Anybody figured if i could slot in 5th battery for SB-600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
I am amazed at the full recycle time for SB-800 with 5th battery. You pay nearly 200 bucks more for a 6-AA pack with wires here and there and additional dangling load for just 0.2s improvement with another brand's flash.

So the question is, SB-600 can jam in the 5th battery compartment? :devil: If can, tonite i go Holland buy!

There is no way you can squeeze the 5th compartment into SB-600 or use additional Battery Pack such as the SD-7 or SD-8A because of its simplified design from SB-800. SB-800 has a additional of Modellling flash which is useful for some photographers. Thats is why many of the D70 owners prefer to buy SB-800. Below is the extract from D70 manual.

Flashcopy.jpg

Basket, just now i hit the power limit of SB-800. I need more power!!! Was using an umbrella to diffuse the flash set at 24mm. f11, ISO200, umbrella 1-1.5m away, night shoot portrait with Fullerton 1 as backdrop. Beeped loudly of insufficient power and client was underexposed. Used direct flash, bo bian. Now i see the pics, yucks. :angry:

Now what, get more SB-600s? ;p Umbrellas i have a lot (more assistants too? haha). Currently only 1 assistant..damn. Or do i have to get professional flash guns like those used by wedding pros? (big ones! Saw 2 wedding couples shooting just now)

Urm... the 5th battery doesn't supply higher power or makes the GN more for you, it only speeds up the recharging time. Same goes for the SD-8A.

espn said:
Urm... the 5th battery doesn't supply higher power or makes the GN more for you, it only speeds up the recharging time. Same goes for the SD-8A.

Yea, i was wondering if i could speed up the timing for a 2nd body, so that i don't need to get another 800 lor. (thinking of one body with normal zoom and the other with the WA 12-24). But come to think of it, wonder if they sell the pack seperately anyway, else it won't be of any use. But i guess can't fit.

AJ23 said:
Sorry for the OT, but, get a Power Pack. ;p

Call me cheapo, but I have a friend who does good DIY. ;p I just can't bring myself to buy stuff like $200 for 6AAs (not Nikon's though). ;p And i hate wires, imagine with 2 bodies somemore.

So maybe another 800 is still the better option.

2100 said:
Call me cheapo, but I have a friend who does good DIY. I just can't bring myself to buy stuff like $200 for 6AAs (not Nikon's though). And i hate wires, imagine with 2 bodies somemore.

So maybe another 800 is still the better option.

The Power Pack I meant was studio strobe with external power pack. :)

eg1. Bowens
eg2. Elinchrom

:devil: :devil: :devil:

AJ23 said:
The Power Pack I meant was studio strobe with external power pack. :)

Time to pour over the 2nd hand mags like shutterbug/practical photography i received from my relative. :devil: I know nuts about studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.