Anyone gets paranoid like me while travelling?

Dun be too paranoid Joelle06. Can sense you are very scared.

Definitely need to take some basic precautions but that's it, you will be fine. It's not as bad as sometimes it sounds.

Robbers? They are everywhere! Europe also. But surely you will use some good common sense on what to do to avoid being robbed.

Dun be over worried. Or else, I can tell you, you won't enjoy Europe at all. Things you can control, do so. Things you can't, let it be. Yes you may be robbed. Yes, despite being careful, there's still a slight chance you will let your guard down occasionally and may be pickpocketed. Yes, your plane may be delayed. But these are experiences. As with life.
thanks kiwi2.. Mabbe I have been waiting for this trip for quite some time so cant afford to get disappointed. Things like volcano eruption that caused flights cancellation. :( Otherwise, I m all planned! :D

thanks kiwi2.. Mabbe I have been waiting for this trip for quite some time so cant afford to get disappointed. Things like volcano eruption that caused flights cancellation. :( Otherwise, I m all planned! :D

Yes, so just go and enjoy! I'm sure you will. Just remember, common sense applies for safety. All else, take them as they come. Other than these, nothing else really! Europe is nice. :)

Nikkornos said:
Talking about credit card, maybe you have not been robbed before, the robber will put a knife on your neck to the nearest ATM.
My friend in London was stabbed three times when he refused to let the robber take money from his account.

Hmm.
Then perhaps the best way is just to bring enough but little cash for the day and no credit card.
Afterall, how much money would you need for a day? Depending on what you planned to do, usually bringing a few hundred in cash would be more than enough.
Unless you are a shopper.
I am not a shopper so I never need a lot of cash in a day.
Actually I don't bring out my card sometimes when I don't need it too.
But actually I am not so worried in Europe.
Europe is considered mild and safe compared to a lot of other places!
Robbers are not that common.
More common are thieves and pickpockets who just prey on the unaware but offer no life threat.
My friend got his stuff stolen a few times but when he saw the thief, he chased him down and he managed to get back his things.

Hmm.
Then perhaps the best way is just to bring enough but little cash for the day and no credit card.
Afterall, how much money would you need for a day? Depending on what you planned to do, usually bringing a few hundred in cash would be more than enough.
Unless you are a shopper.
I am not a shopper so I never need a lot of cash in a day.
Actually I don't bring out my card sometimes when I don't need it too.
But actually I am not so worried in Europe.
Europe is considered mild and safe compared to a lot of other places!
Robbers are not that common.
More common are thieves and pickpockets who just prey on the unaware but offer no life threat.
My friend got his stuff stolen a few times but when he saw the thief, he chased him down and he managed to get back his things.

thanks wuffruff for ur advises.

I am goin to London end of the mth and it's my first time there. This is the first place that I hear more -ve things as compared to other places. I am more concerned abt safety, pickpockets than natural catastrophes. Furthermore I have my 2 kids wif me so that already take up half my attention.

I must say that the "drop coin" tactic is a good one. I most likely will be lookin at it too...

All I can do is just to be alert and pray everyday.
If it happens, it happens lor... Learn and move on.

Yes, golden rule: bring enough for the day can liao... the rest will in the hotel.

Thanks...

thanks wuffruff for ur advises.

I am goin to London end of the mth and it's my first time there. This is the first place that I hear more -ve things as compared to other places. I am more concerned abt safety, pickpockets than natural catastrophes. Furthermore I have my 2 kids wif me so that already take up half my attention.

I must say that the "drop coin" tactic is a good one. I most likely will be lookin at it too...

All I can do is just to be alert and pray everyday.
If it happens, it happens lor... Learn and move on.

Yes, golden rule: bring enough for the day can liao... the rest will in the hotel.

Thanks...
Thanks all.. reading more news is the reason that make me paranoid though. Iceland Hekla and Kalta volcano is showing sign of unrest. The latter will be 10 times worse than last May's eruption that cause huge disruption in flights.

Joelle06 said:
Thanks all.. reading more news is the reason that make me paranoid though. Iceland Hekla and Kalta volcano is showing sign of unrest. The latter will be 10 times worse than last May's eruption that cause huge disruption in flights.

Hi, just came back from my europe trip 2 months ago. I'm practically a skinny guy totally not fit at all, went with my gf just the 2 of us. Madrid Barcelona Paris London Venice Rome were our destinations.

Came back fine without losing anything at all. Zero incidents. Zero casualties. Everything was fine and we had a lot of fun. Throughhout the trip we used sling bags, putting our bags in front of us for better attention to it. Hp and cash in my jeans front pocket, nothing behind as well. Dressed casually and didn't look like some typical tourist and travelled anywhere we wanted. Went back to our hotels daily after 10, befor midnight.

