Any legal / rights issues with celebrity photographs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That relates to authorship of copyright (actually an exception to the usual rules of authorship of copyright in photographs) and not model releases per se actually, somewhat related but not directly :)

simplicity_ said:
Does the photographer have the right to reproduce the photos as prints for sales or as digital copies on the Internet?

to answer this qns, it wld seem that if you're being engaged as the photographer, then no, you're not allowed to reproduce the photos for sales or as digital copies.

quote from IPOS website:
Photographer or artist If a photographer is engaged to take photograph of a person or an artist is engaged to draw a portrait of a person, that person owns the copyright and has the right to restrain the photographer or artist from using the photograph or painting for any purpose that he has not agreed to.

See Vince, know how I feel sometimes?

What about photographers shooting at a red carpet event?
Some of them actually sell the images of celebrities they shot at the red carpet on the internet hours after the event is over.

Or what about paparazzis? They sneak, shoot & sell...make lots of $$$$$$$ :nono:

simplicity_ said:
Does the photographer have the right to reproduce the photos as prints for sales or as digital copies on the Internet?

to answer this qns, it wld seem that if you're being engaged as the photographer, then no, you're not allowed to reproduce the photos for sales or as digital copies.

quote from IPOS website:
Photographer or artist If a photographer is engaged to take photograph of a person or an artist is engaged to draw a portrait of a person, that person owns the copyright and has the right to restrain the photographer or artist from using the photograph or painting for any purpose that he has not agreed to.

by the same analogy, the photographer owns the copyright when he pays the 'model' to photograph her. right?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Jed said:
See Vince, know how I feel sometimes?

vince123123 said:
For those who said that releases are needed, i'd like to know two qns

Qn...is a release necessary?
Qn...what is the legal basis for saying a release is necessary?

Errrrrhhhhh we thot u were a fully trained laywer ? so why the questions ?

Ok my goof - tangled issue from legal perspective unless maybe if this was an area of law that is what you do on a daily basis - trademark, patent rights, copyrights and IP issues. Even then with the limited amount of local case law and applicable overseas case law it is still a jungle.

There is always the 11th commandment way - just do it fast , run like hell and do not get caught. ....aaaaa it applies for a wide range of activities from hmmmm adultry, tax evasion, con jobs, rip offs, being naughty....... But remember not matter what you will get caught sometimes..... then be prepared to pay the price.

Seriously - I think the thread starter should go get professional advice that is paid for, freebies advice from professionals tend to be a touch difficult to get.

Witness said:
yes a release is important....unless i am super sure i will not want to have anything to do with the photos after i settle the post processing....the best is to get a release....

calisc....which one do u want.....model??? juvenile model??? event????

i send u...(mine's also downloaded from somewhere, but after changin it to a more user friendly format and the removal of some clauses that people here dun really like)....

cheers!!

Witness, can you email to tagore@starhub.net.sg
would greatly appreciate it man.

Sion said:
You can go to:

http://photography.about.com/cs/businessforms/

to download PDFs of MR forms from ASMP.

Don't thank me. Thank the interent.

Cannot get in. Will try later. thank you and everyone else

what about street photography?

can the person in the street being photographed sue the photographer? :sweat:

My thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback. As it will be a commercial project, formal legal advice will definitely be consulted. I posted here also because I wanted to get some feedback from the photographers' community.

As far as I know street photography normally happens in a public domain so by right there is no issues with taking someone's photograph. Provided those photos are taken tastefully. However, if the subject does mind, he/she can probably sue in a civil case for invasion of privacy.

Actually there are no privacy laws in Singapore, at best i think you can sue for defamatory photos? :dunno:

calisc said:
My thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback. As it will be a commercial project, formal legal advice will definitely be consulted. I posted here also because I wanted to get some feedback from the photographers' community.

As far as I know street photography normally happens in a public domain so by right there is no issues with taking someone's photograph. Provided those photos are taken tastefully. However, if the subject does mind, he/she can probably sue in a civil case for invasion of privacy.

insomia said:
Errrrrhhhhh we thot u were a fully trained laywer ? so why the questions ?

Because there are a lot of misconceptions floating around, and instead of responding with the correct answers, he's decided to pose questions to hopefully get people to realise that they might not know the basis of their statements.

Primarily because he's got more tact than me; the last time I had the same idea I decided to refer someone to my signature and got totally blasted for it, instead of giving a direct answer to help. This way he does the same thing without getting blasted for not giving a direct answer to clear things up. Right Belle&Sebastain?

insomia said:
freebies advice from professionals tend to be a touch difficult to get.

Same reason for why pros don't shoot for free ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.