Before I purchase Panasonic DMC-FZ30..

Status
Not open for further replies.
genegoh said:
I was making that decision some time back too. But at the end of the day, I got a FZ30. No regrets. Only problem is noise. Although sometimes I'm tempted to want to buy a DSLR, I know it's not time yet. Now is the time to enjoy photography and make sure photography is what u really want before u start investing thousands into DSLR equipment.

yes gene, i agree too.. ;)

Took this last night. Can a DSLR take this with only $1K? Hehe...
Moon_080506.jpg

nice photo..!! never thought that our consumer camera can actually captures the moon.. well, will try that if i settle with fz30..

may i know how to take this photo.. zoom to 668mm (19.1x) at 3MP or mounted with telephoto conversion lens that extends range by 1.7x; so it can further zoom to 1135.6mm (32.5x) at 3MP with tripod..? thank you! :cool:

michhy said:
since you are buying the FZ-30, then prepare another extra $50 for noise-removal software

hi michhy,

which software you are referring to..? PictureCode Noise Ninja or NeatImage, plug-in for PS..? any recommendation..? thank you..! :)

chee_keon said:
nice photo..!! never thought that our consumer camera can actually captures the moon.. well, will try that if i settle with fz30..

may i know how to take this photo.. zoom to 668mm (19.1x) at 3MP or mounted with telephoto conversion lens that extends range by 1.7x; so it can further zoom to 1135.6mm (32.5x) at 3MP with tripod..? thank you! :cool:

I did a test. The extra zoom thing is just a crop. Meaning you get exactly the same thing when you take a 8MP shot and crop to 3MP and when you take a 3MP shot, assuming all at max zoom in.
Anyway, I didn't use any teleconverter. I just used the camera, max zoom. F8.0 as suggested by Reno (thanks dude!), aperture priority mode, spot AF & spot metering. With tripod of course. Remember to turn off OIS. ;)
Feel free to PM me ya? I still learning a lot from all the CSers though... hehe

As for noise reduction (hard to completely remove), I use Neat Image. :thumbsup:
Haven't tried others though, but good enough for me. :D

Since the price of entry level DSLR have plunged to meet that of prosumers' the choice has actually become much easier. To me the factors are these

1) You need the 300mm zoom, die die must have
2) you would not want to spend any more money then is necessary to get that zoom
3) You have never thought about upgrading to DSLR ( and I mean NEVER thought of it), because of all the guys that I know ( I am assuming that the thread starter is a guy, apology if you are not), once they have even the slightest thought of an electronics toy, at best , you could delay the purchase, but you could almost never eliminate it.

One can say that you will slowly want to buy new lenses to meet your new needs, like macro, wide angles, etc, but does buying a prosumer eliminate that future desire????
If that desire do creep in, which most probably it will, what do you do then? try to sell away your prosumer at a loss and buy a DSLR?...... most probably.

Buyers of prosumers used to consider the option because it is a cheap alternative to have a near SLR kind of control, at a cheaper price, but now, you could get a DSLR at a prosumer price, so I actually do smell the beginning of the demise of prosumers unless they could raise a level and meet the noise level of DSLR.

If you do not absolutely need the 300mm reach now, my vote will go for the DSLR

[. Prosumer like FZ30 minimize (not eliminate)the technicalities of that.

I do know know how it would minimize the technicalities of it,

1) If you want manual control , both has it
2) If you want point and shoot functions, both has it,
3) If you want preset programme or scenes, both have it:dunno:

Nikonnew said:
Since the price of entry level DSLR have plunged to meet that of prosumers' the choice has actually become much easier. To me the factors are these

1) You need the 300mm zoom, die die must have
2) you would not want to spend any more money then is necessary to get that zoom
3) You have never thought about upgrading to DSLR ( and I mean NEVER thought of it), because of all the guys that I know ( I am assuming that the thread starter is a guy, apology if you are not), once they have even the slightest thought of an electronics toy, at best , you could delay the purchase, but you could almost never eliminate it.

