AW1 user - how was the camera?

Interested on this camera too. Anyone had it, please share some experience and picture. thanks

i also interested in this , but currently there is no stock on white ..

Nikon 1 AW1 owner, can share feedback on this camera?
It's not much different from all the other 1 cameras, just the handling is a bit worse. The buttons feel like from an underwater housing and it feels bulkier.

i got it .. yes the button are very hard to press , maybe this cam is meant for underwater .. :confused:
i buy it to play at my swimming pool , havent try yet ... recently keep on raining .. keke...

indoor lighting , the noise is poor .. unless , ur lighting is good.

i got it .. yes the button are very hard to press , maybe this cam is meant for underwater .. :confused:
i buy it to play at my swimming pool , havent try yet ... recently keep on raining .. keke...

indoor lighting , the noise is poor .. unless , ur lighting is good.

The whole camera feels like a compact camera put it an underwater housing, a bit hollow. The buttons feel cheap. But I think the low-light performance is rather good like all Nikon 1 cameras, at least if you shoot raw.

Last edited:
I finally got the AW1 and I already owed the V1. Reason for getting was the underwater feature and also the GPS unit. The GPS locks fast (under 5 seconds for me) but yet to try the underwater feature.

I finally got the AW1 and I already owed the V1. Reason for getting was the underwater feature and also the GPS unit. The GPS locks fast (under 5 seconds for me) but yet to try the underwater feature.

Is that faster than the GP-N100 for the V1? I'm currently in Japan with it and it locks on in under 5 seconds, at least outside [and with the latest GP-N100 firmware v1.02]. :)

So how is the AW1 compared to the V1 in the field?

Last edited:
I do not have the GP-N100 for the V1 and hence cannot comment much. For the field experience, the V1 handling was much better. With the AW1, the lens barrel was tighter due to the water sealing and hence the operation of this lens is much more slower as compared to the V1. Autofocus from both V1 and AW1 is no different. There is one exception though, I find the AW1 attached kit lens is bigger and hence offer a better grip for my hands. I find the 14 MP count on the AW1 more useful than the V1. The AW1 in-build flash is definitely more welcome and I use it often though the flash power is weak. I had the external flash for the V1 but it was troublesome to set up and another item to bring out and hence ever since I bought it, it had been used once for testing and seldom brought out of the house at all. I just live with the higher ISOs and no flash. For the AW1, I ended up using the flash in tricky situation where I needed additional lighting and really find the build-in flash more useful.

Last edited:
I do not have the GP-N100 for the V1 and hence cannot comment much. For the field experience, the V1 handling was much better. With the AW1, the lens barrel was tighter due to the water sealing and hence the operation of this lens is much more slower as compared to the V1. Autofocus from both V1 and AW1 is no different. There is one exception though, I find the AW1 attached kit lens is bigger and hence offer a better grip for my hands. I find the 14 MP count on the AW1 more useful than the V1. The AW1 in-build flash is definitely more welcome and I use it often though the flash power is weak. I had the external flash for the V1 but it was troublesome to set up and another item to bring out and hence ever since I bought it, it had been used once for testing and seldom brought out of the house at all. I just live with the higher ISOs and no flash. For the AW1, I ended up using the flash in tricky situation where I needed additional lighting and really find the build-in flash more useful.

Yeah, the 14MP are nice but I had the feeling it's noisier at higher ISO, at least when I borrowed the V2. I guess Nikon improved it by now.

I doubt the V3 will go back to the V1 design but I hope Nikon introduces a real replacement for the V1, maybe as part of a new line. Even better would be a Df style Nikon 1 [but with a real classic look, not something which looks like a cheap knockoff like the Df]. ;) Would go well with the 18.5/1.8 and the 32/1.2 lenses and hopefully they will add something like a bright ~13mm prime.

Last edited:
I used to have a Nikon V2 before getting an AW1 for my dive trip.

I felt that the shutter speed is alot faster on the V2 and the buttons on AW1 are not very friendly underwater. It took me some time to change the settings.

Nonetheless, I love the camera for its underwater function and enjoyed using it the entire trip. I love its panorama function especially.

However, as I was into deep diving, I got myself an EWA-MARINE A-B casing to allow the camera to be brought down to 30m. The picture quality is not very good as I did not bring any strobes with me on this trip, but it was still acceptable to me.

I used to have a Nikon V2 before getting an AW1 for my dive trip.

I felt that the shutter speed is alot faster on the V2 and the buttons on AW1 are not very friendly underwater. It took me some time to change the settings.

Nonetheless, I love the camera for its underwater function and enjoyed using it the entire trip. I love its panorama function especially.

However, as I was into deep diving, I got myself an EWA-MARINE A-B casing to allow the camera to be brought down to 30m. The picture quality is not very good as I did not bring any strobes with me on this trip, but it was still acceptable to me.

For those who wish to use a camera underwater or use a decent water-proof camera, it is necessary that such cameras have gaskets to do that job. That will always translate into some controls being not as easily meddled than cameras not designed for such heavy duty work. Those of us bringing down cameras with housing will tell you that with the housing it gets worse, especially with Ikelite housing where controls are unmarked and usually bear no resemblance to the location and look of the buttons (activated via levers and wheels).

I almost fainted when the AW1 was announced cause I bought the J1 and WP-N1 combination, until I found out that the AW1 is not a digital Nikonos. Wonder why Nikon stopped short of getting it to the proper dive-rating (of 40-60m)? I would have gladly swallowed the pill and bought the AW1 had it been properly rated. As of now, like poisonpiggy, an additional housing is necessary and so it defeats the purpose.

Share a shot with J1 and WP-N1 with Inon Strobe.
DM_and_cleaner_shrimps_s.jpg

Yes to get decent colours a strobe is necessary, good colours for macro or near shots. To get good reef colours twin strobes.

My other underwater rig comprise D800, Ikelite twin strobes and Nikon lenses.

Last edited: