Appalling attitude of a Professional Photographer at NUS Commencement 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on your latest post..I think I get what TS is saying...

It's easier to understand the intention of the photog from his tone and body language than just what he said. In other words, condescending? If he weren't he would at least stop to look at your shots and advice proper, not a one liner that's obviously belittling your equipment.

Not sure why you guys are even bashing TS without giving him the benefit of doubt.

In any case, built-in flash should more than suffice for fill-in flash, barring wide angle coverage. Not sure if the photog's trying to be funny.

Does your friends like your pictures? If they like it, then OK already la.

As for such people, they always exist. Just ignore them lo.

From the way you posted.

I hate to say you are the type who reacts strongly to comments.

If he really wants to put you down, he would not have whisper to you but straight away say it aloud in front of everyone to show that he is pro what he say is correct and he is a class above u all amateurs.

So i agree with Johnathan, a typical mummy's boy ranting in this forum.

Look. he dun get paid for whispering those words to you neither he gets anything out of it (fame? nah!)? I dun sense any hostility from his actions.

I hate to say this but, what are you to him? He is a professional paid to do his job while you are just an amateur hobbist, what 'harm' can you do to his rice bowl?

Besides he may be indeed right, he definitely used up more shutter counts then you do and experience different types of lighting conditions.

Open up your mind and stop being so narrow minded. Take criticism as a form of advise to allow you to improve then you will go further in this path should you decision to go into photography biz.

Last edited:
chill. what his intentions for telling u that, we will never know. just let it slide if u think he is being a pr*ck. nothing to get worked up over. i get people advising me everytime and i am glad they do regardless what they say.

and i don't think it matters what camera he is using. i met a sony a900 user during an event coverage who thought he was the only person covering it and was blocking everyone's shot. he will still be an a$$ if he uses a canon. the idiot is behind the camera.

Frankly, if he said something like "maybe you can try to increase ur flash by one stop" or "use a direct flash instead of a bounce card", I would have been happy and probably shook his hand and thanked him. I was just amused to receive an "advice" about my "weak flash" giving "dark" images from someone who didn't even have a flash gun!

u are having a flash gun while he dun doesn't means he is not correct.

Do you know what without a flash gun i can still shoot in low light using a wide aperture lens (bump up ISO) but of cos with a flash gun will have better photos.

I dun know what is the condition that time when this happen btw u and that pro but he may thinks that there is no need to use a flash gun at that point of time and hence did not use one.

I seen alot of kiddies, buy ex equipments and put on a flash gun walk down orchard road without using the cam at all but simply just to pose and show off to his peers and act pro. So does that means they know how to use a flash gun properly? Yes? No? For all you know, the pro might be just reminding you that your usage is not correct.

----

Side track.

I was buying my 135mm tat day at Cathay Photo and saw this kid and his dad. The kid wanted to buy a 5DMKII. In front of him got 35mm f1/4 and 50mm f1/8, then after seeing him fiddling a while, he told his dad he wanted the 35mm f f1/4. The dad told him, u know who much everything this cost? You sure you need this lens?

Guess what he told his dad?

"Dad, this will makes me look pro! The other lens is so plastic, ppl will laugh at me if i use it on my 5DMKII".

His dad refuted. "Wait till you are a pro first then you come ask me buy". So either you get your 5DMKII with the other lens or you pay for yourself. End up the kid suck thumb.

---

Bottomline,

Have or dun have equipment but are you correctly using it to get the photos you are? <- This is the question and this could be why the pro is whispering to you about.

Last edited:
Hi,

I understand that no flash doesn't guarantee black face. But he did shoot a few shots with the students WITH the mortarboards, which made me question his credibility from the start.

I shot at about 1/125s which isn't exactly HSS. It was fast enough to ensure the face wasn't blurred from the slight movements, but slow enough to produce blurred motion effects from the moving mortarboards.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, what advice did you dispense?

Thanks for your reply.
Ok, why don't you next time take a cold shower first, drink a can of ice cold beer, slowly write the whole story down, than read it again before you post, see got any thing missing out or not.

chill. what his intentions for telling u that, we will never know. just let it slide if u think he is being a pr*ck. nothing to get worked up over. i get people advising me everytime and i am glad they do regardless what they say.

and i don't think it matters what camera he is using. i met a sony a900 user during an event coverage who thought he was the only person covering it and was blocking everyone's shot. he will still be an a$$ if he uses a canon. the idiot is behind the camera.

I suppose..there will be genuine good guys and those who arnt...we can't judge doesn't mean we can't tell them apart. Not everyone knows what constructive criticism is.

That part true though...time to let it go :)

Over react is what i see.

The sentences "my shots are free" is the killer.......... imagine you are the one who needs to make ends meet, then someone walk over and say "hey i am free"....... will you be pissed off??

From the way you posted.

I hate to say you are the type who reacts strongly to comments.

Hmm, just out of curiousity, how did you derive this conclusion?

If he really wants to put you down, he would not have whisper to you but straight away say it aloud in front of everyone to show that he is pro what he say is correct and he is a class above u all amateurs.

So i agree with Johnathan, a typical mummy's boy ranting in this forum.

Erm, as I've mentioned, he didn't whisper. at least 2 of my friends heard it.

Look. he dun get paid for whispering those words to you neither he gets anything out of it (fame? nah!)? I dun sense any hostility from his actions.

