Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head

9) Ball & its Housing.

Note : Unlike some ball heads, there is not addition Teflon Ring since it has a Phenolic Resin Ball.
Ball-_-Housing-_10.jpg

10) Closer look at the Pan Base.
pan-base-_03.jpg

After cleaning the head a regreasing, I assemble the head & now there is no more "clicking" sound when the ball is release.

Looking closely at each of the parts, I must say it is much better build than a popular china made ball head which, a photog had strip it apart & posted in the internet, complaining that it doesnt perform as stated in its product specification. Unfortunately for those who have yet to visit the actual review site, it has been taken down.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=264516

Last edited:
Testing stability of tripod

For those interested to test the stability of their own tripod, this is a suggestion to you :

1) Secure a "Laser Pointer" at the height that you will normally see through the View Finder when you camera is mounted onto a "Tripod".
I tape mine onto another "Tripod" & place it directly below the lens.

2) Attaching the longest lens you have, mount the setup onto the "Tripod".
I used 40D with grip, 200mm f4 M42 mount manual focus lens, however, it doesn't have "Tripod Collar" so I mount on the 40D.

3) Point the lens towards a wall, distant from the wall should be abit more than Minimum Focusing Distant of the lens.
I was at around 3.5m as indicated on the lens.

5) Shine the "Laser Pointer" onto the wall, somewhere at the center when looking through the View Finder.

6) Use Manual Mode, set Shutter Speed 1sec, Aperture f8 & ISO 100.

7) Shoot as per normal.

8) Using "Cable Release" & take 2nd shot.

9) Turn on Mirror Lock Up function, using the "Cable Release", take the 3rd shot.

This test wouldn't have been possible without Peterpan1975 & Dream Merchant help.

Also, this is a layman test, not a scientific one that uses vibration measurement instrument.

This test was conducted at the void deck of Bras Basah Complex, under no wind condition.

Images are resized to the same scale.

Manfrotto 055PRO 488RC0 Hand Trigger
055PRO-488RC0-HTrig.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO 488RC0 Cable Release Trigger
055PRO-488RC0-Cable.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO 488RC0 MLU Cable Release Trigger
055PRO-488RC0-Cable-MLU.jpg

Last edited:
Manfrotto 055PRO Foba Mini Superball Hand Trigger
055PRO-Foba-HTrig.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO Foba Mini Superball Cable Release
055PRO-Foba-Cable.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO Foba Mini Superball MLU Cable Release
055PRO-Foba-Cable-MLU.jpg

Last edited:
Manfrotto 055PRO Markin Q3T Hand Trigger
055PRO-Q3T-HTrig.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO Markin Q3T Cable Triiger
055PRO-Q3T-Cable.jpg

Manfrotto 055PRO Markin Q3T MLU Cable Triiger
055PRO-Q3T-Cable-MLU.jpg

Last edited:
Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Manfrotto 488RC0 Hand Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-488RC0-HTrig.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Manfrotto 488RC0 Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-488RC0-Cable.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Manfrotto 488RC0 MLU Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-488RC0-Cable-M.jpg

Last edited:
Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Foba Mini Superball Hand Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Foba-HTrig.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Foba Mini Superball Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Foba-Cable.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Foba Mini Superball MLU Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Foba-Cable-MLU.jpg

Last edited:
Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Markin Q3T Hand Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Q3T-HTrig.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Markin Q3T Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Q3T-Cable.jpg

Gitzo GT1940C Basalt Markin Q3T MLU Cable Trigger
Gitzo-Basalt-Q3T-Cable-MLU.jpg

Last edited:
Great Test Dennis!

Next round, shall we include a Mah-Mee CF potpot, the Giant Gyozo and the super pancake Gyozo head? :sweatsm:

My DIY Gorillapod

DIY-gorillapod.jpg

Test Shot, Canon G2, ISO 50, f8, 8sec. Timer mode.
DIY-gorillapod-test.jpg

I will be helping a charity org some of the members with some physical disability out for photo shot. Inview of that, I DIYed this Gorillapod out of :

1) cloth hanger
2) 1/4" x 2" set screw
3) 1/4" wing nut
4) 1/4" washer
5) 2 part epoxy

Problem found upon 1st trial :
1) The wire is still too tough to bend, but it is the softest hanger in the house.
2) Inorder to provide more grip to hold on to smooth surface pipe, I need the wires to be covered with foam material, but right now I dont have.
3) Need to use Timer mode to reduce camera shake.
4) Fitting it with a ballhead will help alot but I cant sponser ballhead, no $$ since jobless.

Will bring it out for trial run tomorrow.

I hope to the final product aid the participants in reducing camera shake as some of them will have difficulty to handle the camera in a stable manner.

Last edited:
2nd trial run findings :

1) Best to find a structure with some protruding part & use them as "stopper" as seen in the shot along the corridor. As mentioned in the 1st trial run, the wire & the cover is not of the best material I can find in the house.

2) Confirm with ballhead, it is much easier to use.

3) The epoxy used may not be suitable as it gave away. So in version 3 of this project, I used thin binding wire to secure the cloth hanger wire to the set screw before applying the epoxy.

4) The diameter of the pipe ideally should be smaller than 10cm.

Stay tune for the trial run for version 3 of the diy gorillapod.

