Any Wine Lover Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for me.....i'm an old wine freak.....

more into italians...

barolos, babarescos, brunellos, etc

aussie wines? .... i'm past that period ......

i'm an idiot in whites.....so don't mind if you guys can share about whites so that i can try to enjoy?

you may want to try cloudy bay's savignon blanc.

or Kim Crawford Marlborough Savignon blanc. both are screw caps iirc. for the kim crawford, you can smell the crispness and freshness of the wine immediately upon unscrewing the cap. bought a bottle immediately.

NTUC @ farrer road sometimes has wine tasting. just try a few and buy 1 that you like.

sometimes you read those wine critics say this wine of lychee, got mango, got this, got that. when I drink, I was thinking, got meh?

Wow, alot of wine experts here. For me, am pretty much a novice in this area and keen to learn more about this expensive drinking habit. Generally, can afford those not more than $30 range of wine and some of these are pretty good; at least to me. I like the Kangaroo Ridge 2003 Merlot and love it - cheap and good. ;) Recently, taken a liking for Riesling and will be going for some German Riesling. Moscato is also one that I like. A refreshing drink, albeit with a low alcohol content, good for a hot day. To me, a good wine may not necessarily be expensive.

I've tried the Fattoria Aldobrandesca Aleatico Toscana (think the emblem is a griffin)

Sweet red. usually available in half-bottles (500ml). used to be available in DFS but heard lately DFS doesn't carry it anymore, or may be out of stock.

ooohhh..... u into jammy reds?

hmmmmm never tried those b4...

i noe DFS carries banfi recently especially the summus...... think i have a vertical on that.... till 99..... but they are really "okay only"

the ones that are interesting are those from the not so commercially oriented vineyards...

i'm intending to try some of these:-

Massolino Barolo 2001
Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 2000
Giovanni Manzone Barolo Le Gramolere Riserva 1996

dunno how they will fare

Wow, alot of wine experts here. For me, am pretty much a novice in this area and keen to learn more about this expensive drinking habit. Generally, can afford those not more than $30 range of wine and some of these are pretty good; at least to me. I like the Kangaroo Ridge 2003 Merlot and love it - cheap and good. ;) Recently, taken a liking for Riesling and will be going for some German Riesling. Moscato is also one that I like. A refreshing drink, albeit with a low alcohol content, good for a hot day. To me, a good wine may not necessarily be expensive.

can try black tower. but sometimes, if too much, may feel like drinking chewing gum.

i'm intending to try some of these:-

Massolino Barolo 2001
Mauro Sebaste Barolo Monvigliero 2000
Giovanni Manzone Barolo Le Gramolere Riserva 1996

dunno how they will fare

where can u find these? crystal wine?

nobody into italian wines like me and another of my friend? :(

Grappa de Chianti Classico...
Puts hair on yer chest and fire in yer belly! ;)

I pref trying the not-so-common varietals, such as Tarrango, Mouvedre, Carmenere..

Any fav wine celler to go? Looking for those that allow you to do wine tasting before you buy.

Grappa de Chianti Classico...
Puts hair on yer chest and fire in yer belly! ;)

Heard alot about Chianti from my friend and recently tried a bottle of Rufino Chianti but found its acidity too much for my liking.

you may want to try cloudy bay's savignon blanc.

or Kim Crawford Marlborough Savignon blanc. both are screw caps iirc. for the kim crawford, you can smell the crispness and freshness of the wine immediately upon unscrewing the cap. bought a bottle immediately.

NTUC @ farrer road sometimes has wine tasting. just try a few and buy 1 that you like.

sometimes you read those wine critics say this wine of lychee, got mango, got this, got that. when I drink, I was thinking, got meh?

hahahaha thats what i used to be for the red! got liquorice meh....earth?!?!?!? u mean people actually ate earth ?! else how they know it taste liddat? leather?! the list goes on...

after sometime trying out not so nice and nice and better wines..u start discerning tastes and it all becomes very subjective and your nose/tastebuds will slowly start to seperate the tastings and aromas individually......

cloudy bay's blanc, i've tried b4.... i tried an old brown brothers chenin blanc last time....think past the prime but was quite well kept....still din like...

i went napa valley last year...bought a kentridgevalley sauv blanc...... was light and fruity and sweetish..and no hint of turning "sourish" ..... wasn't too dry...think was more medium...but what i'm looking for are...how to discern the apricots or mandarins or applecrush in white wines?. ...am i looking up a wrong bottle?

generally i don't believe in those new "simi spiked flavoursome wines.." to me and old world fella.... thats destroying the art of producing wines.... so things like arbormist and whatnot...those are hideous! LOL

:p

Any fav wine celler to go? Looking for those that allow you to do wine tasting before you buy.

at first, tot you meant those for keeping wine.

heard from friends that there's 1 somewhere in tiong bahru where their wines are in barrels. they allow u to try out before deciding to buy by glass or bottle. any1 knows exactly where's the place? sorry, i don't know the name too.

black tower?? care to elaborate?

u can find this label in NTUC. the bottle is in opaque black, kinda frosted surface. think they have riesling and savg blanc too. they now also have red.

avail in full and quarter? (375ml) bottles.

black tower?? care to elaborate?

tried black tower ......was so so to me....

chianti is very acidic i find.....some riservas are not too bad...but like i said...i'm more into barolos and brunellos, babarettas, babarescos and all the Bs :p

LOL!

not that i won't wanna go out and go for chiantis!

