will be your accessories like bag and cleaning kit... think abt it carefully...

my friend moved from Oly to Canon and he had to sell all his gear as the lenses wun be able to fit and the flash mount is different...

*piss* I'm using a lowepro bag with nikon on it...simply cos so many ppl have this bag and many wan to sell it...i sold my small lowepro and bought this bigger one at the same price!

If you can understand what you read, it helps.

Yah, i've been reading up on articles n tutorials on how to use DSLR but still all that is pointless when i dun even have my own DSLR... lol.

ANyway, i've been wondering abt this. I've been interested in pet photography. Is there e specific DSLR to shoot pet photography? Wat would be e best for shooting? Can advise mi on that also? :) If i get my first DSLR, i hope to do pet n nature photography n post! :)

Is there e specific DSLR to shoot pet photography?

For pets a DSLR might be a bit too bulky (e.g. for a cat). Have a look what Mr. Lee is taking: http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/cc_index_en.htm

The concept of SLR (and also DSLR) is to change lenses according to the object / purpose of the shoot. But still you won't find any cat lens or lizard lens. It's all about object, distance and desired result. A 200mm lens 2m next to an elephant might be as useful as a 50mm lens for birding. (Unless you want to explore skin parasites of elephants...) Continue reading, it helps a lot even though you don't have a camera at hand.
Check this link to Tamron website (Tamron is a third party lens manufacturer). The link helps to understand focal length and field of view.

Yah, i've been reading up on articles n tutorials on how to use DSLR but still all that is pointless when i dun even have my own DSLR... lol.

ANyway, i've been wondering abt this. I've been interested in pet photography. Is there e specific DSLR to shoot pet photography? Wat would be e best for shooting? Can advise mi on that also? :) If i get my first DSLR, i hope to do pet n nature photography n post! :)

The camera bodies aren't designed to be so specific I think. But if you treat pet photography like portraiture then I'd guess you'd want to go full frame for the various advantages I haven't experienced myself. But I guess it doesn't really matter if you're not getting too serious about it..

For me, I think any DSLR with it's kit lens(18-70mm)will provide a very good training for a wide range of usage whether it's pets, nature/macro, landscape and portraits. After the training with the kit lens, only then you will know what you'll need to improve further - a new lens? a new cam? or you need to shoot more to learn and learn.

Almost 80% of my newbie shots at myflickr are shot with my kit lens :)

Thanks for ur reccommendations, guys! :) But i'm still unsure of which i should get for a beginner. Haha.. HOw i wish i could buy D400 instantly e moment i get my pay! But sighz.. i've other things to pay n it's so expensive nowsday O_O so yeah, 2nd hand camera is one option i've considered for a long time.

I've not tried 350d before, i only tried 400d n 450d but 350d is on sale, so i'll try it as well as look around for it in classfied.

I'll be looking forward to be in world of photography! XD I'll update once i get 2nd camera! n also post! Cheers!

By the way..... Be careful of the BBB Virus...... It is very dangerous............ :bigeyes:

What Octarine siad is pretty accurate. Its about how you want to capture your subject :) Getting good pet photos is quite similar to wildlife as for both you have to be very familiar with thier behavioral patterns in order to know how(pets) and where(pertains more to wildlife and strays) to shoot them. What differs for pets is that you have much more intimate access to your subject :)

When you find your style you will find yourself favoring some focal lengths for certain situations and through experience will learn what works and what doesn't.

Bodywise I'd say stick to and entry level then upgrade when you know HOW the body is limiting you. Chances are you will get lenses first ;p

I see. That's v interesting. I did shoot some pets on one gathering, rem i said in previous i borrowed his pentax camera? Only a few was quite good but most baaaad. I still have lots of improvements, a long way to go for mi, haha.. Too bad i forgot to ask him to upload e photos i took on that day. ><

I know mobilenerd is selling 2 sets of 350D. I bought my 400D from him, he's an honest seller.
Why not continue saving and then get the 400D you wanted?

You got 400D from him? oh i wanted to get that from him then. :D

TS - 400D/450D is good for newbies. Agree in B&S section, u get good bargains. Maybe 350D/300D will be in your budget range. :heart:

Hi All,

First of all, sorry TS for "hijacking" your thread. But instead of starting a new thread to make an intro, I thought it would make more sense to "share" your thread for my "breaking the duck" post.

I'm a newbie and keen to learn from the pros here. There are some very informative and interesting threads. This site rocks!

I just got an urge to take photography as a hobby and thought I'd just jump into the deep end and invested in a DSLR. I've got a long way to go but I'm a keen learner.

Looking forward to posting my 1st photo in the near future.

Cheers,
X-fazed

Reallie? haha. Didn't know if it's good for newbies but now i know. Well, I was more concerned for 2 main issues for e camera. One is $$ issue and two is good camera. I knew wat i was looking for in DSLR but $$ always got into 'barrier'. LOL.

You got 400D from him? oh i wanted to get that from him then. :D

TS - 400D/450D is good for newbies. Agree in B&S section, u get good bargains. Maybe 350D/300D will be in your budget range. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.