Advice, just be confident of yourselves and stay alert and you will be really fine in those places. Maybe my gf and I were lucky but still I think it's pretty okay if you stay confident and don't look vulnerable.

Oh, also you can save on other areas when you don't travel with expensive stuff.
You don't have to buy travel insurance, esp. since it is always a hassle claiming and may not be successful.
Just buy a accident and infectious disease policy.
It covers you for one year much cheaper than insurance.
The one expensive thing that I regretted buying for my trip is travel insurance.

Personally, I don't agree with that. I think travel insurance is very important. Experienced it myself as one of my bags with camera and passport was stolen while I was having my first meal in London last month. Managed to claim full for my passport replacement as well as 50% for my camera since I have lost the original receipt.

Do be careful even when you are in an empty restaurant. Due to jetlag, I decided to have my first meal at a restaurant (The pattisere or something like that)that looked empty when I reach Glouchester Road. Not being racist here, but the restaurant was basically manned by Indian immigrants. Was directed to sit at a corner with no one around me. After the meal, my bag which I left directly under my legs was gone. Suspected it was an inside job, but I can't search the place since I had no evidence. Went to make a police report, and they called up the restaurant to check if they have any CCTV. Coincidentally, only the table I was sitting at was not covered by the CCTV since it was at a corner. From then on, my bag was tightly slung around me for all meals.

This is why foreigners love singapore. It's safe and faggots who do bad here get their asses whooped by our police/authorites. Nonetheless, Don't be discourage to travel by the bad news, You've got the best advises in the comments in this thread. Be alert and humble in your interactions with the locals in your travels. :thumbsup:

I had travelled for over 1 year from Middle East to Europe.
yet I don't bring anything expensive.
Whatever I bring to travel, I am mentally prepared to lose, so I will not bring anything that I am not willing to lose with me.

but then camera gear is the only difficult thing. unless there is one day i finally become comfortable using a film camera, which one can get within reasonable cost and reasonably good quality. the other being cash and card, for contigencies.

the other general advice, is "sheet" can happen to everyone, but "sheet" does not happen to everyone, so we just know things occur more frequently in certain places. so people who didn't have any things bad happen yet, is being lucky or had not yet travelled enough, rather than being more street-wise. at high risk locations, get the insurances, keep your receipts and invoices, bring out only what one needs for outing, and be aware of the nearest tourist police station. and like what wuffruff says have a measurement and balance of what u can afford to lose, and what you really want to shoot. that is a tight decision though.

Last edited:
I've been to South America many times - Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia. Argentina was relatively safe until the recession several years ago - there are many "Express" kidnappings, where they will grab a person, bring them to an ATM and withdraw cash - both tourists and native Argentinos. So, I do bring an ATM card with me, with little cash in the account for emergencies and usually leave it at the hotel safe. Buenos Aires is a big city, stick to the tourist areas and don't change money on the streets - I've gotten a counterfeit note before. Change at the Cambio de Casa, never mind that the rate is slightly higher. Sometimes banks in Argentina gives better rates, but you need your passport to change. In fact, any country in South America - don't change from street money changers.
Don't walk around with a tourist map. If you have to ask for directions - go to a store or ask a police officer.

Santiago centro is notorious for snatch thefts. The first time I went 12 years ago, noticed that almost everyone, while walking, would hold their handbags, briefcases very tightly and close to their bodies. That's a good indicator that snatch theft is rife in the city. The news have shown camera footages of people getting their bags snatched at traffic lights or their backpacks slashed from the back. So I learnt to not carry expensive stuff in my backpack, carry only my driver's licence (for ID purposes), if I'm not planning to shop - no credit card, only little cash in a small wallet or coin purse and stuff into my front jeans pocket, sometimes even safety pin the pocket and a little bottle of pepper spray in my jacket pocket - wear good running shoes! White waiting at traffic lights, I walk around so no-one would snuck up on me to slash or snatch my backpack. A bit paranoid, but it makes me feel secure. When drugs, alcohol and guns are easily available in countries you visit, best to be a bit kiah su. I ask friends or the hotel (at each city) the areas to avoid - there are always some parts of the city that's more dangerous than others.
I've heard stories about suitcases / bags being stolen at the airport in Lima Peru, even in Santiago. They work very fast so always watch your bags and someone wrote about watching out for little kids - yes, watch for groups of little kids. They can surround you and strip you bare and there's absolutely nothing you can do. If you're at the internet cafe, always put your backpack or bags in front of you, at your feet or within your reach. ..you won't know it's gone until it's gone. The last few times returning from Chile via Argentina found the locks on my suitcases missing and the zipper tabs broken. Nothing was taken from my suitcases - but as super paranoid Mammas would say - they might put stuff in your suitcases so spend a bit of money at the airport and get your suitcase cling wrapped! A Chileno told me the worst airports are in Lima and Buenos Aires - stuff goes missing while in transit waiting for a connecting flight.
That's not to say you should not visit these countries - I've never had problems in S.America - even though I traveled many times alone, by bus or flying, speaking little Spanish or Portugese. Best to visit South America now before too many shopping malls or international coffee chains open up.
Always try not to look too much like a tourist. The only time I got mugged was in Italy and was able to claim from my travel insurance. S.America's a great place to visit, backpackers are a friendly lot - nice way to meet fellow travelers, however, unless you're going to a hostel, don't share a room with a stranger aka fellow traveler - have heard that people have taken off with personal belongings, cash etc while the other was asleep.
Was never into photography but bought a DSLR this year and will be bringing camera + accessories when I go to Chile this Sept, so now I am getting paranoid!!:) My camera is on a Black Rapids strap and am thinking of wearing a jacket over it so hopefully my camera won't be so obvious and maybe carry a monopod with me...or hire a bodyguard? Ultimately it's better to loose a camera but keep your life...but I would surely like to whack the guy with the monopod first:) Happy travels.