Last edited:
Picketpod Version 1

File a hole in the "picket", insert a 3/8" x 1" countersunk screw than applied 2 part epoxy to stick it.

Velcro were stitched to the 2 straps.

You can use a 1/4" x 1" screw instead of the 3/8" screw used here. Just make sure the ballhead can be screwed on.

For those without ballhead or the one the are using is high end stuff hence not wanting to use it on suck DIY project, one can :

1) Glue a wire (eg cloth hanger as per the one used here in the Gorillapod) to the picket using 2 part epoxy.

2) Glue a 1/4" x 2" set screw (ie screw without head type) to the other end of the wire.

3) Glue a washer to a 1/4" wing nut.

4) Screw on the wing nut assembly as per shown in the Gorillapod.

5) Mount the P&S onto the screw.

Note : Basically, it is a picket with a flexible "neck" where you attach the camera to. Length of the wire will depend on the toughness of the wire you choose. It must be strong enough to hold the camera after bend the "neck to your desired orientation.
However, with this alternative assembly, one should only attached light weight compact P&S, not big ones like eg. canon G series, Sony 707, 717 etc.

Findings :

1) Much more stable than my DIY Gorillapod version 3.
2) Much faster setting up.

DIY-picketpod-1.jpg

DIY-picketpod-2.jpg

DIY-picketpod-4.jpg

DIY-picketpod-3.jpg

Last edited:

Another DIY Camera Support

Mounted a Ballhead onto my Manfrotto Quick Release Plate 3268 Universal Mount Plate 1/4-20, 3/8. All it needs is a flat surface.

You can use a piece of plastic, wood or metal material of 3-5mm thick, drill & tap a 1/4" thread hole in the center, use super glue to stick a 1/4" set screw leaving a 4mm protrusion to screw a small Ballhead like I did here.

QR-Plate-2.jpg

QR-Plate-1.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

btw, i bought the Markins in the end.. LOL

Maintaining Manfrotto Tripod's Telescopic Legs

After using tripod for a long time, sometimes user may find the Telescopic Legs doesnt extend / retract smoothly, there seems to be some dirt / sand inside the legs. Since Manfrotto Quick Action Lock and their Wing Knob Lock System are similar in design (see post #02, item 6.1 and 6.2 of this thread), this procedure is applicable to both.

Dismantling
For those using Manfrotto Tripod with Quick Lever Locking System (aka Quick Release Lock), use the Box Spanner that comes together with the tripod when you bought it (read post #02, item 6 of this thread) to loosen the nut as shown :

IMG_05243.jpg

Important Notes :
1) Never release the Lever Lock of the smaller section leg that you are dismantling (as per what you will normally do when extending the legs).
2) Dismantle 1 leg at a time if you are not familiar with this operation. This way, you can always refer to the other 2 legs during assembly.

Grab the Lock, slowly twist and turn while pulling the Lock outwards as though you are extending the legs.

Once separated, you will see that the inner end of the leg is "deformed" slightly, making it bulge. This is the design that prevent the smaller section of the leg from dropping out when the Lock is release during normal operation :

IMG_05221.jpg

Note : The middle section bulge is not uniformly rounded like the smallest section of the leg. This is for "Indexing" the orientation of the middle section during assembly so that the Lever will always face outside. When assembling the smallest section of the leg, just align the lock to the middle section's lock.

IMG_05211.jpg

Clean the exterior and interior of the legs.

Assembly
Invert the tripod will make the assembly easier.
Starting with the middle section. You will find that once inserted, the middle section is not free to be turn 360deg. This is due to the bulge end I mentioned earlier. Index the middle section so that the Lever is at the outside of the tripod. If unsure of what I mean, just look at the other 2 legs that you have yet to dismantle.
You may need to pry the Locking abit to allow the fattest section of the leg to go through the lock.
Refer to the other 2 legs to see how much you should push in.
Use the Box Spanner to tighten the nut.
Continue with the smallest section, remember to align the Lock to the middle section.

Comes to think of it, I will rotate the Lever to be inside of the tripod :

1) This will make the external profile of the tripod smoother.
2) Because I carry the tripod quite differently from Manfrotto's and Op-Tech Tripod Sling's suggestions. I have the tendency to accidentally flick open the Lever if it gets entangle with my clothing.

Original position of the Lock Lever.
IMG_05252.jpg

After rotation. Lock Lever is inside.
IMG_05263.jpg

It will take me some time to get use to this orientation. Will update you guys later.

Last edited:
Update on the result of reversing the lock position as mentioned in the my previous post, everything workout very good, much better than I expected. Only thing I have not expected is, the lock is as easy to operate as it is in the original position, so there wasnt a need for me to get use to the new orientation.

If you are using Manfrotto tripod with Quick Action Lever and are confident about the adjustment I stated, I highly recommend you test this out.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
If anyone has a spoil tripod with "twist n lock system", can give me? I want to see how to maintain the lock so others can DIY.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm going to get a ballhead soon. I was thinking of getting the sirui ballhead at this store this afternoon but the salesperson told me not to get as it isn't as safe as the manfrotto one. Btw i'm using a manfrotto tripod. The salesperson said to get back the same brand of ballhead and tripod together because he quoted the sirui ballhead would damage the thread of the tripod thread. Is this true? Can i use any other brand of ballhead instead of a manfrotto?

Thanks.