B+W XS-PRO 010 UV MRC vs Hoya HD filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
another thing it's no ghost on lighting.

DSC_0474s.jpg

I noticed this Hoya HD is not readily available in the shops. In fact both OP and TK are pushing for Kenko Zeta. While I know Tokina, Kenko and Hoya are basically the same company. As for Hoya HD and Kenko Zeta filters, they said that Hoya HD is for export while Kenko Zeta is for JDM. Any truth in this? (1)

Anyway, I don't have a Hoya HD on hand to compare. They also say that the rim thickness is the same (2). After buying then I realised that the Kenko Zeta and B+W F-Pro are about the same thickness (which means not as slim as Hoya HD).

Last point to note is that they also said that upon impact, it is better for the filter to take the impact and break. Else the shock will be transferred to the inner lens. This seems a logical point of view. So does that mean all the hype about Hoya HD being unbreakable seems to be flaw now? (3)

Anyone can debunk the myth from the facts? (1,2,3)

I noticed this Hoya HD is not readily available in the shops. In fact both OP and TK are pushing for Kenko Zeta. While I know Tokina, Kenko and Hoya are basically the same company. As for Hoya HD and Kenko Zeta filters, they said that Hoya HD is for export while Kenko Zeta is for JDM. Any truth in this? (1)

Anyway, I don't have a Hoya HD on hand to compare. They also say that the rim thickness is the same (2). After buying then I realised that the Kenko Zeta and B+W F-Pro are about the same thickness (which means not as slim as Hoya HD).

Last point to note is that they also said that upon impact, it is better for the filter to take the impact and break. Else the shock will be transferred to the inner lens. This seems a logical point of view. So does that mean all the hype about Hoya HD being unbreakable seems to be flaw now? (3)

No idea on #1.

#2 - Possibly this could apply to any number of filters.

As for #3, I would prefer the filter ring and filter material take as much of the impact as possible, ergo, a filter that is able to crack or shatter easily (think of the crumple-zone bonnet design of the Volvo or Merz). However, in some applications where photographers need to shoot in blinding sand storms, or for PJs who work in war-zones, and possibly certain specialized sports photography, front-impact protection would probably be desirable.

are u sure? i screw a step down ring on my 72mm XS-Pro filter in order to mount an adaptor for me to use my macro ringflash on 100L lens.

is just the thread is very short,i find it not so nice to secure the lens cap.

You're misinformed dude. XS Pro DOES have a front filter thread. You might be confusing it with the older F-Pro which doesn't.

Do u really own one or just making a wild guess? It DOES have front threads.

lol ... my apologies !

the seller told me the XS-pro got no front thread
i buy it merely to protect my lens since i do not use a hood or any other filters for any shoot

for ultimate protection go for hoya hd... i have a b+w f-pro, been to hk and back, admit that i wasnt careful with it... landed up with minute scratches over it...

1 Kenko is for the JDM but its not Harden glass. Plus the Kenko is a lot more expensive! i have that but its too expensive. i think local market cannot accept the price difference in its CPL series.
2 F-pro should be thicker by 1mm
3 The HD series is for its better coating and the Harden glass is just another plus point. so that the glass will not break and damage your front element. The aluminium ring will still absorb the impact.

hi, all

i just got both filter and i have some compare and reviews.

can see the photo result from hoya and B+W.

HoyaHDvsBWUV-Haze-1.jpg

B+W filter
BWf4-1.jpg

Hoya HD filter
Hoyaf4-1.jpg

but for me i will choose the Hoya HD is good result.
cause it's without the ghost on lighting.

so how your think?

Last edited:
hi, all

so how your think?

Do post some cleaning tips with regards to the surface of the Hoya HD filters. Btw, which area does the ghosting on the B+W filtered photo occurred? & I thought the light (main subject) had an overly-reddish tinge in the Hoya HD-filtered photo, no?

Do post some cleaning tips with regards to the surface of the Hoya HD filters. Btw, which area does the ghosting on the B+W filtered photo occurred? & I thought the light (main subject) had an overly-reddish tinge in the Hoya HD-filtered photo, no?

no apply anything from my own lens,
just using the filter and attached into my lens

and took the photo with tripod.
from the both also same.

same distance same ISO and speed.

but both have diff result.

some cleaning tips!
pls refer my photo below.

thanks.

Last edited:
1st step and get ready it 3 items.

blow out the dust from the filter.
P1010304.jpg

2nd step using LED touch light and see which area is got many dust.
P1010307.jpg

3 step just using the lens pen for cleaning as turning circle.
after just used the blower and shoot out the dust from the lenspen head.
P1010312.jpg

4 step and continued to cleaning, after done all and using blower to shoot the glass only.
because you have LED touch you can see more clearly.
P1010310.jpg

it's everything i using as a same time haha..

hi, all

so how your think?

Quite big difference in the colour. Which is closer to the actual colour?

Quite big difference in the colour. Which is closer to the actual colour?

i think the actual color is from your eye to looks.

Hoya HD is quite near to natural color, only a bit red.

but B+W is quite near also but only the purple ring. if without the purple ring it's perfect.
becaue the purple ring is make the frame looks like the lens got more CAs issue.

Last edited:
hi guys, the im u sing a conon protector for my 17-40. the seller said that its the same material as e lens. is it true? i wanted to get the hoya uv hd initially but cos of what he said i choose the protector

for me is no point to collect it limited edition for filter only. And also not a lenses if lens sure i will buy for collection. Ha ha. Maybe can be try for samsung dslr lenses is using b+w product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.