Becoming a Model: TFCD or NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well definitely... some of those 'pro-studios' have alreadi been quite listed in the eyes of budding models... heard alot and alot of em liaos.

just too bad that some aspiring photographers have also spoilt the market. that the reason for a double check on both ends.

for those in doubt... i do ask the models without proper portfolio to actually even seek external parties to do their own portfolio up as i may not even have time to shoot all the girls presented in front of me.

well there are also good TFCD photographers and other commercial studios out dere.

just gotta check it out and find the right choices bro...

well definitely... some of those 'pro-studios' have alreadi been quite listed in the eyes of budding models... heard alot and alot of em liaos.

just too bad that some aspiring photographers have also spoilt the market. that the reason for a double check on both ends.

for those in doubt... i do ask the models without proper portfolio to actually even seek external parties to do their own portfolio up as i may not even have time to shoot all the girls presented in front of me.

well there are also good TFCD photographers and other commercial studios out dere.

again you're deflecting the issue here.

theres no deflecting the issue... when the issue was brought up its a straight forward tingy to ask pple who haf met dis prob to know how to solve em...

many pple here juz read and learn... theres no warring involve bro

maybe i should also create another thread to be flaked at :think:

The life of a photographer being 'TUA' by models on TFCD or paid assignments :sweatsm:

theres no deflecting the issue... when the issue was brought up its a straight forward tingy to ask pple who haf met dis prob to know how to solve em...

The life of a photographer being 'TUA' by models on TFCD or paid assignments :sweatsm:

no the issue now is your credibility as well as pointing fingers saying that people's integrity is suspect. If you really want to protect models then why won't you name names on who they shouldn't tfcd with? Nothing to do with warring just calling on your to come out straight to the point because no one is buying what you have to say here anymore.

Actually I think your next thread would be better called"

"The life of a model who got TUA-ed by professional/full time photographers promising high quality portfolios for cash - some losing not only money but more".

But I suspect with the (still hidden?) agenda presented in this thread to date, you won't be doing that thread anytime soon.

"The life of a model who got TUA-ed by professional/full time photographers promising high quality portfolios for cash - some losing not only money but more".

But I suspect with the (still hidden?) agenda presented in this thread to date, you won't be doing that thread anytime soon.

Indeed...

This is the biggest crock of shameless self promotion I have ever heard, well, at least the worst in the last couple of years. The TS slammed everyone here who shoots TFCD or test shoot, and promote himself shamelessly asking for aspiring models to instead pay him hard earned money to shoot for their book. Yet, till today, TS has not shown us why he, the paid solution, is better the the free solution.

I am not doubting TS is not blowing smoke, and that he is a good photographer that is worth the model paying him hard currency to shoot their portfolio, but my confidence is not likely shared by others. Put up or shut up if you are looking to take money away from the models for their portfolio.

Todate, we have no idea what TS had ever shot. Has anyone seen anything created by the TS?

There are many ways to build a book. Paying TS is but one of many ways to do it. Oh btw, how much are you charging.

Recently I came across a number of new 'models' who had done TFCDs with photographers. My disappointment to many a photo which they have shown me. The photos are very nice in the view of a photographer to extend of some even can try for contest. But what of that as a model 'selling' your services to them for free?

What you may get is a bunch of low resolution watermarked artistic junk... :nono:

The photographer's aim of the shoot is to grab hold of some pics which they are able to show off to and not to concentrate and show off the best of a model. To top it off, they are of such low resolution that you cant use it as comcards or representation materials as they are also watermarked. :think:

So whats the best bet? Go pay for a creditable professional (hopefully as a pageant photographer in the past or a fashion photographer). Just remember that every hour you spent doing your TFCD can also be converted into cold hard cash instead of wasting your time. :thumbsup:
Frankly, this is obviously a bad pour-over for all those photographers who have done shoots for people (obviously newcomers), whether it is TFCD or with small payments.

On the other hand, it is obvious that you are (Go pay for a creditable professional (hopefully as a pageant photographer in the past or a fashion photographer) advertising yourself to death your services as well as putting yourself up heaven and the rest of us beings only the mortals...:sweat:

Least you forget, those said "low-res" photographers form an important bridge for those newcomers to cross over to the professional world of modeling. Thru them, the so-called potential models learn the basic facts and steps and in my opinion, many of the current successful models (who are also in your site, and who obviously were not trained by you) should be very thankful for those early experiences with photographers, including the low-res shooters, pro or non-pro, good, bad or the ugly, etc... and many of girls have actually given up when they realise that either they are not up to mark or that the career is not theirs.

Just imagine, is it generally possible for new "models", who has totally no experience or exposure to actually go to a creditable professional (hopefully as a pageant photographer in the past or a fashion photographer and start to convert into cold hard cash instead of wasting their time learning the very basic? Like they said, your statements only pien gin na only.