One can say that you will slowly want to buy new lenses to meet your new needs, like macro, wide angles, etc, but does buying a prosumer eliminate that future desire????
If that desire do creep in, which most probably it will, what do you do then? try to sell away your prosumer at a loss and buy a DSLR?...... most probably.

Buyers of prosumers used to consider the option because it is a cheap alternative to have a near SLR kind of control, at a cheaper price, but now, you could get a DSLR at a prosumer price, so I actually do smell the beginning of the demise of prosumers unless they could raise a level and meet the noise level of DSLR.

If you do not absolutely need the 300mm reach now, my vote will go for the DSLR

Aiyoh.. why the perception that the price of entry level DSLRs have dropped to match the prosumers? It is just the body that dropped right? What about the lenses and the other accesories? I don't see a 580EX or a SB600/800 dropping in price much.

Don't forget, it is not just the DSLR bodies dropping in prices.. it seems that everything, from the compacts to the prosumer-class cameras, are dropping in price. My colleague got his Coolpix 8800 for 1.7k (rough estimate) and some of the Olympus prosumers in the past are really pricey.. but look at the cameras on sale now! (FZ7, S3, Sony H2... except for the R1)

You may also wish to consider the fact that some of the prosumers are already owners of their own DSLRs.. (deviating a bit here, sorry for the OT) So are you going to tell them a prosumers' not worth it?

In the end, every camera class has their own niche in the market. DSLRs, PnS, Ultra-zooms, medium format, etc.

Hexlord said:
Aiyoh.. why the perception that the price of entry level DSLRs have dropped to match the prosumers? It is just the body that dropped right? What about the lenses and the other accesories? I don't see a 580EX or a SB600/800 dropping in price much.

Don't forget, it is not just the DSLR bodies dropping in prices.. it seems that everything, from the compacts to the prosumer-class cameras, are dropping in price. My colleague got his Coolpix 8800 for 1.7k (rough estimate) and some of the Olympus prosumers in the past are really pricey.. but look at the cameras on sale now! (FZ7, S3, Sony H2... except for the R1)

You may also wish to consider the fact that some of the prosumers are already owners of their own DSLRs.. (deviating a bit here, sorry for the OT) So are you going to tell them a prosumers' not worth it?

In the end, every camera class has their own niche in the market. DSLRs, PnS, Ultra-zooms, medium format, etc.

I am really comparing a 1k prosumer to an entry level DSLR like d50 OR PENTAX DL (directing to the thread). of course if one is to consider a 600 bucks H1 and a Entry level DSLR, then we are talking about $$diff here., then it's a different decision altogether.

Hexlord said:

My apology, when I say demise of Prosumers, i am really thinking about models that cost 1k or more........Prosumers in the range of 600 to 800k will probably still has it place for people who do not want to spend too much

Nikonnew said:
My apology, when I say demise of Prosumers, i am really thinking about models that cost 1k or more........Prosumers in the range of 600 to 800k will probably still has it place for people who do not want to spend too much

To go the dSLR way, one needs to be self-discipline. If not such owner will eventually give up or worst still ruin themselves financially.

People here should be more responsible when suggesting to others. Logically if FZ30 cost a little less than some dSLR system, should people go for dSLR?

Some of them are at crossroads, I certainly was one of them. Doesn't mean chee_keon won't want to spend more.

Maybe the convenience/ease of a prosumer cam might be his reason.

Or maybe he doesn't want to lug around 10kg worth of equiptment. Pricing is not the ultimate buying point.:nono:

greenieadi said:
To go the dSLR way, one needs to be self-discipline. If not such owner will eventually give up or worst still ruin themselves financially.

People here should be more responsible when suggesting to others. Logically if FZ30 cost a little less than some dSLR system, should people go for dSLR?

Some of them are at crossroads, I certainly was one of them. Doesn't mean chee_keon won't want to spend more.

Maybe the convenience/ease of a prosumer cam might be his reason.

Or maybe he doesn't want to lug around 10kg worth of equiptment. Pricing is not the ultimate buying point.:nono:

Sorry, didn't not know it will be interpreted this way, ...........a question was asked...an opinion was given.....of course end of the day, it's up to oneself. diff people make the same purchase for diff reason.....no single reason will fit all

greenieadi said:

This is the reason why I'm not using a dSLR.
Mainly because I need the movie recording capabilty - it's very useful when going for gathering with friends, or outings where short 10 or 20 minute movie clips can really carry more memories than a hundred photos.

