Bed Bugs at Harris Hotel Batam Centre

Oh here we go again, another one who says that a person, who posts something disagreeable with their opinion of anything, works for that organization. As if only Harris Batam employees would disagree with you. :rolleyes:

I didn't accuse you of working for Harris Batam's competitors, did I? So stop with the silly conspiracy theories, I doubt Harris Batam will have people snooping online to ensure that their Internet street cred is stellar. :rolleyes:

I've never encountered bed bugs before, just trying to find out more so that I can recognise the problem when I encounter it. Merely sharing some of the stuff I've read online (which I stated very clearly as that, not my own opinion). :dunno:

If you google "Bed bugs", you'd probably come across quite a number of articles echoing this article (just posted)'s views: http://finchannel.com/news_flash/Tr...urged_not_to_sweep_bed_bugs_under_the_carpet/

Disagree is ok, but it is rather insensitively to miggle into someone's plight and start questioning the obvious.
You will understand the frustration one day (hopefully not) when you get hit.
Anyway, PEACE.

Ahh, bed bugs during holidays and a nonchalant hotel management... one of the many difficulties and hardships in life.

Meanwhile in Africa...

I stayed at Harris Hotel Batam centre recently and was bitten by bed bugs.
Managed to kill a few bugs. The freshly bitten blood actually spilled on the bedsheet and on the ledge which I placed them on.
The duty manager at Harris hotel was shown the condition in the room.

The itch was horrible and lasted for days.
My belongings were damaged when I try to de-pest my stuff with hot water.

Hotel refuse to take responsibility. Any suggestion on what I can do?

Carefuly to bring home those pest are hard to kill.. I heard CO2 would be the best way to kill them like thos fire extinguisher. Best if you're back home to call pest control and ask them to check your house for bed bugs. They could easily multiple within weeks.

The itch was horrible and lasted for days...........

CDC - EHS - Bed Bugs CDC-EPA Joint Statement
"Many people have mild to severe allergic reaction to the bites with effects ranging from no reaction to a small bite mark to, in rare cases, anaphylaxis (severe, whole-body reaction) (2). These bites (Photo 2) can also lead to secondary infections of the skin such as impetigo, ecthyma, and lymphanigitis"

The hotel is afraid to admit responsibility because:
• Potential law suit
• Once the news is out on the Internet, very few tourists want to stay at the hotel and their hotel business dies.

When Bed Bugs Check In, Guests Check Out!
In the 2003 landmark case (Matthias v. Accor Economy Lodging), Toronto siblings received a jury award of $382,000 against Motel 6 after sharing a room with bed bugs.

In 2006, a Chicago couple sued a Catskills resort for $20 million, claiming more than 500 bed bug bites left them physically and mentally scarred.

In future, hotel will ask their bed-bug tester to sleep on bed in front of customer for half an hour before handover the bed to them

I stayed at Harris Hotel Batam centre recently and was bitten by bed bugs.
Managed to kill a few bugs. The freshly bitten blood actually spilled on the bedsheet and on the ledge which I placed them on.
The duty manager at Harris hotel was shown the condition in the room.

The itch was horrible and lasted for days.
My belongings were damaged when I try to de-pest my stuff with hot water.

I read your complaint on tripadvisor, you actually went back to meet the manager and wanted the hotel to sponsor half of your thailand trip? wow

I just came back from a 2-night stay in this hotel, no bed-bugs, plenty of Singaporeans.

I think you were unlucky, maybe the bedbugs were from the previous guest in your room.

Half the vacation cost to Thailand – Is this amount so substantial that I deserve such an accusation from him?

I read your complaint on tripadvisor, you actually went back to meet the manager and wanted the hotel to sponsor half of your thailand trip? wow

That is quite vague. Too open ended. It is not a sensible demand.

No statement of:
• number of days stay.
• economy or business class or first class air tickets.
• for one person or whole family.
• no indication of class of hotel and room.
• no indication of other related travel costs like travel insurance, airport transfer, booked limousines throughout travel period.
• no indication of travel related costs like fancy fine dining meals, night club entertainment costs, spending money, shopping expenses, etc...

Everyone knows that Thailand caters to a huge range of travel budgets.

What if the claimant chose to fly first class SIA and stay at Presidential Suite at the most expensive Bangkok hotel for 1 month, with daily transport around town in hotel's Rolls Royce and bought luxury watches?

Last edited:

I just came back from a 2-night stay in this hotel, no bed-bugs, plenty of Singaporeans.

I think you were unlucky, maybe the bedbugs were from the previous guest in your room.

Guys, Batam is not in Thailand?

Oh, I see it now.

Bed Bugs, Irresponsible & Hypocrete management - Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center, Batam, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

