anyone tried shooting entire weddings without flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zaxh81 said:
pardon my ignorance but what is flash with strobe returns?:)
ahhahaha no idea man.. but trust me lar, my flash was on. but when flash isn't on, it will say "Flash Mode : No Flash"

that's when you right click and go properties from windows, which is wat u did rite? :)

yanyewkay said:
Up to 10?! :bigeyes: I know (from my limited experience in taking photos)that S3Pro the current 'king of DR' can pull a 4 stop stunt. Even so, one will have to shoot in raw and recover the hilights then shadows and combined the 2 back into the same photo.

But 10?!:eek: :sweat: Multiple frame exposure + CS2 HDR is not counted.:sweatsm:

edit: Just found out that the DR of human eyes is around 15 stops.

Here is a website for your reference. I was a little off on the dynamic range. I think this will enlighten you.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

i recomand you use a good system that enables you to shoot with usable iso1600 with fast primes like 35 1.4, 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, 85 1.2 or 1.8, a 20mm 1.8 and a 135 f2 or a 70-200 2.8 IS. Should not be a problem to shoot weddings without flash.

Also your clients should not like to do table shots and posed shots so you need not need to stop down your aperture too much. i like to shoot at f2 for most of my primes, i can gather shutter speeds between 1/30 to 1/80 depending on situations.

Best if you have an 2nd shooter to cover the tradional shots and you should be able to shoot weddings without using exteral lights.

Addtional tip Paul, you can request your couples to lit up higher when indoors, most places you can set the lights higher.

i have shot some weddings without flash as well. no sweat but i was using the 20D most of the way. its has addtional 1 1/3 stop advantage in RAW (for my personal reference).

Belle&Sebastain said:
i recomand you use a good system that enables you to shoot with usable iso1600 with fast primes like 35 1.4, 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, 85 1.2 or 1.8, a 20mm 1.8 and a 135 f2 or a 70-200 2.8 IS. Should not be a problem to shoot weddings without flash.

Also your clients should not like to do table shots and posed shots so you need not need to stop down your aperture too much. i like to shoot at f2 for most of my primes, i can gather shutter speeds between 1/30 to 1/80 depending on situations.

Best if you have an 2nd shooter to cover the tradional shots and you should be able to shoot weddings without using exteral lights.

Addtional tip Paul, you can request your couples to lit up higher when indoors, most places you can set the lights higher.

i have shot some weddings without flash as well. no sweat but i was using the 20D most of the way. its has addtional 1 1/3 stop advantage in RAW (for my personal reference).
And you need to adjust White Balance so often if you are not using flash. Unless you are only in one building with the same type of light.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
And you need to adjust White Balance so often if you are not using flash. Unless you are only in one building with the same type of light.

Regards,
Arto.

Or maybe the final printing output will most probably in B&W. :think:

Artosoft said:

Regards,
Arto.

i shoot in Raw and outdoors are fine when indoors with mixed lighting, that's the challenge but i adjust my pictures one by one.

Artosoft said:

Regards,
Arto.

Yep. I tried.. Gave up after a few minutes. :)

Seriously I agree with R2. I tested ROM before... outside the waiting area have okay WB and then suddenly very yellowish inside the room. I preset on outside light. Not skillful enough and no money to buy fast lens so sticking to flash. :bheart:

jdredd said:
that is correct, digital now has far better dynamic range than film does.

to the original poster, i dont see why you couldnt shoot a whole wedding without flash.

you would need a camera that has workable high ISO 800 or 1600, big aperture lens , Image stabilisation would also be helpful.
i tried to shoot a few pics without flash and i set my iso to 800 and 1600.. turns out the wedding dinner pics very very grainy.. i think with flash results is still better. just my 2cents thought:sweat:

Belle&Sebastain said:
not really, i use B/W when i want to "drama" or mood the picture.

A couple of question to ask here B&S (for short).:) As I noticed those champagne poping moments, do you shoot at very high ISO (like 1600) plus flash too in order to freeze the cork?
And also some of the indoor people scene looks acceptable grainy too but hardly saw any flash used. You use high ISO for that too? Hope can learn from your experience here. Many thanks:)

Thanks once again for sharing with us B&S (for short). Much appreciated.:) And not forgetting to see your future pics update.

boen said:
i tried to shoot a few pics without flash and i set my iso to 800 and 1600.. turns out the wedding dinner pics very very grainy.. i think with flash results is still better. just my 2cents thought:sweat:
Exactly...

Why you want to take a risk for once in a lifetime (hopefully) moment... Flash is not taboo for weeding right ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

dawgbyte77 said:
Yep. I tried.. Gave up after a few minutes. :)

Seriously I agree with R2. I tested ROM before... outside the waiting area have okay WB and then suddenly very yellowish inside the room. I preset on outside light. Not skillful enough and no money to buy fast lens so sticking to flash. :bheart:

one trick is to preset your white balance indoors first and shoot the outdoors with auto w/b.

once inside, quickly turn your custom w/b to the reset indoors and there you have it.:)

Artosoft said:
Exactly...

Why you want to take a risk for once in a lifetime (hopefully) moment... Flash is not taboo for weeding right ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

its distracting sometimes when you need certain candid shots of certain type of guests that will turn their heads and posed for you once they see you and the couple, well, to each its own!;)

Belle&Sebastain said:
its distracting sometimes when you need certain candid shots of certain type of guests that will turn their heads and posed for you once they see you and the couple, well, to each its own!;)
You need to let them know not to shy for the couple. That's the photographer strong point to take a good photo...

Show them your photo with ASA1600 and the flash, and let the couple choose.

Regards,
Arto.

Belle&Sebastain said:
one trick is to preset your white balance indoors first and shoot the outdoors with auto w/b.

once inside, quickly turn your custom w/b to the reset indoors and there you have it.:)

Oh... this is both indoors (2nd floor). Its outside and inside the ROM room. Good thing I did mixed flash n non-flash. Whew!

Artosoft said:
You need to let them know not to shy for the couple. That's the photographer strong point to take a good photo...

Show them your photo with ASA1600 and the flash, and let the couple choose.

Regards,
Arto.

i keep to myself mostly when i'm working, i dun distrub my clients nor their guests, my type of photojournalism photography.

dawgbyte77 said:
Oh... this is both indoors (2nd floor). Its outside and inside the ROM room. Good thing I did mixed flash n non-flash. Whew!

when mixed lighting i have the instrict to flash but the background will either be red,yellow or blue (depending on what mixed light you kenna) but sometimes flash dun cut it too esp when i need the backround elements to work and they are of a different colour cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.