Bad experience buying lemon lens from CSer

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDZ2 said:
Was it a Sigma lens? I have a 17mm one that turned hazy for no apparent reason. Asked the friend who sold it to me about it and he said that its the degradation of the lens coating. Heard its a known phenomenon. Anyway, can't blame my friend as I had already used it a few years before it happened. Too bad its a superwide angle or else can use as a portrait lens with built in soft filter :)

This is what the young owner at John 3:16 (?) told me too, when the Sigma lens becomes older, the images will become soft.

nutek said:
seems like a classic case of one of those old Sigmas requiring a rechip. Your seller might not have even known of this problem since it may not have occured on his 1D. Caveat emptor - you have to know which lenses are compatible and which are not with your own camera.

According to him, he used it on his 300D and 10D.

Anyway, when I went to Sigma marketing, the technician/engineer told me the electrical connection inside the lens was broken (the plastic bit with circuits printed on it). When we turn the zoom ring, we can feel sudden change in resistance from the ring.

If its a case for rechip, the AF wouldn't work either. But my case only aperture control was dead.

Moonstone said:
Hi, ConnorMcLeod. Take it in your strides, don't let this thing be a hindrance in your effort in exploring the beauty of photography.:)

Thanks Mate! Yep, lessons learned with plenty of positive inputs from you guys here.

Status
Not open for further replies.