Angkor Wat - To bring tripod or not?

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Should I lug a tripod around Angkor Wat?
I will be travelling with a friend in motorbike with the 3 day pass.
Another thing is, I read on the sticky thread that commercial photographers now need to seek approval at the headquarters office and although I'm not taking photos for profit, you know how it is with these people that they will think you are a commercial photographer if you are using a tripod.
I don't want to waste time with all that hassle.
Anyone has any experience with tripod after this ruling came out?

If u do sunrise sun set and want the sharpest possible image I would suggest a tripod. I went to water fall as well which I use tripod as well.

I am going, too, this weekend. Better bring along a tripod for sunrise,sunset. Even if authorities say later that you can't bring it into the temple,you can still shoot sunrise and sunset from the fringe of the moat, before entering the gateway. If you don't bring your tripod and find out later that the authorities allow, you'll regret not bringing it.

I was last in Siem Reap in early Dec before the commercial photo info came out. Before this visit I have been to Angkor Wat three times. The problem with tripod will not be from the authorities but from other photographers' tripods trying to block your view of the sunrise. My guide took us for the sunrise of Angkor Wat at 4.30am and I strongly advise you get as close to the water's edge as possible.

For elsewhere, the temples are really crowded and may not have room for your tripod unless you can find a deserted spot.

I will use the tripod only for sunrise/sunsets. Not practical to use inside the temples because of the crowd and space constraints. Just up the ISO if needed.

I would seriously think you should bring it along unless your tripod is like humongous like a Gitzo 3 or 5 series type. If image quality is what you seek, a travel tripod should fit in nicely even in a hand carry luggage.

Off track a bit - If you are into serious photography, tell your guide you want to avoid the crowds and he will tell you the best time to go to each temple. My guide brought us to Bayon temple at 4.30pm and it was almost deserted. So it's good to get a guide and support the local economy! If you have a travel tripod, bring it everywhere, you never know when you can need it.

Off track a bit - If you are into serious photography, tell your guide you want to avoid the crowds and he will tell you the best time to go to each temple. My guide brought us to Bayon temple at 4.30pm and it was almost deserted. So it's good to get a guide and support the local economy! If you have a travel tripod, bring it everywhere, you never know when you can need it.

agree with the great recommendation from sgciti55. if cannot avoid crowd, then maybe find some nice angle to include the crowd into the frame "enjoying" the sunset view. might be a different feel to the same location with no people.

The tripod is a must for the sunrise/ sunset shots leh...

You should bring a tripod if this is a serious photography trip. But try to get those for travel. Other then that, do bring a jungle hat, sunglass, sunblock. A light poncho in case it rain.

Enjoy.