I am calling out to all in distress!
I stayed at Harris Hotel Batam Centre Indonesia on 28Nov12 and the room’s bed was infested with bed bugs.
I was feeling itchy whole night and did not get any sleep at all. Initially, I thought I was just sensitive to the bed-sheet. But at 5am in the morning, the itch becomes very bad. I woke up and found a few bed bugs on the bed.
Kill some of the bugs and the freshly-bitten blood actually spilled all over the bed-sheet. I placed the bugs on the ledge in the hotel room. Do see my attached photo. I was bitten all over with swell on the neck, back and hands. The duty manager was informed and he witnessed the bed bug as well as the swollen bites. Checked out and paid for the room at 7am.
When I reached home, I poured piping hot water over my clothes and bag. In the process, my pants and victorinox bag were both damaged by the intensive heat. I have got no choice because this is the only way to get rid of bed bugs just in case a few crawled into my belongings and followed me back home.
The next day, Harris hotel Front office manager wrote to me and offered ONE NIGHT STAY at their hotel again. Will you stay in a hotel with bed-bugs again? I was furious and questioned whether they were “taking me for a ride”. Next, the Operations manager wrote to me and offered me a refund plus medical reimbursement. This is humiliating – Why would I need the hotel room refund and medical reimbursement? Am I so cheap to them? I rejected outright and offered the manager to stay in the same infested room for a night while I pay for his medical instead. I was furious with how the hotel treats their guests and try to brush off responsibility, so I informed them that I want a satisfactory response and will not hesitate to share my bad experience and the photos.
The general manager of Harris Batam Centre was then alerted and he called me immediately (sounding apologetic) to arrange for a meeting on 4Dec2012. My impression was that the hotel’s GM is finally taking it seriously, so I thought I should give them a chance to listen out what they have got to say.
During the meet-up, he informed me a long story of how he and his staff have worked to contain the infestation problem. He kept repeating that he felt responsible and offered that I can approach him anytime if there is anything he can do.
On the following day (5Dec12), I decided to move on, get out of the agony/ torment and go on a short vacation to ease up. So I counter-proposed to the general manager of Harris whether he can help fund half of my short vacation to Thailand, since he had offered "do something for me" in the first place.
On 8Dec2012, the general manager replied. To my shock, instead of just saying "no" and explain that my proposal is beyond his jurisdiction/ mean, he falsely maligned me of threatening him and holding him hostage to this incident. How absurd can it be? This is a simple request which he offered to “do something for me”. Half the vacation cost to Thailand – Is this amount so substantial that I deserve such an accusation from him? I have foregone my damaged Victorinox bag and pants due to de-pesting. I have suffered days of intensive itch. Instead of treating me as a customer who is a victim of their hotel’s bed bug infestation, he changed his stance and accused me.
He threatened me that he will engaged “professional help” and that with all the corresponding email between me and him, he will take actions against me if I were to post the photos of the bugs, swollen bites and about my bad experience with Harris Hotel on any website.
At this point, I realised that it is either I misread the general manager’s intention, or the meet-up was just pure hypocrisy. The hotel is in no way apologetic about the bed-bug incident.
Triple wham! After the torment & agony being bitten by bed bugs at Harris hotel, damage to my belongings, I got “slapped” right on the face with accusation by them.
This is about a hotel that failed badly in its cleanliness, does not feel apologetic and yet threaten its customers. A simple question is: What have they done for me (their paying customer) who was a victim for their hotel’s bedbug infestation? Nothing. Plain allegation.

I now understand why a trip to Batam ends up having something to do with a trip to Thailand. :sweat:

Oh, I see it now.

Bed Bugs, Irresponsible & Hypocrete management - Review of Harris Hotel Batam Center, Batam, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

I now understand why a trip to Batam ends up having something to do with a trip to Thailand. :sweat:

After reading the post in trip advisor, TS like demand too much... Thought they agree to refund TS hotel room and medical reimbursement, then don't want to accept, but want to fund half of the trip to Thailand... The latter worth significant more perhaps?

About the bag and pants... why pour piping hot water at first, not the hotel people recommend it right, warm water should do the job already. Before pouring the hot water, should know the bag cannot take so high heat right? Might as well burn it for 100% bed bug proof, then claim laptop dslr also damaged.

When t.s wrote in what was on your mindset. To complain and highlight to them or to demand for more unreasonable stuffs like your Thailand trip. The hotel management had already compensate you with a full refund plus medical reimbursement which means ur stay at the hotel is free and your medical fees compensated. He did promise to do something for you but he did not promise to sponsor half of your Thailand trip. you raise this and got a shock because u think that he would agree to any request from t.s. might as well as for sponsor to USA since he would do something. They had agree to meet you and offer you compensation it shows their sincerity to u. please be reasonable too. Put yourself in their shoes what would you think.

When t.s wrote in what was on your mindset. To complain and highlight to them or to demand for more unreasonable stuffs like your Thailand trip. The hotel management had already compensate you with a full refund plus medical reimbursement which means ur stay at the hotel is free and your medical fees compensated. He did promise to do something for you but he did not promise to sponsor half of your Thailand trip. you raise this and got a shock because u think that he would agree to any request from t.s. might as well as for sponsor to USA since he would do something. They had agree to meet you and offer you compensation it shows their sincerity to u. please be reasonable too. Put yourself in their shoes what would you think.

Singaporean do not have a good name...... thanks to black sheeps......... :nono:

Another kum gong Singaporean, took mini-bar beverages but claimed no money to pay. Wrote a 1,074 words essay and post it only 9 months later.

Disagree is ok, but it is rather insensitively to miggle into someone's plight and start questioning the obvious.
You will understand the frustration one day (hopefully not) when you get hit.
Anyway, PEACE.

Asking for the hotel to pay half your Thai trip is going overboard.

Come on, get real. The compensation should stay within the boundaries of the case, example medical expenses, damaged bags or clothes, same hotel vouchers. It should not be paying for your other trips and leisure.

You think about it, what if your Thai trip turns out to be unsatisfactory? What are you going to do? Ask the batam hotel to pay for another trip?

I support the hotel for not agreeing to your silly demand. If you sincerely wants compensation, you won't think of asking them to pay for your Thai trip.

Anyway, bed bugs are common if you travel overseas. No need to kick a fuss.

If you go for your Thai trip, you might get them there too. What makes you think they are no bed bugs there?