Imagine looking at your own baby photos dated 20 years ago, and viewing a movie clip of yourself 20 years ago, with sound and all... big difference :) Not much interest in a full video-cam yet, so prosumer is still the most suitable for my needs

greenieadi said:
Bro Dunnomuch, thks for sharing. Not to hijack bro chee_keon thread but u try explaining that to ppl on the street when asking them to take pic of you and girlfren using your dSLR. You'll get a blank face I guess.

I just saw pic of what my FZ5 did and compare that to my dSLR at 400mm, same scenery. Then chance to read this thread, still feeling a bit blue. I bet you won't regret getting the FZ30.

Anyway why ppl compare PnS and dSLR, I dunno. I'm already on the "dark side", anyway. Sorry if I anger any dSLR owner with my honesty.

chee_keon - imagine this june going for a holiday trip with all my gears. Just last wkend purposely carry all my gears around while my wife go shopping for 2 hrs. Ouch, shoulders hurts. No choice still need to bring to cover all the focal lengths. Sure jealous if see someone there with only the FZ30. He..he.....he....

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Don't worry about angering anyone. what you said is not offensive at all. :) The point of discussion is to share differing opinions, and of course when something false is said then yeah, maybe someone will set the record straight. Since we're all sharing opinions the more the merrier.

I was once taking pictures at a function and this girl came up to me to compare pics when i was chimping. She had a ixus 700 or 750, which was a 7MP pns i believe, and she looked at my picture on the LCD and said "wah.. not bad..mine also got 7MP". I didn't bother explaining the differences and why I managed to get background details and her shot had harsh flash lighting and a dark background. I just smiled and said thanks..

There's a kind of camera for almost everyone from a pns, to a prosumer compact, to a entry level DSLR, to a prosumer DSLR, to a pro body DSLR, SLR or whatever. I went from a prosumer PnS to a DSLR and i still have my old Prosumer compact for less important shots. for my family outings i often lug everything along. If someone assumes that i am in pain, he is probably right. If he assumes that i would be better off with a FZ5, FZ30 or similar prosumer camera, then he is also entitled to what he wants to believe.

Frankly i've lost count of the number of times that i've brought my gear out and brought it home without ever taking it out to shoot something. Do i think it's a waste of time? No, because when i do take it out and when i do capture the shots that makes my family smile, it's all worth it. a few days later the pain of lugging the equipment is gone, but if i capture that one photo from that day that can always bring me back to the time when my daughter laughed that way, or some moment was captured, even 10 years later that photo will likely be around, and i doubt if i can remember at that time what i carried on that day i took the photo.

So the bottom line to me is, How much do you value your memories? If your shots are macro or landscape, or walkabout shots, fireworks, disco parties etc. then a compact is fine. If you're taking pictures of your family that you may want to show at a birthday 10-15 years from now, then it would be a good idea to think about something better. I won't bother explaining this to the average joe on the street. As long as i know why I want a DSLR, i don't need to have everyone i know agree with my reasons for buying one.

chee_keon said:
actually, i’m almost there to buy.. but is there any other models you guys could recommend me..?
Don't confuse yourself further, since you've already reached there, just buy it.

The more you ponder yonder, everything that was once bright and clear will become dark and cloudy already.

Dunnomuch said:
Don't worry about angering anyone. what you said is not offensive at all. :) The point of discussion is to share differing opinions, and of course when something false is said then yeah, maybe someone will set the record straight. Since we're all sharing opinions the more the merrier.

I was once taking pictures at a function and this girl came up to me to compare pics when i was chimping. She had a ixus 700 or 750, which was a 7MP pns i believe, and she looked at my picture on the LCD and said "wah.. not bad..mine also got 7MP". I didn't bother explaining the differences and why I managed to get background details and her shot had harsh flash lighting and a dark background. I just smiled and said thanks..