Again there are infinite ways to say a sentence. As I've mentioned a few posts ago, it was the way he said it that peeved me. You sound like you are slightly prejudiced against me from the words you have used in this post, hence I'm not sure how much I can convince you, and probably I don't need to.

I hate to say this but, what are you to him? He is a professional paid to do his job while you are just an amateur hobbist, what 'harm' can you do to his rice bowl?

I can definitely affect it a bit.
There was at least 10 people in my group and they aren't buying from him after they saw my shots.

Frankly I wont call myself amateur, but neither will I call myself a photographer because I dont find myself having the quality of the really good photographers. Personally I find the term "Photographer" overused and diluted. Hence I refuse to label myself one until I personally find myself having achieve a certain standard. I have done some freelance work of my own and I do have some happy clients.

Besides he may be indeed right, he definitely used up more shutter counts then you do and experience different types of lighting conditions.

Open up your mind and stop being so narrow minded. Take criticism as a form of advise to allow you to improve then you will go further in this path should you decision to go into photography biz.

That may be debatable. Although shutter counts may be related to experience and hence good quality pictures, it is not always true.

I am not narrow minded. I do take a lot of criticism constructively. I was just unhappy at the way he said it.

Before you hit the reply button, I hope you can pause and take a while and think and remove any prejudice you have against this "mommy's boy".

The sentences "my shots are free" is the killer.......... imagine you are the one who needs to make ends meet, then someone walk over and say "hey i am free"....... will you be pissed off??

I don't see what is wrong with that? There are at least a million people with DSLRs at the ceremony. He has already left the group when I started shooting.

And if his pictures are really that good, clients will flock to him. If my pictures are bad, my friends will go to him naturally.

Frankly, I believe that as a photographer, you should maintain professionalism, like many occupations out there.

I don't see what is wrong with that? There are at least a million people with DSLRs at the ceremony. He has already left the group when I started shooting.

And if his pictures are really that good, clients will flock to him. If my pictures are bad, my friends will go to him naturally.

Frankly, I believe that as a photographer, you should maintain professionalism, like many occupations out there.

never mind.... u will never understand base on what u post.

aimevous...did he said that with a condescending tone?

Last edited:
Maybe he was peeved that I was "stealing" his business, but WTF these people graduating are my closest friends!

This shows how narrow minded you are.

Like i mention, who are you to him? Hes paid to do his job and he is not obliged to tell u anything even he saw a fault. And how would you threaten his rice bowl?

And WTF, you probably felt loss of face in front of your friends to be told or whispered by this pro.

To think this way shows how narrow minded you are to come to this conclusion as above. :)

-Period-

outta this mummy's boy rant thread.

Last edited:

Is he telling ppl that his biz is affected by your shooting? Its your assumption.

Your EGO is probably flatten because he 'told you off' in front of your friends.

So as a pro photographer, he should leave you alone and do his photo shoot job right? :bsmilie:

ok i had enough. Outta this thread.

Last edited:

Actually no link, unless TS mentioned it out within earshot (it means the photog can hear) to the photog, like, on purpose -then that's a really mean thing to do.
Only TS will know, otherwise..what's wrong with telling your friends that your shots are free?

Typical CS herd mentality.

I get his point, and he was just talking about bad service attitude, or snobbish behavior.

I don't see why so many people have to gang up on the TS, calling it a "mummy's boy" rant, and saying that someone was just giving advice.

Were you there at the scene? Did you see what happened? Take everything with a grain of salt please, even if you agree or not, I don't see the need for a TS-bashing session.

Maybe if you were in the shoes of the TS, you might have been peeved too when someone treated you unfairly.

And truth to be told, what is truly appalling is the behavior of the members here who have resorted to name-calling and utter lack of etiquette in their replies. You hiding behind a computer doesn't mean you have the right to act as if you were of superior statuses.

I get his point, and he was just talking about bad service attitude, or snobbish behavior.

I don't see why so many people have to gang up on the TS, calling it a "mummy's boy" rant, and saying that someone was just giving advice.

Were you there at the scene? Did you see what happened? Take everything with a grain of salt please, even if you agree or not, I don't see the need for a TS-bashing session.

Maybe if you were in the shoes of the TS, you might have been peeved too when someone treated you unfairly.

And truth to be told, what is truly appalling is the behavior of the members here who have resorted to name-calling and utter lack of etiquette in their replies. You hiding behind a computer doesn't mean you have the right to act as if you were of superior statuses.

ok i am not bashing.

i read what he posted and commented.

See #34 and #35 whether i make sense?

He keeps having this proud mindset that he thinks/feels that the pro feels that TS presence threatens his (pro) livelihood. How wrong can this mindset be?

So I seriously doubt what actually happen since he can thinks this way.

And i am not hiding behind my monitor.

I posted my photos here before and there is links to my facebook account in some photos i posted in here.

If I am out to bash, i will be smart to know i have all these links that will linked back to me.

Last edited:

I second that.

Actually no link, unless TS mentioned it out within earshot (it means the photog can hear) to the photog, like, on purpose -then that's a really mean thing to do.
Only TS will know, otherwise..what's wrong with telling your friends that your shots are free?

now, imagine the photographer walk from 5 meter out and came back say what TS mention??

TS mention many are holding DSLRs in that event, PnS also have..... so the photographer must be damn busy shooting ppl off with sure dark face, flash too weak etc......

Status
Not open for further replies.