Any FX lens to recommend for D600?

Hi Bro,

I bought into the D600 system just one week ago. Used to have 5D , Leica M9 and Fuji X-Pro1 system.

Instead of getting zooms, I got the 3Gs immediately and I must say I am most impressed with their qualities!!! I have the 28G, 50G and 85G all F1.8. All the prices add up to the price of a quality zoom, and you have bright aperture of F1.8. These lens have optical qualities much their pro counterparts, and they are very usable wide open. The prices are reasonable. My impression when I had my Canon system is that the nikon consumer series (cheap) is optically better than the Canon ones. For the Canon 50 F1.4, wide open, contrast is low and sharpness is not there.

Well, the built is plasticky , the lesser weight is a plus point. None the less, I will still classify them as well-built. The main reason why I have bought the D600 is because it is smaller and lighter and I have no qualms bringing the DSLR out.

For a one lens set-up, for easy carry-around, I have also bought a 35mm F2. I find the 35mm most versatile for my shorting style.

@ elixir Nikon company love gear user like you....

GReddyZC76 said:
sir anything issues with type Ds lenses ?

Just that the newer G type lenses are generally superior optically.

If you have ever been an ex-Leica user, it will warp your perception of value.

Any (or rather most) new Leica lens can cost a whole D600 system with afew fixed lens. Though expensive,the system still has its own quirks (eg rangefinder misalignment, bad LCD, bad high ISO, no AF, mfd of at least 0.7M etc etc).

D600 seems so high tech suddenly. Haha. Only problem is that it is still bulky by comparison.

Just that the newer G type lenses are generally superior optically.

Correct me if I'm wrong (since I just started using Nikon recently), IIRC D type lens are screw drive AF compared to the G series which are AF-S on SWM right?

avsquare said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (since I just started using Nikon recently), IIRC D type lens are screw drive AF compared to the G series which are AF-S on SWM right?

AF lens got "G" label is for last batch on AF + G version an without aperture ring.
But still using screw drive AF.

AF-S mean has been built in SWM.

These 2 pictures shows the bokeh of the 50mm f1.4 Af-D with back lighting.

f2_51.jpg

@f2.5

f2_82.jpg

@f2.8

It was cleared from my dry cabinet after that. One man's meat is another man's poison btw :)

AF lens got "G" label is for last batch on AF + G version an without aperture ring.
But still using screw drive AF.

AF-S mean has been built in SWM.

Ah I see, I must have not seen a AF lens with G label yet..

Sorry ah new bird in the house, Nikkor lens' labeling really more complicated than Canon's, cos Nikon body have backward compatibility and also Nikkor lens really have a lot of abbreviations ;p

avsquare said:
Ah I see, I must have not seen a AF lens with G label yet..

Sorry ah new bird in the house, Nikkor lens' labeling really more complicated than Canon's, cos Nikon body have backward compatibility and also Nikkor lens really have a lot of abbreviations ;p

Canon what I knew is EF-S or EF or FT?
If do not show USM an do not have Super fast focusing that it

Nikon in AF-D or non-D meant non-D do not built in collected chip & optical coating not as rich color than AF-D lens & heavy CA with Vignetting on AF non-D lens.

If not understand and refer to www.kenrockwell.com

Last edited:
Canon what I knew is EF-S or EF or FT?
If do not show USM an do not have Super fast focusing that it

Nikon in AF-D or non-D meant non-D do not built in collected chip & optical coating not as rich color than AF-D lens & heavy CAs on AF non-D lens.

Yah lor, current Canon line very simple one:
FX = EF, DX = EF-S
SWM = USM, although USM have micro-USM which is used in older design "consumer class" lens. The newer and "better" ones are ring-USM which is the best USM.

Other than that, nothing much to remember. But Nikkor got AF, AF-S, AF-D, G, N (nano-coating) etc, a bit confusing at times.

And I think Nikkon claims all their AF-S G line up are all weather sealed? I think I read somewhere, these lens have the rubber gasket like Canon's L weather-sealed lens. But IDK, I find it hard to believe that all AF-S G lens with the rubber gasket is really weather-sealed like Canon's weather sealed lens. I mean, my cheap 50mm f/1.8G lens is weather sealed? :confused:

avsquare said:
Yah lor, current Canon line very simple one:
FX = EF, DX = EF-S
SWM = USM, although USM have micro-USM which is used in older design "consumer class" lens. The newer and "better" ones are ring-USM which is the best USM.

Other than that, nothing much to remember. But Nikkor got AF, AF-S, AF-D, G, N (nano-coating) etc, a bit confusing at times.

And I think Nikkon claims all their AF-S G line up are all weather sealed? I think I read somewhere, these lens have the rubber gasket like Canon's L weather-sealed lens. But IDK, I find it hard to believe that all AF-S G lens with the rubber gasket is really weather-sealed like Canon's weather sealed lens. I mean, my cheap 50mm f/1.8G lens is weather sealed? :confused:

Nikon weather sealed only for Gold Ring lens.
All the G is not mean you can bring up for rain shoot.
Some weather is mean bad weather in western country or snowing day at low temp. still able to operate.

Nikon weather sealed only for Gold Ring lens.
All the G is not mean you can bring up for rain shoot.
Some weather is mean bad weather in western country or snowing day at low temp. still able to operate.

Thanks for the clarification :D
Have been trying to find an answer via Google but keep finding conflicting answers :cry:

avsquare said:
Thanks for the clarification :D
Have been trying to find an answer via Google but keep finding conflicting answers :cry:

Find Him : Ken RockWell

If you have ever been an ex-Leica user, it will warp your perception of value.

Any (or rather most) new Leica lens can cost a whole D600 system with afew fixed lens. Though expensive,the system still has its own quirks (eg rangefinder misalignment, bad LCD, bad high ISO, no AF, mfd of at least 0.7M etc etc).

D600 seems so high tech suddenly. Haha. Only problem is that it is still bulky by comparison.

Leica is an emotional thing, frankly many "think" or perceive their images are better "shot with a Leica".... I can tell you I can get more images of a higher quality with my gear in my Signature.

( I'm an ex Leica M9P with 50 1.4 ASPH User )

Totally off topic - but Leica thinking their 2012 release APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH is worth USD $7,195 is an utter joke for this "luxury brand".

Last edited:
Leica is an emotional thing, frankly many "think" or perceive their images are better "shot with a Leica".... I can tell you I can get more images of a higher quality with my gear in my Signature.

( I'm an ex Leica M9P with 50 1.4 ASPH User )

Totally off topic - but Leica thinking their 2012 release APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH is worth USD $7,195 is an utter joke for this "luxury brand".

I know what u mean. I still have many m lenses and I cannot rule out going back to Leica, pending for the launch of the Leica M and its reviews.

Nevertheless, a D600 can do many things that a Leica can't, especially for shooting my baby gal, which fast AF and close-up ability is a must. Hope the D600 is here to stay ( for me) and I can still enjoy different gears for their own merits.

+1 on what Daredevil said about the 50mm. Go for the 1.8 G.

I own the 50mm 1.4 G. It's a superb lens, but if I have to start over, I will go for the 1.8. Cheaper and do its job.