After the railway shoot we head to this Yan Kit Swimming Complex.
History
Yan Kit Swimming Complex was built by the City Council for $513,000 and was officially opened by then Governor of Singapore, John Nicoll and City Council president, T.P.F. McNeice on 29 December 1952. It was named after a Canton-born dentist Mr Look Yan Kit who came to Singapore in 1877 and was involved in the founding of the Kwong Wai Shiu Free Hospital in 1910.
The complex, which occupies a 14,859-sq-m plot of land was built on an old railway site off Cantonment Road and contains three pools, a single-storey clubhouse and three other buildings which house toilets and showers. The pools were lined up in a row with diving platforms at one end and a lifeguard watchtower cum slide between two of the pools.
In 1994, the National Trades Union Congress Club announced plans to lease the pool and redevelop it part of its new clubhouse at a cost of $6 million, but it never materialised.
In April 2001, Singapore Sports Council (SSC) decided to close the pool and return it to the state because attendance had dwindled to an average of 120 daily and it was becoming too expensive to maintain. The foundation of the pools had deteriorated, making spot repairs ineffective. SSC estimated that it would cost S$400,000 to maintain and operate the complex annually and S$4 million to upgrade the entire complex.
In a move to give new life to old sports facilities, the SSC announced in 2005 that the complex was opened for possible development by private developers.
Significance
When it first opened, pool users had to pay 15 cents per entry. According to a former pool supervisor, the complex was so popular that there was only standing room and a two-hour limit was imposed on swimmers. On Tuesdays, the pool was opened only to women and girls who were too shy to appear in their bathing suits in front of men.
Before Yan Kit Swimming Complex, Singapore only had one other public swimming facility at the Mount Emily Swimming Complex that was built in the 1930s.
People
The pools first supervisor was Lee Hong Ming, who was a founding member of the Singapore Life Guard Corps and had served as pool supervisor at the Mount Emily Swimming Complex.
Author
Justin Zhuang