BCA green mark buildings

Wow, I am quite sure the judges love HDR photography.

I'm sure the judges don't have any idea about Photography and did not even bother to read the rules ... lol

Good jod to the winners, they anticipated that the judges don't have any idea about the contest and they got it.

Same here, I spent my time just to go those places I have been before so many times just for the sake of this contest but in the end, the very simple rules was not followed properly. Maybe the organizer failed to select the appropriate judges?

Better luck next time guys ... hehe ... very funny contest

If you enter a competition without any expectations to begin with, you would be a happier person. Winning it is a bonus. If you think you can compete at a higher level, then there's always other bona fide photography competitions to look forward to. IPA comes to mind.....

I think there is no need for u to clarify any further. You are just a clone....
No one will agree with you as you are talking non·sense.
Lol... Even a blind can sense that.
Are u with the organisation or are you one of the judge...Lol

Cheers

back up ur statements. if there is one thing i cannot stand, its baseless allegations.
prove that he is a clone, that what he says is illogical, and that he is with the organisation/judge.

photography is subjective. if the judges decide that XXX should win, stop whining and just let it go.

what makes ur opinion on what is a good photo, much better than their opinions?

edutilos merely stated that we should move on, accept the judges decision. he did not say that he liked nor disliked the photos, or whether they are good or not.

if u join a competition, u abide by their rules, abide by their decisions.

place urself in the shoes of the winners. if u are the one who won the shot, i'm pretty sure u are gonna say the judges are good. but remember that there will be another couple of 100 people who didnt make it in who will act like how u are acting now. how would you feel?

with regards to the HDR, he put it nicely already.

I think rules are rules, and this talk about "Oh if I knew the interpretation of the rules was such and such" is a little confusing to me. In the first place, submission to this particular contest was not into a black box. Accepted entries were displayed in a gallery. I think for this case, there was more than sufficient room to clarify the rules with the organizers during the duration of the contest. I had seen such photos submitted early, and that gave some hint at the definition of "basic adjustments". Are you telling me that all of the participants crying foul here and on the BCA Green Shots FB page did not check the galleries, and did not spot these HDR photos? I can't see why no clarification could be made when these photographs appeared in the gallery in the Green Shots website.

either way i'm pretty sure he isnt a clone. for one, his account is in 2010, and there are 1.5k postcounts. doubt anyone would prepare a clone account for this.

Last edited:
edutilos- said:
I think you have to take the rule set in its entirety. This "basic adjustments" thing is indeed, as many people point out, debateable. Is HDR a basic adjustment? Does it distort reality? I do not know, I was not there when said photographers took their pictures, and I agree that many of the photographs look unnatural. That said, I would like to point out the one additional rule that is always there, which is very clearly defined:

I think rules are rules, and this talk about "Oh if I knew the interpretation of the rules was such and such" is a little confusing to me. In the first place, submission to this particular contest was not into a black box. Accepted entries were displayed in a gallery. I think for this case, there was more than sufficient room to clarify the rules with the organizers during the duration of the contest. I had seen such photos submitted early, and that gave some hint at the definition of "basic adjustments". Are you telling me that all of the participants crying foul here and on the BCA Green Shots FB page did not check the galleries, and did not spot these HDR photos? I can't see why no clarification could be made when these photographs appeared in the gallery in the Green Shots website.

This is where I'm coming from. On a separate note, I have never expected people to agree with me. This is my stand, it is not some popularity contest where if 5 people agree with me while 2 people disagree my life will be much improved in a mystical way.

Naturally, this stand might change if someone had indeed clarified with the organisers as to their definition of "basic adjustments" and it had been specifically carved out what these were (e.g. an explicit reply such as "HDR processing is disallowed"). Vague examples, frankly, do not give a clear picture.

Anyways, I've said my piece, I think there is no need to clarify any further. Cheers.