I've been to South America many times - Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia. Argentina was relatively safe until the recession several years ago - there are many "Express" kidnappings, where they will grab a person, bring them to an ATM and withdraw cash - both tourists and native Argentinos. So, I do bring an ATM card with me, with little cash in the account for emergencies and usually leave it at the hotel safe. Buenos Aires is a big city, stick to the tourist areas and don't change money on the streets - I've gotten a counterfeit note before. Change at the Cambio de Casa, never mind that the rate is slightly higher. Sometimes banks in Argentina gives better rates, but you need your passport to change. In fact, any country in South America - don't change from street money changers.
Don't walk around with a tourist map. If you have to ask for directions - go to a store or ask a police officer.

Santiago centro is notorious for snatch thefts. The first time I went 12 years ago, noticed that almost everyone, while walking, would hold their handbags, briefcases very tightly and close to their bodies. That's a good indicator that snatch theft is rife in the city. The news have shown camera footages of people getting their bags snatched at traffic lights or their backpacks slashed from the back. So I learnt to not carry expensive stuff in my backpack, carry only my driver's licence (for ID purposes), if I'm not planning to shop - no credit card, only little cash in a small wallet or coin purse and stuff into my front jeans pocket, sometimes even safety pin the pocket and a little bottle of pepper spray in my jacket pocket - wear good running shoes! White waiting at traffic lights, I walk around so no-one would snuck up on me to slash or snatch my backpack. A bit paranoid, but it makes me feel secure. When drugs, alcohol and guns are easily available in countries you visit, best to be a bit kiah su. I ask friends or the hotel (at each city) the areas to avoid - there are always some parts of the city that's more dangerous than others.
I've heard stories about suitcases / bags being stolen at the airport in Lima Peru, even in Santiago. They work very fast so always watch your bags and someone wrote about watching out for little kids - yes, watch for groups of little kids. They can surround you and strip you bare and there's absolutely nothing you can do. If you're at the internet cafe, always put your backpack or bags in front of you, at your feet or within your reach. ..you won't know it's gone until it's gone. The last few times returning from Chile via Argentina found the locks on my suitcases missing and the zipper tabs broken. Nothing was taken from my suitcases - but as super paranoid Mammas would say - they might put stuff in your suitcases so spend a bit of money at the airport and get your suitcase cling wrapped! A Chileno told me the worst airports are in Lima and Buenos Aires - stuff goes missing while in transit waiting for a connecting flight.
That's not to say you should not visit these countries - I've never had problems in S.America - even though I traveled many times alone, by bus or flying, speaking little Spanish or Portugese. Best to visit South America now before too many shopping malls or international coffee chains open up.
Always try not to look too much like a tourist. The only time I got mugged was in Italy and was able to claim from my travel insurance. S.America's a great place to visit, backpackers are a friendly lot - nice way to meet fellow travelers, however, unless you're going to a hostel, don't share a room with a stranger aka fellow traveler - have heard that people have taken off with personal belongings, cash etc while the other was asleep.
Was never into photography but bought a DSLR this year and will be bringing camera + accessories when I go to Chile this Sept, so now I am getting paranoid!!:) My camera is on a Black Rapids strap and am thinking of wearing a jacket over it so hopefully my camera won't be so obvious and maybe carry a monopod with me...or hire a bodyguard? Ultimately it's better to loose a camera but keep your life...but I would surely like to whack the guy with the monopod first:) Happy travels.

nice sharing!