Anyone has DIY filter holder for your 14-24mm lens?

This is what I'm working on, a bastar dized version of lozzmann's using 100mm PVC pipe and socket:
http://lozzmann.blogspot.com/2009/09/cokin-x-pro-filter-rig-mark-ii-nikon-14.html
Cokin products are tough to find considering they were in financial trouble and recently got bought over by Hoya/Tokina
May be awhile before product stocks recover
The universal ring has just about disappeared from any sale market ;p
If you're keen on filters however, can custom make from Formatt/Hitech; had a 6 stop delivered to me custom cut although oddly I've been sticking to using my welding glass instead

I like this idea.....I'll have to look into something like this for my 14mm Samyang.....:)
Cheers

Hey george, thanks for dropping in the discussion
IIRC the Sigma 12-24 and the Samyang 14mm can simply use a modified lens cap to mount filters on without vignetting, i.e. cut the top off the cap and then glue the holder of choice on it
Much discussed in other photo forums and also Flickr discussions. Good luck DIY-ing :)

Hi George, 4.5" seem to be too small for 14-24mm and ya agree that quality should not be compromised since i have already spend so much on the lens. I suspect the lens from http://www.optics.sg is of pro-quality like Lee filter, however it is still overpriced. If they can lowered the price to $200, i do not mind trying out.

Oh ya i have started to build my rig and about 50-60% completed. I'll need to buy few pieces of acrylic later from ArtFriend as filter holder.

Here's my design. Quite simple actually and it should work.
p454111509-4.jpg

Good luck on the DIY.....I just wish Nikon would think to build in rear filter threads like the old 16mm fisheye...That lens was great...Just screw in the filter and you were good to go....My Nikon 300 f2.8 has a special drawer for filters ....I'm sure Nikon could have figured out how to do it with the 14-24 if they really wanted to.....

Cheers:)

george671 said:
Good luck on the DIY.....I just wish Nikon would think to build in rear filter threads like the old 16mm fisheye...That lens was great...Just screw in the filter and you were good to go....My Nikon 300 f2.8 has a special drawer for filters ....I'm sure Nikon could have figured out how to do it with the 14-24 if they really wanted to.....

Cheers:)

How abt sq GND filters? That is more of the reason for DIY unlike those birding wildlife lenses.

I just purchase a 14-24f2.8 ... anyone can advise on any alternate filter holder currently available?

Do I need 150mm filter sizes??

I managed to get Cokin pro-x ND grad filter from a bro who posted here in 2009 for sale and i also managed to get a third party holder from Artworkphoto. DIY adapter works although not very nice, works quite well with the holder and filter.

Picture taken with 14-24 + ND grad filter.

p77137077.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to get Cokin pro-x ND grad filter from a bro who posted here in 2009 for sale and i also managed to get a third party holder from Artworkphoto. DIY adapter works although not very nice, works quite well with the holder and filter.

Picture taken with 14-24 + ND grad filter.

hi subZero, can you post some picture of your DIY holder so we all can benefits?? thanks alot.

Sorry for late reply. it's based on the two plastic container design which i have posted earlier.

Here are the pictures of how it look like taken with my phone, the finishing is not very good though.

p32740136-4.jpg

p28606945-4.jpg