Have to agree on some parts of your presentation.
If the gates has been open to all regarding what is permissible and what is not early in the competition in the form of a gallery, we can't really fault the organizer if we don't iron out the issue ourselves and expect it to magically solve by itself.
I blame myself for not looking into the gallery for guidelines, of course I also blame myself for not submitting anything because I forgot when is the deadline.

most probably the case, maybe those judges, not a single of them are photographers themselves, else its either they dunno about the regulation or they are dumb enough.

say hi to BCA

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

We will be announcing the winners at the upcoming Green Building Exhibition at VivoCity (starting tomorrow). To answer some of your queries, the judging panel for Green Shots consisted of members from various institutions, including the Photographic Society of Singapore, academics as well as management from the Building and Construction Authority. The decision process was exclusive and independent from the organising team of the competition. We appreciate nonetheless the feedback from all the participants of this competition.

i didnt like the followup from them. it seems like an argument from authority. just because someone is supposedly from XXX society, doesnt mean that he is necessarily right with regards to judging works.

photography is subjective. it would had served them better if they just kept mum and didnt crave in to pressure to justify with supposed authorities.

Last edited:
say hi to BCA

i didnt like the followup from them. it seems like an argument from authority. just because someone is supposedly from XXX society, doesnt mean that he is necessarily right with regards to judging works.

photography is subjective. it would had served them better if they just kept mum and didnt crave in to pressure to justify with supposed authorities.

Perhaps the old school society of SINGAPORE, forgot to calibrate their monitor. Dont they always ask for a printout to judge all the time? In this digital age, still ask for prints!! :bsmilie::bsmilie::

Maybe trying to be green friendly with BCA, they decided to make away with it this time.
And I :heart: this comment. Extracted from FB:... green building that does not even need any sort of light bulbs and LED light as light source as it will glow by itself giving off lights for the people using the building....

To the winners (radiocative winners), good for you, must be laughing all the way to the bank. To the organisers, kudos for getting tonnes of photos from the photographers. To the rest, I don't know what to say....

Quote from your dearie one: "Lets Move ON!!" :bsmilie::bsmilie:

back up ur statements. if there is one thing i cannot stand, its baseless allegations.
prove that he is a clone, that what he says is illogical, and that he is with the organisation/judge.

photography is subjective. if the judges decide that XXX should win, stop whining and just let it go.

what makes ur opinion on what is a good photo, much better than their opinions?

edutilos merely stated that we should move on, accept the judges decision. he did not say that he liked nor disliked the photos, or whether they are good or not.

if u join a competition, u abide by their rules, abide by their decisions.

place urself in the shoes of the winners. if u are the one who won the shot, i'm pretty sure u are gonna say the judges are good. but remember that there will be another couple of 100 people who didnt make it in who will act like how u are acting now. how would you feel?

with regards to the HDR, he put it nicely already.

either way i'm pretty sure he isnt a clone. for one, his account is in 2010, and there are 1.5k postcounts. doubt anyone would prepare a clone account for this.

What i mean is not important about clone...I am disgust about what the person say.
Even blind can sense that.
I am disappointed you are also blind, after seeing all your solid work.. Now i feel it is sucks.....NOW...
Even i win, I will also give up... lol..
Thanks for your opinion... u sound like a clone also... those not meant you exist now...lol...
Cheers

What i mean is not important about clone...I am disgust about what the person say.
Even blind can sense that.
I am disappointed you are also blind, after seeing all your solid work.. Now i feel it is sucks.....NOW...
Even i win, I will also give up... lol..
Thanks for your opinion... u sound like a clone also... those not meant you exist now...lol...
Cheers

did i say i liked the works submitted? no.
does my opinion matter? no.

because i'm not the judge. but if I decided that i joined a competition, i would respect the judge's decision and move on afterwards. congratulate the winner and respect sportsmanship.

i'm glad now u said my works sucks.

1: i dun need a person like u trying to appreciate them tyvm.

2: another unjustified comment with regards to the clone part.

sorry but i'm not those ppl who live on other ppl's "hey nice photos!". neither am i running for an election and need ur votes.

Last edited:
I think you have to take the rule set in its entirety. This "basic adjustments" thing is indeed, as many people point out, debateable. Is HDR a basic adjustment? Does it distort reality? I do not know, I was not there when said photographers took their pictures, and I agree that many of the photographs look unnatural. That said, I would like to point out the one additional rule that is always there, which is very clearly defined:

This is where I'm coming from. On a separate note, I have never expected people to agree with me. This is my stand, it is not some popularity contest where if 5 people agree with me while 2 people disagree my life will be much improved in a mystical way.