LOL

should i be evil and try to convert some of u guys to italian wine drinkers?

take a bottle of penfolds say...the now super expensive bin 407 cab sauv and then go buy a bottle of good italian wines...dun need to be too ex kind...say GD Vajra Langhe Rosso 2002

once u allow the wine to breathe for the same time...

take a whiff of the 407 followed by the Rosso or vice versa...

for 407, typically, berries, slightly sweetish perfumed..... u noe..typical aussie fare......always fruitty and floral.....

for the Rosso......smells literally like the soil u use to plant your little shrubs!!!! ....some will be turned off....but those who continue to try to "disect" it...will start smelling like leather....u noe...those real leather sunned out till dry.... a very slightly tar...but the main strong stay is the earth.....

when tasting.....the 407 is wonderfully full bodied..... very rich, powerful, and surprisingly not jammy...in fact...spices and oak a lil vanillas will develope if u give it time to air.....

the Rosso is a medium bodied, not that rich ....but very very complex in flavours.....not so berrish like the 407...but alot of vanillas, very rounded, cookie kinda taste..........

both have a long finish..........the rosso gives a surprisingly twist at the end of that finish.....try it and see if u have the same notings as me

*the above is just to wet your apetite....... and is based on my own tongue...your tongue may be different :bsmilie: *

is it true that wine has health benefits ?

;)

not ALL wines...

RED wines has the MOST of reservetol which keeps your heart healthy...

BUT BUT BUT! keep it to 1 glass a day..... (for me.......erm...thats the hardest to control!)

nobody opens a fine wine and slowly drink over the week!

so usually i open the bottle and have it with my family.....just nice for 1 glass or 2 :p

tried black tower ......was so so to me....

chianti is very acidic i find.....some riservas are not too bad...but like i said...i'm more into barolos and brunellos, babarettas, babarescos and all the Bs :p

LOL!

not that i won't wanna go out and go for chiantis!

LOL

should i be evil and try to convert some of u guys to italian wine drinkers?

take a bottle of penfolds say...the now super expensive bin 407 cab sauv and then go buy a bottle of good italian wines...dun need to be too ex kind...say GD Vajra Langhe Rosso 2002

once u allow the wine to breathe for the same time...

take a whiff of the 407 followed by the Rosso or vice versa...

for 407, typically, berries, slightly sweetish perfumed..... u noe..typical aussie fare......always fruitty and floral.....

for the Rosso......smells literally like the soil u use to plant your little shrubs!!!! ....some will be turned off....but those who continue to try to "disect" it...will start smelling like leather....u noe...those real leather sunned out till dry.... a very slightly tar...but the main strong stay is the earth.....

when tasting.....the 407 is wonderfully full bodied..... very rich, powerful, and surprisingly not jammy...in fact...spices and oak a lil vanillas will develope if u give it time to air.....

the Rosso is a medium bodied, not that rich ....but very very complex in flavours.....not so berrish like the 407...but alot of vanillas, very rounded, cookie kinda taste..........

*the above is just to wet your apetite....... and is based on my own tongue...your tongue may be different :bsmilie: *

Wow, u must have a very very good nose and tongue. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bsmilie: Alot of us novice can't even smell or taste the differences in each bottle of wine.

Actually, you can get hints of different fruits, nuts, grasses, sometimes even the sea..
Must 'train' your nose, tongue and palette gradually, (a.k.a. drink quite a bit) before realising the nuances of the flavours..

Went for a wine tasting once, of which one was from the Golan..
Needless to say, it tasted of diesel and gunpowder..:confused:

And I've tried a wine that smelled like toilet-cleaning solution, another was 'foxy', others like grass, bananas, peach/apricot, green apple-skins etc..
Also there were wonderfully lengthy wines that lingered 10-20mins after tasting... Shiok!

Btw Italian wines are usually paired with food, without which most may be too strong to stand alone..

Just my say.. ;)

Wow, u must have a very very good nose and tongue. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bsmilie: Alot of us novice can't even smell or taste the differences in each bottle of wine.

i'm okay....i must agree that i've got a very sensitive tongue.....

typical old fart traditional cantonese lar..... (although i look si bei small boy.....)

my mum is a fantastic cook who still uses traditional laborious cooking methods and techniques..... no such thing as FLOUR or MSG or seasoning and what not....

so been trained to be able to discern flavours from young...

i think the main thing is it takes time to develope the sensitivity to pick up various "components".. just like photography wad...i still suck at it..coz i'm not good in handling angles and compositions and lightings and communication wtih models....

all of which gel together to give u a great picture ? no?

i'm okay....i must agree that i've got a very sensitive tongue.....

typical old fart traditional cantonese lar..... (although i look si bei small boy.....)

my mum is a fantastic cook who still uses traditional laborious cooking methods and techniques..... no such thing as FLOUR or MSG or seasoning and what not....

so been trained to be able to discern flavours from young...

i think the main thing is it takes time to develope the sensitivity to pick up various "components".. just like photography wad...i still suck at it..coz i'm not good in handling angles and compositions and lightings and communication wtih models....

all of which gel together to give u a great picture ? no?

I guess I still have alot to learn about wine drinking. It's great learning from you here. ;) :thumbsup: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.