You have wrongly given the impression to many young girls here to believe that the compcard (and with any high-res images) is the ultimate key to a successful career in modeling. My friend, the compcard is only a business card and nothing more .... you can design it well but the ultimate test is still the model herself .... she just has to start somewhere, and learn the hard way to compete with the best.

Bravo, Hear Hear!!!

As I've said, it is common to hear models being persuaded to part with their $$ and others more in the hands of cash collecting photographers and agencies.

Yea right thats their namecard and a first impression that also helps. With a lousy batch of photos, low res photos to present to a client on a projector, what would you see? pixels my dear friend... and extremely 'sharp' images.

Well to those who are so die hard fighting their causes thru... hope you are not one of those UN-pro TFCD photographers. :bsmilie: wahahaha

So tell us all if you wanna fight so hard... did you do TFCD? if yes, did you gif the models low-res images?

And hear this... I am not paid the number of people who I gotta take portfolio for. But for the very fact that I am more with the training and editorial team...

To that i will... :) tks for the new topic.

Be humble, my friend, be humble ......:think:

Be humble, my friend, be humble ......:think:

tks for the reminder bro :) will keep that in mind... no one wanna start a war... but i see a warrior in many other thread : LOLS :

Hey Michael,

Just sharing some pointers after seeing what you have posted.

* Amateur/Semi-pro/Professional
We have to accept that a lot of things are not perfect. Models/talents do free TFCDs and end up with bad pictures. Models/talents who paid for professional pictures and still end up with bad pictures. Although your intention was good initially, there is no need to differentiate between pro/un- pro/ amateur photographers. Its the same for models when you thank us for recommending girls for your editorial casting as amateur/semi-pro/pro girls. There is really no need to differentiate people into such categories. In my opinion, as long as the photographer/models is engaged to perform a duty/job and delivers, his/her job is basically completed. Personally, I dont even shoot professionally(retired) nowadays and I cant even depend on my past experiences to tackle some of the professional jobs nowadays due to so many changes in software, hardware, team structure and client requirements. There is a need to continuously challenge oneself, embrace new techniques, hardware, software, workflows, color management, printing etc...there is just so many things for us to learn and continue our passion in photography, no matter whether we are a amateur, semi-pro or professional.

* Editorial contributions
My initial intention for asking you to accept contribution here wasnt a exercise to get free photos from fellow snappers here. It was more for a long term relationship resulting in a win-win situation for many talented amateurs here who doesnt have the platform to go the next level or challenge themselves to improve by trying for editorial features. When I first started out, I was asked to do free editorial jobs but I learnt a lot through the experience working with Editors/art directors, makeup/hair, fashion stylists, graphic artists, lighting crew and even models and demanding clients. However, as time progresses, the relationship grew and the magazines returned the favour by passing Advertorials and even commercial jobs. By working closely with a magazine, we got to shoot for many brands and build up our experience base that eventually challenged ourselves to venture overseas.

I hope you can do the same and benefit many young and budding photographers in Clubsnap here. We must change some of the mindset and current situation our beloved Clubsnap is facing. We cant be doing free or low paying jobs all the time. It has very severe impact on th e photographic/ modeling /allied industries such as makeup/hair/fashion styling as well. If the free job is once or twice for touching base follow by a win-win commercial partnership, no one will ever say who is always doing free/low paying jobs.

I can help give you some pointers or even art direct your first two editorial shoots with any photographers/makeup/hair/stylist/graphic/models you assembled from Clubsnap to kick start your new revamped issue of the magazine should you require my assistance. However, do take care of their welfare and try to get them some commercial/paying jobs when everyone can deliver

Cheers and have a nice weekend,
Tuck

Well quite true to the above, why not let me sum things up...

Whether be it amateur, semi-pro or pros i think that we have to at least be able to live a more conscience free life. Do the bare minimum and ensure the success rate or at least the returns are good and becoming a win-win situation.
eg 1, an experience pro bought a new lens and wanna try out on a TFCD. This is good idea.
eg 2, an amateur who have read or attended courses or even went on group shoots, and wanna try to do some TFCD to improve the skills or learn more from individual self xp. This is an excellent thing.

so wadz the prob? the underlying reason is the low-res photos. I din mention low-quality shots taken. in fact some shots i seen before are superbly taken and are TFCDs.

And about contributors or models attending castings, its always good to have fellow frenz support. in fact for contributors, its not the minor $100-300 of supplying the photo. But how about showcasing it and sharing to the world? ie a model who does an editorial for free.

the purpose is? to allow self upgrading, increase in reputation, and ultimately may or may not earn more big bucks... dats simple ABC

Lets look at all this in a constructive manner. There will be black sheeps or anything else out there who needs other's reminder in any manner not to stray off-course.

FYI: during my previous castings, some good models are also offered free portfolio by the company... not TFCD.

Free portfolio sounds the same as TFCD - both don't involve money, although one ostensibly sounds like a sponsorship, but sometimes may be something else. Not saying your company, but there are many such stories which I've heared and had to help bail out at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.