are you tired of IT line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
taxes in US r higher, if i'm not wrong. may be up till 40% i heard...
stuff like food also costs more, n unemployment n crime is slightly higher. it's a tradeoff i guess...

Originally posted by Shadus

:confused: I try not to think about it.

Oh, but housing in US not really 'cheaper'.
Their house also cost like $200k - $500k or even more. Some millions too. Depends on location. Very much like singapore.
BUT, the big diff is, their house is BIGGGGGGG... :dunno:

i heard from somewhere, material in USA is not expensive, quality is.

Meaning, they pay for quality, not material.

In Singapore, we pay for both.

Housing prices are very high right now because the interest rates are so low due to the bad economy.

How much does a 4 bedroom house cost in Singapore? And how much land is it on? New York, where I am, the housing prices are higher than some other states and the taxes are very high too. It's normal to pay $6000. in taxes per year. Any suburb of a major city is going to be the same.

I could give you quotes on houses here if you want, just to see what the comparison would be. I have to admit, I'm curious.

yar, i'm curious.
U been to singapore before? We lived in flats, not landed properties. Its like an apartment in your terms.
A 3-bedroom flat, 115 sq m, would cost us US$210k

I've a friend in seattle, his house cost him US$500k. But it sits on a golf course..... :eek: And its landed property. And its BIGGGG.

$6000/yr only?
I heard tax can be up to 40% depending on which state you stay in.

There's a difference right there. Usually when you aren't buying a house, you can rent. You pay by month, you don't have to buy a 'flat' up front. I have the ground floor of a house which has two bedrooms, a living room, eat-in kitchen, bathroom, washer/dryer, garage, private entrance, heat and hot water included for $1500. a month. That's a little high too but I live three blocks from the ocean so the area I live in is more expensive than normal.

There are also condominiums that you can purchase up front but usually the only people who go for those are the ones who don't want a big house like retired people. They can cost about the same as your flats.

I don't own a house so I'm not so sure about taxes but in NY and especially on Long Island where I am, property taxes are very high. I don't think 40% is a fair estimate here, that's a hell of a lot of money. I'll ask some of my friends and find out what the value of their house is and what the taxes are for it.

Too much information for me to type here.... Here is a link to the other message board I frequent and the thread that I started about it...

OTCentral.com

what i'm sure of is the wages are definitely higher in NY than s'pore. for example in law, the govt controls the fees lawyers can charge. this brings down the salary of lawyers by a ton. the biggest law firm in s'pore, Alen & Gledhill, offers almost 46k sing pa starting pay. the major law firm in NY can afford almost 200k, which is helluva lota money. IT professionals here also earn less, partly due to the influx of cheaper 'foreign talent'. it's a lose-lose situation in this respect.... u can never be rich in s'pore.

haha... why then are there multi-million dollar homes and half-million dollar cars on the roads then?
:p

dun think there r that many big houses in s'pore... the prime areas r dominated by expats. for every house in s'pore, there r like a ton of families in generic HDB flats...

Originally posted by shuy
what i'm sure of is the wages are definitely higher in NY than s'pore. for example in law, the govt controls the fees lawyers can charge. this brings down the salary of lawyers by a ton.

what about those who are in medical ? i think medical fee is very expensive in Singapore. I went for this MIR scan and it costs me $1000 !!!!.

I mean it is also a benefit to the citizen if government control the fees. But then again, it might not be as benefitcial for others..;)

Originally posted by ninelives

what about those who are in medical ? i think medical fee is very expensive in Singapore. I went for this MIR scan and it costs me $1000 !!!!.

I mean it is also a benefit to the citizen if government control the fees. But then again, it might not be as benefitcial for others..;)

MRI scan.

yes, medical fees in Singapore is really expensive, ONLY IF without class B2 subsidies. i still remember when i had brain stroke in japan, my bill costs more than 100K, and i guess it would cost the same for a foreigner in Singapore?
but then, the level of services and expertise is higher in japan compared to singapore

Originally posted by ninelives

well, economically speaking, price controls actually creates an imperfect market, which is, according to my econs textbk, a bad thing hehe.

i think MRI scans r expensive throughout the world, i had one too at NUH..

Status
Not open for further replies.