Backfocus/Frontfocus: Something to live with for DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lytefunk said:
I don't have money. so I get a D70.. I know what it can do, I know what are its limits, of course, I have my complains, but $$$ doesn't allow me to complain too much

bravo. I share your thinking exactly. ;)

lytefunk said:
i believe the reason why theres such thing as back focus and front focus issues is that its a consumer camera.. A mass produced, cheaply available (although people would argue $2k isn't cheap), low QC tolerance camera..

basically, if you don't want to have front/back focussing issues, pay for it...

Read my post above.

Erm, no. My post above said that it's not a cheap camera issue. Nothing to do with complaining.

oh.... its starting to get interesting...

How come its not a cheap camera issue?

I personally have not used the 5k and above range of dSLRs.. so I can't really comment there..

I always thought it was the need to mass produce for the consumers, resulting in dropping from a high end, no faults tolerated type of segment (eg: F5, F100) to a consumerish, 'everybody has' middle end segment (eg: f65, f75)

The film bodies quoted is just an example

I've encountered backfocusing on F90x, F100 and D70 as well on a particular lens. This may not be the issue of cheap bodies.

I'm more inclined to think that the advent of digital allowed everyone to scrutinize their images more closely, hence the sudden proliferation of complaints.

If I didn't shoot wide open or scanned my slides, I probably might not have discovered the backfocus issues.

Hi,

I have Nikon Flash wanna to seel. The models are SB- 30 and SB 50 DX. It was bought in few months ago. It still looks new and in good condition as they are very well taken care of. Only used for once ( When I travelled overseas). It still has the warranty ( unfilled warranty ).

Anyone who is interested, please contact me at why_so_tired@hotmail.com

Thank's

Ong_23 said:
Hi,

I have Nikon Flash wanna to seel. The models are SB- 30 and SB 50 DX. It was bought in few months ago. It still looks new and in good condition as they are very well taken care of. Only used for once ( When I travelled overseas). It still has the warranty ( unfilled warranty ).

Anyone who is interested, please contact me at why_so_tired@hotmail.com

Thank's

Ong_23, you're posting this in the wrong forum. :nono:

Seriously, i am still scratching my head as to why the ultra cheap sigma 18-50DC i just got is focusing tack accurate on the D70, absolutely no back or front focus. Together with a 50/1.8, they really give you a 100% balanced DOF blur, not even off by a bit. I originally thought that it is the body, was probably aiming for next week to go down to Nikon SG and calibrate.

lytefunk said:

err, cause as I said in my post, it happens to the 1D, 1D mkII, D1h, D1x, D2h. And not many DSLRs cost more than those...

Jed said:
err, cause as I said in my post, it happens to the 1D, 1D mkII, D1h, D1x, D2h. And not many DSLRs cost more than those...

Then you mean that the problem lies in the lenses? Nikon does not 'adjust' their lens element properly? Poor QC control?? Or...???
I mean that there is still problems somewhere? But where is the problems lies??

Err. Nowhere in my post have I said the problem lies with the lens. Frankly I don't know what the problem is, and I have a feeling there are different problems floating about, not just the one, because I can in theory rule out lenses, mirror alignment, AF module alignment, lens mount warping, body warping, CCD alignment, etc at various stages.

Well the back-focussing issue I have followed with some interest especially with the latest D70.... and frankly I can't really tell what's a back-focussed shot since if the a sharp background cum a slightly blurred subject constitutes a so-called back-focussed problem, then is it not a matter of focussing on the wrong thing by the photographer in the first place? I really dun know so I am asking around here since it was raised here....

In any case, it seems interesting that back-focussing has been an issue with DSLRs for sometime now (AFAIK), but I haven't read anything addressing this issue from the manufacturers themselves....

It's also interesting that there is no consensus as well as to where the problem really lies.... from what I am aware of, it just seems that there is this problem, but no one has even suggested why it's there anyway.... curious... :dunno:

I'm just voicing my puzzlement over the issue, if anyone here can enlighten me, thanks a lot in advance.... I'm looking at Minolta's DSLR launch sometime next year.... so this issue will become applicable to me soon enough.... :D

lytefunk said:

I personally have not used the 5k and above range of dSLRs.. so I can't really comment there..

I always thought it was the need to mass produce for the consumers, resulting in dropping from a high end, no faults tolerated type of segment (eg: F5, F100) to a consumerish, 'everybody has' middle end segment (eg: f65, f75)

The film bodies quoted is just an example

Haha F100 no fault??? I've got a $200 camera that lasted longer and was more reliable than my F100.

I think the problem is that the Internet has spawn rampant paranoia, and also a mass of photographers who are beginners or have no real experience with photography and how technology produces focus, which results basically in rumours spreading like wildfire. As I've already said, I think the problem is that there are various causes of the problem out there, and some more bizarre than others. I've had more run in with this than most people out there, and I've done so many tests on the worst offenders out there.

To get to the root of the problem in a backfocus situation means you need to rule out, as TME points out, inaccurate focus to begin with. You also have to rule out plenty of other factors along the way. At the height of my issue I had a D1x which had a massive case of the yips, and backfocused majorly with a 17-35, 85, and marginally with a 14, 28-70, 70-200, 400, but was tack sharp on a 300. On the other hand those lenses were tack with a D1h on loan from Nikon. Three times the camera went back to Nikon, three times it came back with Nikon pronouncing there were no problems. One of those times the body needed reforming. Eventually, the problem was sorted on all lenses at all distances, *except the 17-35 at close to minimum focus*. The same lens is now perfect at all distances on a pair of D2hs. Problem happens whether in AF or MF, indeed the 85/1.4 was at the time an AIS version and the focusing problem was major, bearing in mind how much DOF there is when shot wide open.

Canon 1D bodies have long had front focusing issues straight out of the factory, of a different sort to the Nikons. This is/was just a straightforward focusing several inches in front of the subject. The D2h suffers from a problem whereby it sometimes, primarily with a stationary subject wearing dark colours, will just plain not focus on the real subject, instead locking on a point about 12 inches in front. Both these backfocus/front focus situations are caused by autofocus sensor misalignments in the most part, and manual focusing will not solve the problem whereas in the D1x the problem results whether you MF or not. By all accounts the 1D mk II is afflicted by the same problem as its predecessor. The D2hs have gone back to Nikon and they have pronounced themselves happy that the cameras are behaving to spec but I've seen absolutely no improvement.

And if you think this is a lot of information, I'm only just beginning to elaborate on some of my experiences in this issue. It is not a straightforward one. I have not had a D70 for any length of time to know if there is a backfocus issue with it, and if there is what the cause might be, but I would caution everyone to be SURE there is a problem and that the problem is not operator induced, before bugging Nikon or anyone else to try and fix what might be a non-existent problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.