Availibility of D800 in Singapore (Part 2)

Hi all,

I currently own a D200 with a 18-200mm DX VR zoom (all 6 years old).

This forum is so lively, especially all the debate over the elusive D800 and D800E. I finally decided that I'm going for the D800E, which will probably be my last camera (I think about the D1000s, if I'm still around:D) What Nikon lense do you recommend that will do justice to this camera? I would prefer a zoom starting at 20mm but prefer to stop at 100mm thereabout, hopefully f/2.8, since I've never had the luxury of trying such a fast lense)

Your recommendation and opinion will be very much appreciated.

Now, if only I know where I can lay my hands on the camera....

Cheers!

Hi all,

This forum is so lively, especially all the debate over the elusive D800 and D800E. I finally decided that I'm going for the D800E, which will probably be my last camera (I think about the D1000s, if I'm still around:D) What Nikon lense do you recommend that will do justice to this camera? I would prefer a zoom starting at 20mm but prefer to stop at 100mm thereabout, hopefully f/2.8, since I've never had the luxury of trying such a fast lense)

Cheers!

think ur closest bet would be the AFS24-120 f4 G VR lens.

Sorry to tell you , I don't think any zoom lens can use the potential of the D800E . See my post on D800E from today, including ( unsuccessful) test of the Nikon AF-S VR 24-120 ED on this camera.

Sorry to tell you , I don't think any zoom lens can use the potential of the D800E . See my post on D800E from today, including ( unsuccessful) test of the Nikon AF-S VR 24-120 ED on this camera.

i've good result from AF28-105 f3.5-4.5D, AF70-180 micro, AF18-35 f3.5-4.5D etc.

in fact, i'm amazed the lenses can perform with D800E.

perhaps shooting condition is different.

D800 now readily available at SLS ......

It depends on how eager you are to own it ........ :)

the price will be RRP until the people who is willing to pay RRP gets their D800 :) When the dealers find that nobody is willing to buy at RRP, then the prices will fall.

Somebody predicted end of this month the price will fall back. For me I am waiting patiently :)

Yea all of us should wait hehehe

dniwkh said:
the price will be RRP until the people who is willing to pay RRP gets their D800 :) When the dealers find that nobody is willing to buy at RRP, then the prices will fall.

Somebody predicted end of this month the price will fall back. For me I am waiting patiently :)

If people willing to pay more, why should they earn less? They are not charities.

choocn said:
Hi all,

Cheers!

How about 50mm f/1.4G for speed and affordability, 16-35mm f/4G VRII for a very sharp new lens and 105mm f/2.8G mikro for a portrait-macro versatility? I believe these will serve you very well for travel, street photography and family photos.

In any case, Nikon suggests a list of lenses for the D800/E. Have a look at Page 16 of this official brochure:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info.

Seems like 24-70mm f/2.8 is what I'm looking for.

If I'm traveling with family, I will restrict myself to just one lense so as not to try everyone's patience. I will bring my collection if I'm on a dedicated photography tour. Anyone knows if the D800E will be sold at the next IT fair in June? Seems like getting it and at a decent price now is still a big challenge

This include the 24-70 f2.8 zoom lens? The 24-120 f4 is as sharp & listed in the Nikon suggested list of lens for sharpness. Perhaps you used the lens wrongly.... dont remember you setting the lens VR to off on the tripod? And I believe different zoom lens are optimised at different focal lengths & apertures?

Last edited:
Doubt so......................:embrass:

Even if it's does, think it's should be cheaper getting elsewhere.

Anyone knows if the D800E will be sold at the next IT fair in June? Seems like getting it and at a decent price now is still a big challenge

Just get the 24-70 f/2.8 AFD....not exactly what ur range specified but hell of a lens...hope u discover what a workhorse it is

Hi all,

Cheers!

Kopiko79 said:
Just get the 24-70 f/2.8 AFD....not exactly what ur range specified but hell of a lens...hope u discover what a workhorse it is

U meant the 28-70 Afd?

There is 1 piece D800 on stock at Courts Causeway. Goodluck guys. As of 1pm still on shelf