anyone can recommend a 'workhorse' quality notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I came from a dot com company which uses plenty of notebooks(60 a year), I can tell which is a no no... Acer, Dell, TwinHead, NEC and HP. Toshiba, fujitsu and IBM are reliable, but in terms of durability, I can only vote for IBM. Have used the x21, x31 and now T43. All gives super result. Changed them not because the are spoiled, but for faster CPU requirements. Still have the x31 where my wife is currently using.

Oh just to add, I drop my x31 twice from a 4 feet table top, and it survived! Note sure if others have droped their notebook b4? Not sure if a MAC can survive a 4 feet drop. MAC is cool, OS is also solid, but software if very hard to find, especially those "xxxxxxx" ones.:bsmilie:

ricohflex said:
strange
sony viao so ex
and no votes

well do not buy toshiba
bought one notebook long ago
quite junk and silly after sales service in Kallang Pudding says, even if is nothing wrong you have to pay fixed $ for us to look at it. After hearing this statement, I decided never to buy toshiba computers ever again. And never to recommend to anyone to buy.

prolly the vaio hasn't got value for money i guess ... i think toshiba notebook is really :thumbsd: too, using one 4-year old one now, bought with student discount (quality also discount) harddisk crashed and changed, screen spoilt and changed, frequent hangs, luckily all within warranty period ... sigh, simply give up.

lightning said:
Alright, I came from a dot com company which uses plenty of notebooks(60 a year), I can tell which is a no no... Acer, Dell, TwinHead, NEC and HP. Toshiba, fujitsu and IBM are reliable, but in terms of durability, I can only vote for IBM. Have used the x21, x31 and now T43. All gives super result. Changed them not because the are spoiled, but for faster CPU requirements. Still have the x31 where my wife is currently using.

Oh just to add, I drop my x31 twice from a 4 feet table top, and it survived! Note sure if others have droped their notebook b4? Not sure if a MAC can survive a 4 feet drop. MAC is cool, OS is also solid, but software if very hard to find, especially those "xxxxxxx" ones.:bsmilie:

:bsmilie: thanks, this has really got to sway my opinion

hi eikin,

i've been using twinhead laptop for the last 2 yrs,its local made.i use it for my cad and 3d softwares. eg 3dmax7 and maya.it still can do the job.if ur worried abt e speed just pump it up w all the ram u can put.cost? cheap:thumbsup:

IBM
dell
acer

glensky said:
hi eikin,

i've been using twinhead laptop for the last 2 yrs,its local made.i use it for my cad and 3d softwares. eg 3dmax7 and maya.it still can do the job.if ur worried abt e speed just pump it up w all the ram u can put.cost? cheap:thumbsup:

hi glensky, thanks for recommending. went to the twinhead laptop website, very sturdy workhorses indeed! can it be found easily? didn't notice any twinheads at funan, stores at sim lim carry them? want to see the real thing before deciding :D

eikin said:
hi glensky, thanks for recommending. went to the twinhead laptop website, very sturdy workhorses indeed! can it be found easily? didn't notice any twinheads at funan, stores at sim lim carry them? want to see the real thing before deciding :D
yeap its available at sim lim.but if u can wait for the next comp show they usually offer better deal in terms of combos and additional accessories.And one more thing tat i like w twinhead is their service...very prompt!they got one laptop tat is well built,spill proof keys and shock proof body.:cool:

yeah... IBM is a good choice for notebook.
considering my company refuse to get any new notebooks for us cos our T21 are still in perfect working condition :( it's juz too hardy to go down.

Go for IBM Thinkpad T43 (or whatever latest T or X series thinkpad available).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

glensky said:
Yah Twinhead is good. The one I got took a fall and still ok.

thanks so much for the recommendations and feedback everyone :thumbsup:

i have time up till mid march before leaving for overseas study, so have started to look into a new notebook for intensive usage. i guess the next PC/IT show is going to be at mid march too, so not sure if it'll be in time before i leave. anyway IBM is topping my list for now (in case i want to make the last minute 'rush' to get it during the year end discount period :bsmilie: ) and I'll like to take a look at twinhead's options as well given positive feedbacks here and from my friends. :cheers:

My company had a couple of t43, although I would recommend them like many bros here, do note that dis t43 seem to have some form of batch problems as compared to t42 series.

Example, my 2 colleagues had screen blackout problem which is ok after the motherboard replacement. My assigned t43 had the fan error msg which means the notebook will not boot up. It's ok after the fan replacement though.

Another thing to note:

If you are sending the notebook for repair, pls remember to take out any memory that you had slotted in b4 handing over to the tech center. I had 1 case where a 1gb memory was missing after the notebook was back from repair (which took 1 month due to shortage of parts) . After some arguments, IBM agreed to refund us a replacement 1gb module.

So remember, take out anything extras b4 u send it in to prevent after-repair problems & arguments like us.

Despite the slack in the service, I will still recommend the t43 series but insist on the 3 yrs warranty.

pegasus1010 said:
My company had a couple of t43, although I would recommend them like many bros here, do note that dis t43 seem to have some form of batch problems as compared to t42 series.

Example, my 2 colleagues had screen blackout problem which is ok after the motherboard replacement. My assigned t43 had the fan error msg which means the notebook will not boot up. It's ok after the fan replacement though.

Another thing to note:

If you are sending the notebook for repair, pls remember to take out any memory that you had slotted in b4 handing over to the tech center. I had 1 case where a 1gb memory was missing after the notebook was back from repair (which took 1 month due to shortage of parts) . After some arguments, IBM agreed to refund us a replacement 1gb module.

So remember, take out anything extras b4 u send it in to prevent after-repair problems & arguments like us.

Despite the slack in the service, I will still recommend the t43 series but insist on the 3 yrs warranty.

thanks for the advise :D one reason why i start to consider getting the notebook early is to have it tested in Singapore before bringing over to Japan, many stores are having festive deals now and prolly ending soon, still thinking if i should get it now or wait for the next PC/IT show, which can be happening somewhere just before i leave :( anyone has any news of the next coming PC/IT shows? as far as i heard the next one is around the march school holidays ...

I am quite a kan-chiong person, so I would get it now & start loading all softwares & mess with it rather than wait *if I am u*...:p

pegasus1010 said:
I am quite a kan-chiong person, so I would get it now & start loading all softwares & mess with it rather than wait *if I am u*...:p

still got 3 more months to NSS dividend handout :( ... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.