Anyone tried Brenizer Method using a range finder?

nysheng

Sep 11, 2006
Hi guys, I just read this post in the Portraits section abt someone using the Brenizer method. I'm just wondering if it can be done using a rangefinder. more specifically the leica m8. I mean, a leica m8 with for example a nokton 50mm f1.1 should in theory work right?

are there any potential drawbacks that I missed?
cause essentially the Brenizer method is just using a telephoto lens with super large aperture and stitching many shots together, no?

Hi guys, I just read this post in the Portraits section abt someone using the Brenizer method. I'm just wondering if it can be done using a rangefinder. more specifically the leica m8. I mean, a leica m8 with for example a nokton 50mm f1.1 should in theory work right?

cause essentially the Brenizer method is just using a telephoto lens with super large aperture and stitching many shots together, no?

Don't see why it won't work but you might run out of buffer space before you are done with the required number of photos... :)

Unless you keep adjusting focus you will have a semi circle DOF. AF SLR can minimize this somewhat because you can move the AF point unlike rangefinder where you are stuck with the patch in the middle

sabrewolf said:
Unless you keep adjusting focus you will have a semi circle DOF. AF SLR can minimize this somewhat because you can move the AF point unlike rangefinder where you are stuck with the patch in the middle

Brenuzer method you have to use manual focus.

No reason why it can't be done, don't know how much the vignetting at 1.1 would affect your stitching though :)

hmm.. but if it's increased to say 1.2 or maybe 1.4, vignetting shouldn't occur... I think.

according to Ryan Brenizer, he presses the af-hold button, but putting it into manual works too I guess. in fact should be faster right?

regarding the m8's buffer space. that will not be an issue since we are doing one shot after another with maybe a half sec between shots? a foreseeable problem I think would be the write speed..if taking 10 or more shots with half sec between shots, can the camera take it?

regarding the m8's buffer space. that will not be an issue since we are doing one shot after another with maybe a half sec between shots? a foreseeable problem I think would be the write speed..if taking 10 or more shots with half sec between shots, can the camera take it?

Have you seen videos of how the guy shoots this? It's like machine gun speed, I'm pretty sure the m8 won't be able to cope with those speeds. Of course you can take your time but if your subjects are moving then it's a little harder.

As for vignetting, I believe you can use photoshop's photomerge automation to correct it automatically upon stitching.

Just go and try it out, really don't see why it won't work.

Remember to shoot in small jpg. I have done brenizer on my nikon and the resultant file was close to 60mp even with small jp. So unless u have a supercomputer!

I did this sometime ago with the M8.2. I didn't remember having any problems with buffer or anything except the bug where the camera hangs if you shoot continuously rapidly - which has been fixed with a firmware upgrade.

014e17c1299579f194e105973c3bc427_large.jpg

I did this sometime ago with the M8.2. I didn't remember having any problems with buffer or anything except the bug where the camera hangs if you shoot continuously rapidly - which has been fixed with a firmware upgrade.

014e17c1299579f194e105973c3bc427_large.jpg

great one paisatge! now, the real question is this: is someone gonna try this on a film camera and scotch tape? :)

This is very good! can i assume u shot with jpeg? what lens were u using and how long did u have to wait between shots? or was it continuous for the entire image?