Anything Zeiss....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
I noticed there is no thread here showcasing Zeiss images. So I'll start one. Anything from the modern Zeiss, Sony ZA to the vintage Contax, Rollei. I would think there is also space for Hasselbald 645, Contax 645, Ikon M39, Contax G and Zeiss Jena. Film scanned or digital. In short, anything to do with Zeiss. While other forums are going bonkers over Zeiss, I cannot believe that there isn't a single thread here on it.

Shall we?

[edit] To make it more meaningful, do include the exif info and a few thoughts on your subject and lens used.

Last edited:
This thread is starting nicely. Here is my recently taken image from Contax 85/1.4 MMG wide open at night. Focus on the right eye. DoF is so thin. Very sharp. But I am not so happy with the oblong OoF lights at the edges. I wonder if the ZE 85/1.4's OoF lights at the edges are also oblong or round?

U want to consider the Contax 85/1.2?

U want to consider the Contax 85/1.2?

hah...that's too exotic. I am actually considering Contax N 85/1.4 until I notice the clipped off bokeh. Now have to research to ensure this is only unique to CY85. But if you have picts, please let our eyes be filled with tears of envy. :)

Last edited:
5549775297_c9676e4219.jpg

Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5

5549775285_3eee0274db.jpg

Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5

5549775277_b38173b5b9.jpg

Zeiss 21mm Biogon f2.8

Zeiss 2010 photo competition winning entries
http://www.zeiss.com/cln

I have yet to try any Zeiss Z* lenses. On my want list is that ZE 21 but the price is on the high side and I don't use 21mm all the time so may put this off till a later time.

Since you have almost every Contax and Rollei lenses, have you done a comparison between CY 35/1.4 and Rollei 35/1.4? I have read that the latter is better. How would the triangular blades appears at night - triangular or rounded highlights?

Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5

Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar f1.5

Zeiss 21mm Biogon f2.8

Are these taken with Leica? 1.3x or FF?

Last edited:
Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f.4 P6 mount with a arax tilt adapter on the 7D
5544261322_b893b2dfb4_z.jpg

Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f.4 P6 mount with a arax tilt adapter on the 7D

You probably applied some tilt to this capture. How good are the Jena compared to those from W Germany? Does the later Russian Kiev lenses retain the Zeiss characteristics?

Last edited:
I have yet to try any Zeiss Z* lenses. On my want list is that ZE 21 but the price is on the high side and I don't use 21mm all the time so may put this off till a later time.

Since you have almost every Contax and Rollei lenses, have you done a comparison between CY 35/1.4 and Rollei 35/1.4? I have read that the latter is better. How would the triangular blades appears at night - triangular or rounded highlights?

I just like to take photos with Zeiss optics and never really bother to do very scientific comparisons. Also I do not have a FF DSLR to do quick comparisons, as least on resolution. I do find Rollei Zeiss a bit colder and C/Y Zeiss a bit warmer. As for the triangle blades, I only have two day examples as shown here http://www.fuwen.net/photos_gallery...FT&PHPSESSID=965f8f942259ca539f5b5117fa894b30 look at the background on the 2 human shots. It is definitely triangular : )

Last edited:
This thread is starting nicely. Here is my recently taken image from Contax 85/1.4 MMG wide open at night. I am not so happy with the oblong OoF lights at the edges. I wonder if the MMJ, ZE 85/1.4 and CY 100/2 OoF lights at the edges are also oblong or round?

5558840661_1627ac8f21_z.jpg

Guess the CZ 100/2 OOf lights are also round @ Full aperture at the edges too. Perhaps this is the characteristics of Zeiss optics.

Nanjing Huang Sujia Dancing Arts School Crop & Resize Image IMG_1936 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr

Last edited:
Guess the CZ 100/2 OOf lights are also round @ Full aperture at the edges too. Perhaps this is the characteristics of Zeiss optics.

I am interested in those highlights around the edges. As you can see, the CY is round in the center but around the edges are oval. Is this the same for CY100/2 as well. The 85/1.4 has an hexagon shape at f2 across frame. It is only round only when wide open and even so only around the center. I like round highlights. Don't know why it did not maintain the even shapes across frame. Anyway, not a major problem. Just have to be careful with those highlights.

Last edited:
You probably applied some tilt to this capture. How good are the Jena compared to those from W Germany? Does the later Russian Kiev lenses retain the Zeiss characteristics?
Yes I did a 8 degree tilt to the left of the frame. This was the first few practice shots. I realise that it is not pin sharp wide open, but that is expected of as the Flektogon 50mm is a wide angle lens on MF. I found this lens in a small 2nd shop in Moscow. The lens came with a leather container and doc stating it left the assembly line on the 18/06/1979.

I have not tried W Germany CZ. I mainly collect the Jena. As for russian lenses; these are some of my observations:

Jupiter 6 & 6-2 (in M39 & M42 respectively) are copies of CZJ Sonnar 180mm f2.8 P6 mount. If you get a good copy, they are quite sharp fully open. I tired one before. too heavy to use without a tripod/monopod.

Helios 44 series are copies of Zeiss Biotar 58mm, if you find nice sharp and contrasty one with swirly bokeh, it is quite a nice cheap lens to play with. That was how I got started with manual lenses.

Another interesting lens is the Zenitar-M 50mm f1.7. It is a copy of the Helios 44, which is a copy of the Biotar. Kind of like my primary school maths homework.. copied twice... hahaha. But it is quite sharp fully open.

Helios 44 series are copies of Zeiss Biotar 58mm, if you find nice sharp and contrasty one with swirly bokeh, it is quite a nice cheap lens to play with. That was how I got started with manual lenses.

Does all 44m-6 have this swirly bokeh or there is sample variation? Do you adapt these Helios to DSLR or RF?

I am discussing Helios here since they are direct descendent of Zeiss Jena. If someone objects then we move this discussion elsewhere. :)

Jena Flektagons are interesting wide angles. I found the medium format 50/4 and the 35mm format 20/2.8 have less corner pull when putting a human face over there compared to the West Germany counter parts, despite that the W Germany ones should be more corrected for distortion. Personally I found the Jena has less contrast that the West Germans, still ok for high contrast medium like film and digital sensors, less punchy on film negatives.

Does all 44m-6 have this swirly bokeh or there is sample variation? Do you adapt these Helios to DSLR or RF?
I do not know if all 44 have swirly bokeh, so far I have used 2 44's before and both swirl. one sold, other gave to a friend. I attached them to my canon via EOS-M42 adapter ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.