Are you a lazy photographer?

Are you a lzy photographer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The moment you apply a qualitative judgement such as ''lazy'' you're already denying some methods. end of the day, only the image matters.

Yup. A currently existing 'correct' method should not be a preclusion for others, ie. there is no one right answer. A person shooting inefficiently, may more than make up for it by having highly efficient post-processing techniques, maybe?

Despite the extremely wide latitude for correction (as distinct from manipulation), there really is no substitute for getting it right the first time. What I see happening is that photographers are not 'seeing' the light until it is on the comupter monitor, e.g. model shoot, they don't even notice the harsh shadows and are quite happy to shoot in full sun at mid day, rather then make it a couple of hours sooner, or later or even move the model to another location where the light is more diffuse. It's more about shooting as many frames as possible (nothing to do with burst mode) and selecting a very small percentage as keepers, which in reallity are all pretty bad anyway.
there is this thing call experience, just need one shot to see on the LCD is this shot work or not work, some even use naked eye to visualize the final outcome.

hard to explain this some time...

The only thing that i'm thinking when doing a shoot is the composition and exposure. Anything past that, i'll leave it to my computer. Not talking about planned compositions here, everything is happening so fast, the feeling comes and goes so fast, the object poses and change so fast. The problem could be my speed of thinking or speed of my hand trying to change the shutter speed or metering mode

As with all laws, I guess there is always room for exceptions... :dunno:

I foresee in the future that a convergence will happen between still image cameras and videos, when high-definition videos are able to capture gallery and publication-worthy still shots. Then, the question of whether to burst or not to burst would be moot.
I know of some cinematography using still photography lighting methods to light a scene and get wonderful effects, and you can extract some images from this video or film, but it will not be a finest piece of art.

The only thing that i'm thinking when doing a shoot is the composition and exposure. Anything past that, i'll leave it to my computer. Not talking about planned compositions here, everything is happening so fast, the feeling comes and goes so fast, the object poses and change so fast. The problem could be my speed of thinking or speed of my hand trying to change the shutter speed or metering mode

At times, I find that I find the best composition on my computer screen than what was originally intended on field, or a smaller area of interest from what I thought was a throwaway picture. Then crop, crop, crop. Gosh, I wish I had a 16MP or higher resolution camera.

I guess for us newbies, it's quite easy to be inundated by "the moment" and having to choose the most optimal setting on your cam (which could be the 'P' mode for all your know.. :bsmilie:).

I know of some cinematography using still photography lighting methods to light a scene and get wonderful effects, and you can extract some images from this video or film, but it will not be a finest piece of art.

Not unless you're into "Fine Art Photography". :bsmilie:

I foresee in the future that a convergence will happen between still image cameras and videos, when high-definition videos are able to capture gallery and publication-worthy still shots. Then, the question of whether to burst or not to burst would be moot.

On the contrary. There are lots of awful home videos out there, made by amateurs. (That's why Lee Ang can win awards but they can't.)

What makes you think the still frames from home video cameras, even with higher MP, would be any better? Is it the content, lighting and composition that makes a shot publication-worthy, or is it how high-definition each frame is?

And by the way, film users can review after shooting, that's what polaroids are for, eg in studio situations when lighting ratios need to be checked.

However, the key point of shooting film is to know what your equipment can do through experience, so one can be confidenct and there is no self-doubt about whether one has nailed the shot. This is a valuable skill one can learn even for digital as what's going to happen next could be more important than what has already passed.
isn't that for medium format only? or slr also can?

i fear the "decisive moment" thing has been taken too seriously.. roger hicks from AP once retorted that "If there really were only one decisive moment, one would only ever take a single photograph of any subject.". cheers

This thread wasn't meant to illicit argument, although I expected it would. My question wasn't regarding burt mode or P-mode (I'll come back to this) but rather photographers whether they know nothing, a little or a lot that shoot with a mind set along the lines of - "I don't need to worry about the technicalities of the shot now, I'll just fix it later".

As for having vision, well, you can't capture your vision, unless all the components of that vision are there, composition and exposure - both of which can be manipulated later (again nothing wrong with this).

Burst mode, very simply was created for sports (and to a slightly lesser degree, wildlife)photographers. Sure it can be used in other circumstances, but again, that's not what I'm talking about here.

Maybe another way to ask the question would be - "Is photographic creativity shifting from the camera to the computer?".
but what is art? does an artist have a license to do whatever he wants to the photo?

the truth is, a heavily manipulated image, if beautiful and seamless, put up on the wall of a photo gallery.. trounces the hell out of a non pp'ed image out of camera that is not quite so beautiful. the point - it is the amount of merit it has, not what you have done to it. the manipulated images that i cannot stand, are those which are done poorly.

1. There are medium format SLR's. As for 35 mm, people can use real polaroid cameras to do previews.

2. Of course there's more than one decisive moment. But the question is, are you confident of catching them, or do you use burst every time because you're afraid you'll miss them?

isn't that for medium format only? or slr also can?

i fear the "decisive moment" thing has been taken too seriously.. roger hicks from AP once retorted that "If there really were only one decisive moment, one would only ever take a single photograph of any subject.". cheers

There is 35mm NPC polaroid back for 35mm film cameras, but it is not as convenient using it like medium format cameras system, so you need one camera to shoot film, one camera to shoot polaroid for test shots, and the back itself cost more the the camera body most of the time, I remember the back is selling about $900, and the Nikon FM is only $450.00 in the 80's

Actually, it is because I'm lazy that I want to get everything right before I press the shutter button. Summore, I subscribe to the "one-shot, one-kill" school of thought.

I find post-processing too much of a hassle, lah.

in fact i have seen some photog self-pwned themself using full manual mode .... doesn't mean they know what they are doing .

Don't think our brain can remember all the exact exposure for each of the 1001 scenes . Using aperture , shutter or even P mode sometime u can find tune the exposure while concentrating on getting that split sec "moments" . Ya it's said that during the long long before u were born time photog only have M mode to shoot with average metering ... then whats the point of spending few thousand dollars on yr digital slr ? :bsmilie:

imho

If I were a photographer - then yes I am indeed lazy. However, I consider myself a camera tourist. Point and click in what ever direction I feel like without thought. Take loads of photos now that we have a digital medium where I can delete the rubbish I don't like.

However, I always admire the fine work that many of you post on this site and one day will look at photography in a more technical light when time permits.

Have a happy photo year:)

Oh noooo Lady Ice! If anyone saw you and what you do at FULL marathons fending for our fragile earth, the word 'lazy' would have to be re-defined just because of you!

Merry Christmas!

There are certain things that cannot be changed with the computer.

E.g. Perspective.
Stitching 3 photos together doesn't make a wide angle shot.

I had selected the 2nd option :)

Guess can see from the shutter count on my camera. After more than 6 months, it is still below 1k :embrass:

Partly is maybe due to my poor photoshop skill and laziness in using it, that is why I try to get it right @ first rather than finding my ways to do heavy retouching. I do admit I did some simple retouch to make the shots look a little better and it just cost me about 5mins for it.

Well, I guess all our opinion are quite different and let's just accept the fact and happily shooting in the coming years :)

Merry Christmas :D

Actually, it is because I'm lazy that I want to get everything right before I press the shutter button. Summore, I subscribe to the "one-shot, one-kill" school of thought.

I find post-processing too much of a hassle, lah.
Haha .... i belong to your category ....:think:
in fact, most of the time i don't even bother to look at the LCD, think it's a waste of time, ...:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.