Naturally, this stand might change if someone had indeed clarified with the organisers as to their definition of "basic adjustments" and it had been specifically carved out what these were (e.g. an explicit reply such as "HDR processing is disallowed"). Vague examples, frankly, do not give a clear picture.

Anyways, I've said my piece, I think there is no need to clarify any further. Cheers.

before we move on, let me have a chance to reply : )

thank you for your reply . this is better contribution and constructive to a forum rather than just said "sportmanship" or "do your own competition and be the judge yourself" that kind of arguement : )

as you have mentioned HDR whether it distort reality, and you said you dont know.....think again, is that what the photograher saw when he took that picture, or can you see that kind of colour ? i for sure cant : )

we all know "Rules are rules", but if you think someone is not following some of the rules, will you voice out your concern? Some of the CSers just voiced out their concerns, thats all : )

me and some of kakis did notice some of the photos are HDR /IR etc, but we trusted the organiser will do a final selection (assumption proved wrong ) , our fault. : )

ah, regarding the "popularity contest", i only suggest to see whether your "sportsmanship" comment are acceptable by majority ... please dont reply " who cares what other thinks" : )

did i say i liked the works submitted? no.
does my opinion matter? no.

because i'm not the judge. but if I decided that i joined a competition, i would respect the judge's decision and move on afterwards. congratulate the winner and respect sportsmanship.

i'm glad now u said my works sucks.

1: i dun need a person like u trying to appreciate them tyvm.

2: another unjustified comment with regards to the clone part.

sorry but i'm not those ppl who live on other ppl's "hey nice photos!". neither am i running for an election and need ur votes.[/QUO

Even I need to vote, wont vote u also... Lol..

To all.. This is what i get

You have received an infraction at ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Dear Roadrunner86,

You have received an infraction at ClubSNAP Photography Forums.

Reason: Minor Guideline Violation
-------
Flaming without facts
-------

This infraction is worth 5 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Is there freedom in this forum?? or there is also dark side inside this Forum

BEWARE...... Lol...

The judging panel is fail :bsmilie:

Anyway, even if one desires validation for their work and skill, accolades are not always the holy grail we should be gunning for.

Practically, they are used as chips to charge premium if they earn from photography. These achievements under their belt don't make them infallible either, they produce crap once in a while too. :bsmilie:

Nice shots don't necessarily win you any competition whatsoever.

If you earn from photography, serve your clients.

If you are a serious hobbyist, you are your best judge; on your works as well as on others' too.

The judging panel is fail :bsmilie:

Anyway, even if one desires validation for their work and skill, accolades are not always the holy grail we should be gunning for.

Practically, they are used as chips to charge premium if they earn from photography. These achievements under their belt don't make them infallible either, they produce crap once in a while too. :bsmilie:

Nice shots don't necessarily win you any competition whatsoever.

If you earn from photography, serve your clients.

If you are a serious hobbyist, you are your best judge; on your works as well as on others' too.

Hi
Like your Words...

Cheers
Beware
Dear Roadrunner86,

You have received an infraction at ClubSNAP Photography Forums.

Reason: Minor Guideline Violation
-------
Flaming without facts
-------

This infraction is worth 5 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

"Is there freedom in this forum?? or there is also dark side inside this Forum"

Cheers to Freedom

Yes.. the winner deserved to win. For those who read the rules and complied, kudos to all of you. At least we were true to ourselves and our works.

Agreed, time to close thread. Not sure if TS is be coming back.

I agree that for competition, photo must be original without PP unless specifically for that purpose.

The theme is Green Building, I am expecting to see something more innovative about the building on Green. Somehow, the glass and concrete blocks are considered Green. It is a bit disappointing.

There are recycled concrete and low-e glass panels which can be used in sustainable architecture. Further, green mark certified buildings are not assessed based on material usage alone.

There are recycled concrete and low-e glass panels which can be used in sustainable architecture. Further, green mark certified buildings are not assessed based on material usage alone.
Material, energy and resources usage, good blend into its environment, etc etc.... I think the criteria should always be a work-in-progress as there will always be someone coming up with new innovative ways and means to be green.