Availibility of D800 in Singapore (Part 2)

Maybe it would be cheaper if you bargain? Never bought electronics or optical equipment in Bangkok before, so maybe my suggestion can be a little silly.

On the plus side, it is already cheaper as it is over a local set.

Blur Shadow said:
Maybe it would be cheaper if you bargain? Never bought electronics or optical equipment in Bangkok before, so maybe my suggestion can be a little silly.

On the plus side, it is already cheaper as it is over a local set.

Some stuff in Bangkok indeed cheaper eg fuji x100. My personal experience - bought from this chain store called powerbuy (part of the central, one world group of stores) they gave me a customer returned set and tried to pass off as a new one. Subsequently went to Big Camera chain and got a really brand new set.

Price wise, not much bargaining can be done if the quoted price is already a reasonable street price.

Hope this helps :)

Your cure is going to cost you > 4000/- SG$

Everyone's challenges on the road of photography is different. Perhaps yours is price. Mine is inspiration to find the time to shoot.

Everyone's challenges on the road of photography is different. Perhaps yours is price. Mine is inspiration to find the time to shoot.

well for one, Price is NOT a challenge for me. and if yours is inspiration to find time to shoot then your not being inspired enough or your passion for photography is less coz you want to be inspired to find time for it. (in the same spirit of you deducing something about me)

When i said its going to cost 4K i merely meant the cost to buy a d800 coz your comment quoted someone for the price a D800 could be had for.

Boys, boys. Let's be civilized about this and don't pick a fight over price or inspiration. If it makes both of you feel better, I am challenged in both the price and the ispiration departments.

For those out there who are contemplating on getting the D800/E, do read Thom Hogan's writeup. Very true, imo, especially, his view that the D800 is a demanding camera. Not for the faith-hearted :) (i.e. less-skilled)

Nikon D800 and D800E Review by Thom Hogan

burboy said:
Thom blew my mind with his review.

With Thomas Hogan review what comes to my mind is that, those who want to jump the boat from D7000 to D800, should stick to D7000.

Have I inferred it correctly ?

atique said:
With Thomas Hogan review what comes to my mind is that, those who want to jump the boat from D7000 to D800, should stick to D7000.

Stick to d7k if you use your dslr like pns and crop it later. In other words Big Cropper.

Grain of salt...

not necessarily... what he meant was, those who want more pixels so they can crop in should stick to D7000, and get better lenses and plan their shots so that they don't need to crop in so much... while those who want more pixels so that they can print bigger should get the D800... but note that the D7000 already allows pretty large prints, easily 27" x 18"...

Last edited:
nikoneer said:
Stick to d7k if you use your dslr like pns and crop it later. In other words Big Cropper.

Grain of salt...

Dear nikoneer.

I am unable to understand your advice.

Can you please be specific without any abbreviations.

Thanks

theRBK said:
not necessarily... what he meant was, those who want more pixels so they can crop in should stick to D7000, and get better lenses and plan their shots so that they don't need to crop in so much... while those who want more pixels so that they can print bigger should get the D800... but note that the D7000 already allows pretty large prints, easily 27" x 18"...

Thanks a lot theRBK for the nice reply.

Boys, boys. Let's be civilized about this and don't pick a fight over price or inspiration. If it makes both of you feel better, I am challenged in both the price and the ispiration departments.

umm someone was poisoned :faint: i was merely pointing directions to the vaccine center. and i am not feeling better, umm if you bought me a Starbucks latte maybe i would feel better.
And if anyone was offended by my post please PM me your email id, i will personally apologize to you.

And now back to the topic. Has the D800 slumped below the 4k yet or is it still riding the 4300$ high wave

atique said:
Dear nikoneer.

I am unable to understand your advice.

Can you please be specific without any abbreviations.

Thanks

I am sorry. I am not giving advice, I am just explaining what THom said.

He means that stick to d7000 if you often crop your photo like for example, Shoot anything you want without miding the composition. Then when you post process the result, you crop it to get a good framing.

If I read it correctly, what he means is, if you rely on 36 megapixel by cropping your photo then you are not taking the advantage of the great image resolution that the d800 can give.

For me I'll take his advice like a grain of salt. It is like case to case basis.

I am sorry if my previous post misleads you.

P.S

Both of us are now off topic. Maybe we should continue this in D800 users thread? :)

haha lets come back to the topic! so did anyone got their D800 especially from audiohouse?

Yes, I am also interested to know if there is still any place with existing stock for D800 at maximum RRP.

In that case, I would think that those who want to crop most of the time should get the D800 as it has even more pixels for them to crop from during post-processing than with the D7000 and so would end up with higher resolution images after cropping. It is only when you want to start the 'cropping' by 'zooming in' with DX lenses then would the D7000 be useful. There would however be occasions when the focal length multiplier of 1.5 for the DX lenses might be too much and we can't step back far enough due to space constraints to get the shot we want.

In that case, I would think that those who want to crop most of the time should get the D800 as it has even more pixels for them to crop from during post-processing than with the D7000 and so would end up with higher resolution images after cropping. It is only when you want to start the 'cropping' by 'zooming in' with DX lenses then would the D7000 be useful. There would however be occasions when the focal length multiplier of 1.5 for the DX lenses might be too much and we can't step back far enough due to space constraints to get the shot we want.
when I mentioned that one should plan their shots regarding the D7000, what I meant was to frame it the way one would want the end image to look so no cropping need be done rather than get the D800 and then crop in later on, not that one should get the D7000 and then crop into the image... :)

as for wide shots, DX lenses up to 10mm (angle coverage equivalent to 15mm in FX) should be good enough... if not, can always stitch 2 or more images :)

when I mentioned that one should plan their shots regarding the D7000, what I meant was to frame it the way one would want the end image to look so no cropping need be done rather than get the D800 and then crop in later on, not that one should get the D7000 and then crop into the image... :)

as for wide shots, DX lenses up to 10mm (angle coverage equivalent to 15mm in FX) should be good enough... if not, can always stitch 2 or more images :)
I think the same advice also applies for the D800. People should frame the shot according to the end image desired and not anyhow shoot and then crop later even when they are using the D800. I always do that with my full frame DSLRs.

Picked up my Nikon D800E at Fotofile in Bangkok; they have several branches and carry a wide selection of cameras and lenses both 2nd hand and new. They even carry Leica much to my wife's delight.
I paid around 105,000 baht for the camera which is approx s$4375. I even treated myself to the 35mm 1.4G .