Any Recommendation for Micro Hifi $400-$800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I auditioned one of JVC's wood cone based mini/micro-hifis before and sound reproduction was superb.

:Later,

Bro, which 1 u audition.

I am thinking of taking a look too cos it got metallic tweeters (I think i a bit nutz over it)

While I would recommend the JVC woodcone series, I actually bought myself a pair of Usher Audio S520 speakers (http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-S-520.html) and paired it with a Dared hybrid integrated amp (can't remember the model). I spent about a week in Taipei every month and remember having paid the equivalent of about S$230 for the speakers with a gloss piano black finish and another S$276 or so for the Dared amp. This amp has a line input and also a USB input. The output from your CD player can be connected to the line input while the USB port can take input from your PC or MP3/iPod player. By doing so, you thus bypass the DAC in the PC and portable player and the digital to analogue conversion is done by the DAC in the Dared amp, which as far as I am concerned is certainly of a higher grade than that in the PC and especially the portable player. Throw in some cheap speaker cables and interconnects and you will have a decent audio system. Aesthetic wise, the S520 speakers are certainly well built and its finish is comparable to much more expensive speakers and the Dared amp with its pair of vacuum tubes that glow is beautiful as well. The S520 comes in a cheaper finish as well and is also available in other colours. However, if you are looking for a remote control, the Dared amp does not have one.

I believe prices in Singapore especially for the S520 speakers are definitely higher but they are not that heavy and you can simply check in them as part of your luggage.

Cool! I will take a look.

Current option: LG FB163. Yet to audition JVC.
Not willing to shell out $ for yamaha piano series.

Objective: trying to assemble a system for $600. Hopefully, can outdo the Yamaha Piano series

To audit:
Usher Audio S520 (As suggested)
JBL E20 (I think cannot find liao)
Diamond 9.1 speakers

See how much left over for AMP.

Am I nutz to build a <$600 system to outdo Yamaha Piano sound?

Go to Sinamex and buy a pair of KRK Rokit5 active nearfield monitors, then get a cheap Samsung DVD player to play your CDs. Should cost you less than $600 and give you great sound. I'm more into active monitors instead of amp+passive monitors nowadays.

Wow... cool.... must take a look.

Wah.. How good does it sound?

Don't know. Never audition it before. Fancy marketing from LG perhaps. Even Lexus uses Mark Levinson-brand car system these days.

However, I know they will never sound as good as 'real' Mark Levinson setups (Not that I like his products. In fact, I find most of them harsh sounding).

Last edited:
I got 1 pair of Duke standing speaker, 1 Millenium sub woofer, 1 sherewood amplifier, 1 samsung dvd player, all for $400.
Sound better than any micro system.

I got 1 pair of Duke standing speaker, 1 Millenium sub woofer, 1 sherewood amplifier, 1 samsung dvd player, all for $400.
Sound better than any micro system.

dun sound micro leh.... :sweatsm:

Hmm

Maybe I should change the topic name...

Looks like I am going to try out a Hifi because I discover it is possible with the budget... hehe... (Like $800 for DSLR.. Possible!!!)

Anyway, does any1 know whether any1 of these AMP cost <$400?

Marantz PM4001
Marantz PM6002
Rotel RA-04 --> Was $400++ in 2006.

I called KEC to check the speakers and the price was 20% more than Alpha Audio.. Do you need to negotiate price with KEC? Camera shops typically dun need negotiate.. Hows Alpha Audio?

I'm currently using my Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers hooked up to my iPhone dock... love the sound :sweat::p

Hmm

Maybe I should change the topic name...

Looks like I am going to try out a Hifi because I discover it is possible with the budget... hehe... (Like $800 for DSLR.. Possible!!!)

Anyway, does any1 know whether any1 of these AMP cost <$400?

Marantz PM4001
Marantz PM6002
Rotel RA-04 --> Was $400++ in 2006.

I called KEC to check the speakers and the price was 20% more than Alpha Audio.. Do you need to negotiate price with KEC? Camera shops typically dun need negotiate.. Hows Alpha Audio?

If you are willing to go 2nd hand, your choice will be even more, and you maybe able to get better amp for less.

Think it's EX-A10. Can't really remember the exact model, just based it on the similarity (i.e. looks) with what I've seen through google. :sweat:

:Later,

if got 2 deck (amp/tuner + DVD) then its EX-A10 liao. i remember last time got another 1-decked model but i think phase out liao.

Ok I did all my homework liao.. Later going to audition with the CD that made the wife conclude that we need a sound system. I merely played 1 CD via the Samsung home theater and it was awful. i played it on PC speaker and it was beautiful.. Surprisingly Lisa Ono sound fine with both!

What I am going to try

Diamond 9.1 --> $300++ $400
Some Mission Speakers --> May skip

PM4001 (<$300).. The only 1 within my budget
PM6002. Very low chance.. the only diff is the power supply is cleaner.. But if you dun blast music, seriously no diff.
CA 340 --> 1 pretty AMP.. $399.. A bit ex. Could not find info on the internal specs

Dark horses (will give a miss if I ok with the system
Q Acoustic 1020
Tannoy Mercury F1

Hi

Bought a pair of Mission speakers with Cambridge AMP for $720. Thanks for all the feedback.. The sound is :thumbsup: I am busy replaying all my CDs now. I could never hear the Cello playing behind some of my CDs last time!

Ok since this thread does not have much reply and discussion seem to finish, shall we close the thread?

Hi

Bought a pair of Mission speakers with Cambridge AMP for $720. Thanks for all the feedback.. The sound is :thumbsup: I am busy replaying all my CDs now. I could never hear the Cello playing behind some of my CDs last time!

Ok since this thread does not have much reply and discussion seem to finish, shall we close the thread?

how u play ur CDs? :bigeyes:

Don't know. Never audition it before. Fancy marketing from LG perhaps. Even Lexus uses Mark Levinson-brand car system these days.

However, I know they will never sound as good as 'real' Mark Levinson setups (Not that I like his products. In fact, I find most of them harsh sounding).
Never really listen to the products seriously because don't have the dough for them. :p Now my favourite is my pair of KRK Rokit5 with a modified (Burr-Brown opamps, gain reduced by 20dB) Musical Fidelity DAC taking digital output from a $60 Akai DVD player. ;p

Wow... cool.... must take a look.

Dun need to use your eyes.. just close your eyes and listen.. :p you'll never want to waste your time and $$ with consumer hifi again.. :p

Never really listen to the products seriously because don't have the dough for them. :p Now my favourite is my pair of KRK Rokit5 with a modified (Burr-Brown opamps, gain reduced by 20dB) Musical Fidelity DAC taking digital output from a $60 Akai DVD player. ;p

Wow, how much did this setup cost you? Musical Fidelity products are quite ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.