There's a kind of camera for almost everyone from a pns, to a prosumer compact, to a entry level DSLR, to a prosumer DSLR, to a pro body DSLR, SLR or whatever. I went from a prosumer PnS to a DSLR and i still have my old Prosumer compact for less important shots. for my family outings i often lug everything along. If someone assumes that i am in pain, he is probably right. If he assumes that i would be better off with a FZ5, FZ30 or similar prosumer camera, then he is also entitled to what he wants to believe.

Frankly i've lost count of the number of times that i've brought my gear out and brought it home without ever taking it out to shoot something. Do i think it's a waste of time? No, because when i do take it out and when i do capture the shots that makes my family smile, it's all worth it. a few days later the pain of lugging the equipment is gone, but if i capture that one photo from that day that can always bring me back to the time when my daughter laughed that way, or some moment was captured, even 10 years later that photo will likely be around, and i doubt if i can remember at that time what i carried on that day i took the photo.

So the bottom line to me is, How much do you value your memories? If your shots are macro or landscape, or walkabout shots, fireworks, disco parties etc. then a compact is fine. If you're taking pictures of your family that you may want to show at a birthday 10-15 years from now, then it would be a good idea to think about something better. I won't bother explaining this to the average joe on the street. As long as i know why I want a DSLR, i don't need to have everyone i know agree with my reasons for buying one.

actually if you ain't sure if you will need the cam, best is to just bring ur dSLR + a "do-all" lens like 18-200. might not be able to get the best result, but it sure save you from lots of pain. :sweatsm:

espn said:
Don't confuse yourself further, since you've already reached there, just buy it.

The more you ponder yonder, everything that was once bright and clear will become dark and cloudy already.

yes espn, i’ve decided to go for prosumer n will not for dslr this time.. so, i’m giving myself 1 month to see if there’s any other better performance prosumer (below 1k).. therefore, i’m here asking for recommendation..

meanwhile, i'm browsing internet for cam review hard.. next to dmc-fz30, coolpix 8800 (maybe 2nd hand, below 1k), sony f828 (maybe 2nd hand, below 1k), c-8080 zoom, powershot pro1, & dmc-fz7 r also came to my consideration.. ;)

you might wanna consider the finepix e900 from fujifilm. a very affordable px and yet delivers above-average PQ for a steal at $399 at one of the popular shops in AMK. :)

chee_keon said:
yes espn, i’ve decided to go for prosumer n will not for dslr this time.. so, i’m giving myself 1 month to see if there’s any other better performance prosumer (below 1k).. therefore, i’m here asking for recommendation..

meanwhile, i'm browsing internet for cam review hard.. next to dmc-fz30, coolpix 8800 (maybe 2nd hand, below 1k), sony f828 (maybe 2nd hand, below 1k), c-8080 zoom, powershot pro1, & dmc-fz7 r also came to my consideration.. ;)

Dan, greenieadi, sORe-EyEz, Hexlord, michhy, Dunnomuch, genegoh, user12343, kentay, metallilan, zcwnfx, Nikonnew, espn, ExplorerZ,

thanks for the comments..!!!

finally, i go for fz30. it’s 2nd hand (however, likes a brand new).. good buy from a nice seller.. prefect full package comes with an additional batt, 512 sd, suntax 328dtz, n bag.. hahaa.. :D

playing with it now.. indeed, i like it veri much.. :heart: :heart: :heart:

btw, wad’s the next necessary accessories that i should buy..?
must i buy a uv filter..? is the uv filter only for lens protection..?
would appreciate if someone can teach me to do a diy dry cabinet too.. thank u..!

u r most welcome! :)

yap, i think u should get a UV filter 2 protect d lense asap. its cheaper & easier 2 replace a filter than sending d whole cam 4 servicing if d front element is scratched.

its up 2 u 2 choose between coated /non coated filters
- coated filters costs more but reduce ghosting in pics,
- there oso single or multi coated filters.

dun b in a hurry 2 buy a cam bag 1st. from my exp, i've bought & sold my prev bag due 2 bad judgement (items get $$ depreciated)... :( play w/ ur cam longer gives u a gd gauge wad u may like 2 buy in coming months.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.